Will a new system sound better than my Kenwood?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a size issue. The Ascend 170's are quite a bit bulkier than the other options. Same w/ the Sub. If I were to get anything bigger there would be one spot in the room to put it, which may or may not be a good spot, whereas with 15" or less, there would be a few spots where it could be tucked away, thus allowing me to put it in a better sounding position.
Yes the 170SE is a bit bigger than the 200SE but has better low end response, too. I own both 170SEs and 200SEs and have tried in a fairly large room to run 200SEs across the front and found them not quite up to the volume levels I was seeking; I use them both as surrounds. The CG23 looks similar, tho. I might lean towards RSL just because of the return policy and like their sub is more in line with your budget than any of the Rythmiks you can get thru Ascend....plus am curious about their recent stuff (my brother has original RSL large bookshelf speakers from their original incarnation).

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hello everyone, I have read through all of your suggestions and thought I would provide an update and seek more guidance.

Recap:
Room is 15x18 with vaulted ceilings. Approx 2,700 cubic feet. TV is in the corner of short wall. Main listening position is on opposite short wall, about 15 feet away.
There is a kitchen to the side via a half wall.
95% movies
I'd like it to be loud and clear, but I don't want the neighbors to necessarily know it either, so I don't need it to be overkill.

Looking for:
5.1 system and receiver
Fronts need to be bookshelf or satellite
Subwoofer needs to be on the smaller side, so likely sealed to keep the size under 15" square
Budget 1500

Here is what I have narrowed it down to for the 5:
4x RSL CG3 with RSL CG23 for the Center

OR

5x Ascend HTM-200 SE

Subwoofer:
RSL Speedwoofer 10S
SVS SB1000
SVS SB2000 (a little more than I would like to spend, but not out of the question if the other 2 options are not adequate)
Is there another option that fits the under 15" size requirement?

Receiver:
Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco. I read a lot of reviews about it being glitchy, but people seem to really believe in it. It seemed some of the issues were around game systems, which I don't have.

I welcome your thoughts on which options to choose from here.

Thank you.
That RSL CG3 only goes down to 100 hz, heck even my Boston Acoustics A23 did 80 hz, I just gave you an advise as to go for something else.

Now if you've made your mind on the RSL, go for it, but it won't do any good for Pure direct 2 channel music listening.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis