Will a new system sound better than my Kenwood?

G

graphage

Audiophyte
Hello, I currently have a 20 year old Kenwood HTIB that had KS-505HT for the front & center, SW-35HT for the sub. I left the surround speakers at my old house and I have no doubt the receiver needs an upgrade simply because the connections are out of date (ie; no HDMI, etc)

I am looking at the SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 package. It fits my budget, which is about 1000 for speakers and 500 for a receiver.

Would this be an upgrade in sound quality? Particular for the 3 fronts and the sub?

Any insight would be appreciated.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Absolutely

If you like I can list a couple of systems that would be better for a thousand bucks

What size room is this system going in

G

graphage

Audiophyte
Thanks Mazer, that'd be great. The room is 15' wide x 18' long with vaulted ceiling. Approximately 2,700 cubic feet.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Mazer, that'd be great. The room is 15' wide x 18' long with vaulted ceiling. Approximately 2,700 cubic feet.
Any limitations on speaker size like do they have to be satellites can they be bookshelves can they be floorstanders

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
System #1
Ascend Acoustics 340
RSL Speedwoofer

This system can also be purchased using all 170's instead of the 340's as main L/R to keep the cost down closer to a thousand if you need to do that

G

graphage

Audiophyte
Thank you Mazer, I appreciate the recommendation. I have been provided some size restrictions and this will be too large. I'm sure it sounds great though!

G

graphage

Audiophyte
Thank you Mazer, the RSL 5.1 looks to fit the size requirements. I will dig into it some more. This will be better sound quality than my old Kenwood?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you Mazer, the RSL 5.1 looks to fit the size requirements. I will dig into it some more. This will be better sound quality than my old Kenwood?
I'm sure would be a better sound quality than the old Kenwood's I also believe that the Speedwoofer subwoofer would be a better fit for your size room then the SVS SB1000
You could also purchase the SVS Prime satellites and still purchase the RSL speedwoofer separately and put that system together

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
That RSL only goes down to 100 Hz while the sony will do 50 hz, if you were to listen to music in pure direct I'm afraid it won't have enough low end to produce for the music. Idk about the RSL, to me it looks like a copy of KEF. Seriously consider the sonys instead of the RSL 5.1 he has mentioned:

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Thanks! I had been looking at the Denon AVR-S750H, which Costo also happens to have for $399. What do you think about the Denon compared to the Yamaha?
The Yamaha TSR 700 has pre-outs for left & right speakers, has more watts/ channel RMS 100 watts vs Denon's 75 watts. Also supports 8K, it's a no brainer to get the Yamaha TSR700 over the Denon.

Also, Yamaha will sound better for music, please look at those 1-star reviews on Amazon for Denon 750H

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would just go for a 2.1 system in this price range. I would consider a pair of KEF Q350s along with a Hsu VTF-2 mk5 and the best Yamaha AVR that you can afford with the money that is left in the budget. Go with quality over quantity.

G

graphage

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone. I have some good news! I confirmed that I can focus more on the bookshelf size rather than satellite size. This should help add some quality to the system. Budget is still $1.5k for the 5.1 and receiver. I plan to keep working through all the suggestions during the next couple of evenings.

Last edited:
G

graphage

Audiophyte
Hello everyone, I have read through all of your suggestions and thought I would provide an update and seek more guidance.

Recap:
Room is 15x18 with vaulted ceilings. Approx 2,700 cubic feet. TV is in the corner of short wall. Main listening position is on opposite short wall, about 15 feet away.
There is a kitchen to the side via a half wall.
95% movies
I'd like it to be loud and clear, but I don't want the neighbors to necessarily know it either, so I don't need it to be overkill.

Looking for:
5.1 system and receiver
Fronts need to be bookshelf or satellite
Subwoofer needs to be on the smaller side, so likely sealed to keep the size under 15" square
Budget 1500

Here is what I have narrowed it down to for the 5:
4x RSL CG3 with RSL CG23 for the Center

OR

5x Ascend HTM-200 SE

Subwoofer:
RSL Speedwoofer 10S
SVS SB1000
SVS SB2000 (a little more than I would like to spend, but not out of the question if the other 2 options are not adequate)
Is there another option that fits the under 15" size requirement?

Receiver:
Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco. I read a lot of reviews about it being glitchy, but people seem to really believe in it. It seemed some of the issues were around game systems, which I don't have.

I welcome your thoughts on which options to choose from here.

Thank you.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Here is what I have narrowed it down to for the 5:
4x RSL CG3 with RSL CG23 for the Center

OR

5x Ascend HTM-200 SE

Subwoofer:
RSL Speedwoofer 10S
SVS SB1000
SVS SB2000 (a little more than I would like to spend, but not out of the question if the other 2 options are not adequate)
Is there another option that fits the under 15" size requirement?
With your size room I suggest NOT doing a Sealed Sub. It's like Farting in the school gym, yes there's something there but it's really not going to fill the room.

Can you seem to have gone backwards with the Ascend Acoustics recommendation of the 170s.

G

graphage

Audiophyte
It's a size issue. The Ascend 170's are quite a bit bulkier than the other options. Same w/ the Sub. If I were to get anything bigger there would be one spot in the room to put it, which may or may not be a good spot, whereas with 15" or less, there would be a few spots where it could be tucked away, thus allowing me to put it in a better sounding position.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis