Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice hat, Grandpa.
It's cocked weird but it doesn't look goofy like that. Bass Pro Shops sold it as a 'Fishing Hat' about 20 years ago. It is a nice hat. This is normally where I would call you a name relating to your place of origin and question your masculinity but the world got wrecked. :D

No dust devils? I whish the backside of my AV-rack was this clean :)
It's a fresh install. The base isn't even nailed in yet. Seems like the paint's barely dry.

What he didn't tell you is that he spent the previous three days detailing the holy fcuk out all that spaghetti! :p
The rack and wiring are like their own side hobby. I'm sure you know all about it with the monoblocks. So far I haven't violated the rule about not plugging a power strip/surge protector into another one but it was close. Instead I ran a short appliance cord directly to a wall outlet for the gear on the rack.

Of course I spent another otherwise unproductive 3 hours on further cable management after reading that. The wiring is ridiculous to begin with but having it look like we all know it can ... I don't think I can do that: not for long anyway.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It's cocked weird but it doesn't look goofy like that. Bass Pro Shops sold it as a 'Fishing Hat' about 20 years ago. It is a nice hat. This is normally where I would call you a name relating to your place of origin and question your masculinity but the world got wrecked. :D
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the hat. But, the shot was there and you'd be disappointed if it wasn't taken.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the hat. But, the shot was there and you'd be disappointed if it wasn't taken.
I was wearing a pair of gym shorts the other day and this guy who I haven't really spoken to since he came out like a decade ago greets me at a small social gathering with, "even I'm not gay enough to wear those shorts". No lack of fashion critics in my world. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
ManTown may also be needing a new rec'r. It could be the TV. I get fine red lines across the screen on start up which go away if I pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in. I tried pulling the HDMI cable from the Roku as well but that had no effect on restoring PQ.

On the rec'r (Yammy 2600) I tried truing up the HDMI socket and rebending those two weird vampire teef looking fang connectors. I cleaned it all with alcohol and a Q-Tip after vacuuming it all out. The first test was a pass but the second was a fail. That made the disappointment of the fail feel like defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. I was devastated. I'll work that out in group later.

Today I realized that I could unplug the HDMI cable at the TV or the rec'r for the pic to reset. Now I'm wondering if it could be the TV. It's an old Panny Plasma ... it does have 2 HDMI inputs ... so glad we had this chat. So long as I keep eliminating fail points, eventually I'll narrow it down. Nope input 2 does the same thing. Still, TV or rec'r? I don't have the time to run diagnostics ATM but I'll end up checking the HDMI cable too.

Or I could just say f^%& it and plug Irv's 975 in and get myself a phono pre-amp. I didn't want to spend the hundred bucks but as it turns out a friend offered to give me one of his two cheapo pre-amps. The loss would be SACD and DVD-A playback.

It seems that turning the TV off and then back on eliminates the red lines as well as uplugging the HDMI cable. Turning the rec'r off and then on effs up the picture. Those are the rules. I'm just figuring this out now. So if I turn the rec'r on first, wait a few seconds to turn the TV on, it's all good.

But why? Is it because I made fun of Doug for not getting a bigger amp? Is this karma? :oops:

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ManTown may also be needing a new rec'r. It could be the TV. I get fine red lines across the screen on start up which go away if I pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in. I tried pulling the HDMI cable from the Roku as well but that had no effect on restoring PQ.

On the rec'r (Yammy 2600) I tried truing up the HDMI socket and rebending those two weird vampire teef looking fang connectors. I cleaned it all with alcohol and a Q-Tip after vacuuming it all out. The first test was a pass but the second was a fail. That made the disappointment of the fail feel like defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. I was devastated. I'll work that out in group later.

Today I realized that I could unplug the HDMI cable at the TV or the rec'r for the pic to reset. Now I'm wondering if it could be the TV. It's an old Panny Plasma ... it does have 2 HDMI inputs ... so glad we had this chat. So long as I keep eliminating fail points, eventually I'll narrow it down. Nope input 2 does the same thing. Still, TV or rec'r? I don't have the time to run diagnostics ATM but I'll end up checking the HDMI cable too.

Or I could just say f^%& it and plug Irv's 975 in and get myself a phono pre-amp. I didn't want to spend the hundred bucks but as it turns out a friend offered to give me one of his two cheapo pre-amps. The loss would be SACD and DVD-A playback.

It seems that turning the TV off and then back on eliminates the red lines as well as uplugging the HDMI cable. Turning the rec'r off and then on effs up the picture. Those are the rules. I'm just figuring this out now. So if I turn the rec'r on first, wait a few seconds to turn the TV on, it's all good.

But why? Is it because I made fun of Doug for not getting a bigger amp? Is this karma? :oops:
Start simple: replace the HDMI cable. :)
Monoprice 115428 Certified Premium HDMI Cable - 6 Feet - Black, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, Dual Video Stream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCGKI3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_UX-SFbJGR76AY

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh thanks, Ryan. As it turns out I have a second HDMI cable running to the TV already in place. First try was a pass with the test cable but second test was a fail. That made me look at my 120 volt cabling for noise. I unplugged the last thing to go in and that made no diff either.

The aux HDMI was in place to set up Irv's 975. The one I normally use id a BJC 15 footer. I'll run a set up on the 975 later on to establish that my problem is with the TV or the rec'r. This is like the cat dude in physics.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you have to get another AVR, what Yamaha AVRs are you thinking of?

Based on customer service comments in my AVR thread, I should get one or two Yamaha models on my short list.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have to get another AVR, what Yamaha AVRs are you thinking of?
That B&K you're getting rid of would work. :D

I'm not getting an AVR. There's an Outlaw 975 pre-pro and a Rotel RB 981 already to go should the fault be the rec'r.

Those two Yammy rec'rs Doug mentioned would get serious attention. If I were getting a new one it would probably be the Denon Doug got because of cost vs value. I don't like the idea of running the recommended fans and would feel more comfortable leaving the Yammies on their own for cooling but $800 is easier to swing than $1600 for a Yammy RX-A2080.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

Got an amp back from a friend to test out. I thought it was broke until I RTFM. The issue was probably the balanced/ unbalanced input selector. We’ll see.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Third amp thrown back in for testing ... all okay.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Got an amp back from a friend to test out. I thought it was broke until I RTFM. The issue was probably the balanced/ unbalanced input selector. We’ll see.
You read the manual!?!? :eek:

I guess you gained a working amp, but lost your man-card in the process :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Did I mention that I got grill cloth technology mastered? No modesty is better than false modesty.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What happened the day after???
You lost me there but red nail polish works pisser for marking right channel speaker wire and even the +pos legs on cable pants. Cheryl saw the nail polish in with my banana plugs and what not. How red is it, you may find yourself wondering. F^%&ing flaming of course.

The grill cloth tech is for 3 little sound panels to go under the living room TV, behind the CC. I'll doll those frames up with another hit of satin poly before firing up the compressor and pin gun ... after I get the grills glued up. The pic was a dry run that ended up in place out in the living room just to check out the effect with all 3 panels.

Some streamed content comes in 2 channel so it's not just the center delivering dialog. All my speakers are closer to the wall than ideal. I thought the panels might make it a little less reflective . The material inside is something used in an auditorium to deaden the noise from fan blower motors.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
You lost me there but red nail polish works pisser for marking right channel speaker wire and even the +pos legs on cable pants. Cheryl saw the nail polish in with my banana plugs and what not. How red is it, you may find yourself wondering. F^%&ing flaming of course.

The grill cloth tech is for 3 little sound panels to go under the living room TV, behind the CC. I'll doll those frames up with another hit of satin poly before firing up the compressor and pin gun ... after I get the grills glued up. The pic was a dry run that ended up in place out in the living room just to check out the effect with all 3 panels.

Some streamed content comes in 2 channel so it's not just the center delivering dialog. All my speakers are closer to the wall than ideal. I thought the panels might make it a little less reflective . The material inside is something used in an auditorium to deaden the noise from fan blower motors.
I just figured that once you let her
into your crazy lifestyle that maybe it opened your relationship up

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Sharpies and labels work great, too.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Third amp thrown back in for testing ... all okay.

Look at the speaker wires hanging from the upper amp- that puts a good amount of stress on the binding posts and banana plugs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis