M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here we go. I have feeling this is going to be a rough ride.

Stay safe out there people.

>>>The U.S. recorded 3,157 deaths on Wednesday, according to the tally kept by Johns Hopkins University. That’s more than the number of people killed on 9/11, and it shattered the old mark of 2,603, set on April 15, when the New York metropolitan area was the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.<<<

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
so with a vaccine 'right around the curve' (Trump terminology) I think all things considered, project 'Warp Speed' has come through in as timely a fashion as possible. let's all hope and pray for an effective distribution as well as an effective vaccine !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All this talk about vaccinations has brought back some memories. Anyone who went through US military basic training, or boot camp as the Navy called it, can recall getting vaccinated over & over until you had every vaccine & booster there was. They avoided using needles & syringes, as that was way too slow. Instead, they used jetguns that shot small volumes of liquid at high pressure through your skin.
1607019572683.png

They'd wipe the tip of the jetgun and your shoulder with alcohol, grab your elbow, and pull the trigger. If you didn't move, the vaccine was shot under your skin, and you were fine. It was fast. A whole company of 80 recruits could be done in about 15 minutes.

When possible, they combined vaccines into one shot. If you were lucky, they only did one arm, not both at the same time.
1607020092371.png

Here's a close up of a jetgun.
1607020022342.png

Does anyone remember these? Are they still used now? Wouldn't they be useful once the coronavirus vaccine is available?

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
All this talk about vaccinations has brought back some memories. Anyone who went through US military basic training, or boot camp as the Navy called it, can recall getting vaccinated over & over until you had every vaccine & booster there was. They avoided using needles & syringes, as that was way too slow. Instead, they used jetguns that shot small volumes of liquid at high pressure through your skin.
View attachment 42293

They'd wipe the tip of the jetgun and your shoulder with alcohol, grab your elbow, and pull the trigger. If you didn't move, the vaccine was shot under your skin, and you were fine. It was fast. A whole company of 80 recruits could be done in about 15 minutes.

When possible, they combined vaccines into one shot. If you were lucky, they only did one arm, not both at the same time.
View attachment 42295

Here's a close up of a jetgun.
View attachment 42294

Does anyone remember these? Are they still used now? Wouldn't they be useful once the coronavirus vaccine is available?
We called it "needle parade" when I joined the RCN. We had much smaller classes than the USN would have, of course. So, normal hypodermic needles were used. "Anti-vaccer" wasn't a term back then.

I can imagine the conversation that would have taken place as an anti-vaccer recruit went through the line-up:
"I'm sorry, but I don't believe in vaccin..."
"That's nice. Shut-up and give me your arm."

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
We called it "needle parade" when I joined the RCN. We had much smaller classes than the USN would have, of course. So, normal hypodermic needles were used. "Anti-vaccer" wasn't a term back then.

I can imagine the conversation that would have taken place as an anti-vaccer recruit went through the line-up:
"I'm sorry, but I don't believe in vaccin..."
"That's nice. Shut-up and give me your arm."
"That's nice. Shut-up and give me your arm" may have been alright for the RCN, but it sounds too polite for the USN. No anti-vaxxers existed then, but if they did, that conversation would have gone more like this:

That's nice. Shut-up ***kwad! Drop and give me 10 (pushups). While the soon-to-be-miserable boot was doing the 10 pushups, he would get jetgunned. That would be followed by, "Anyone else want to do pushups?" There were never any volunteers… fun times.

The USN looked out for particularly sadistic SOBs, made them Hospital Corpsmen, and assigned them to boot camps to man the jetguns. In the second photo I posted above, have a look at the face of the guy on the right.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
He looks like Todd from Breaking Bad. Yeah I can believe the "sadistic" part.
That dude is an excellent actor. Terrifying in everything he's in. Game Night was excellent too.

I think we need those jet guns about now. Want to be allowed to go out in public? Get your jet gun vaccine and you can. If not, you get to live in a literal bubble.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
So I work as a doc in a large east coast hospital. We got the good news this week that we are going to get a large batch of the Pfizer vaccine roughly mid December pending the assumed approval. But damn, the announcement said that getting the vaccine was "strongly recommended but not mandatory". WTF? They make the flu vaccine mandatory and Covid is way worse in every respect. Who are they catering to with this idea? I will be as close to the front of the line as I can get of course.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think we need those jet guns about now. Want to be allowed to go out in public? Get your jet gun vaccine and you can. If not, you get to live in a literal bubble.
Believe or not, those jet guns looked fearsome, but they hurt less and were easier on your arm than a needle & syringe.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So I work as a doc in a large east coast hospital. We got the good news this week that we are going to get a large batch of the Pfizer vaccine roughly mid December pending the assumed approval. But damn, the announcement said that getting the vaccine was "strongly recommended but not mandatory". WTF? They make the flu vaccine mandatory and Covid is way worse in every respect. Who are they catering to with this idea? I will be as close to the front of the line as I can get of course.
That's great news.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's unusual (maybe?). I worked IT for a level 1 trauma center here in TX and we had to have EVERY vaccine we were able to get. If we didn't get a flu shot, we had to wear a mask for the ENTIRE flu season. No exceptions. I didn't even work IN the hospital.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Believe or not, those jet guns looked fearsome, but they hurt less and were easier on your arm than a needle & syringe.
I remember getting a shot with one of those in grade school. It didn't really hurt much, but they must have hit a vein because it bled quite a bit. I don't remember that happening with anyone else.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I remember getting a shot with one of those in grade school. It didn't really hurt much, but they must have hit a vein because it bled quite a bit. I don't remember that happening with anyone else.
In boot camp, I remember the warning to hold completely still while you're getting the shot. That narrow high-pressure squirt was enough to tear open your skin.

You must have moved. That's why in those photos, you see the guy with the gun holding firmly on the other guy's elbow.

M

mwalther

Enthusiast
I also work in a hospital in the Northeast and go the same news, and that unfortunately it's not mandatory...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
"That's nice. Shut-up and give me your arm" may have been alright for the RCN, but it sounds too polite for the USN. No anti-vaxxers existed then, but if they did, that conversation would have gone more like this:

That's nice. Shut-up ***kwad! Drop and give me 10 (pushups). While the soon-to-be-miserable boot was doing the 10 pushups, he would get jetgunned. That would be followed by, "Anyone else want to do pushups?" There were never any volunteers… fun times.:p

The USN looked out for particularly sadistic SOBs, made them Hospital Corpsmen, and assigned them to boot camps to man the jetguns. In the second photo I posted above, have a look at the face of the guy on the right.
Sure, but when you joined, the guns were all still muzzle-loaded.:p

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
To the people in the know, would it matter to you which vaccine you receive?
I feel better about Maderna. (no scientific basis for this, but I do own some of their stock)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
To the people in the know, would it matter to you which vaccine you receive?
I feel better about Maderna. (no scientific basis for this, but I do own some of their stock)
At this point in the pandemic, I don't care if I get the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine, so long as I get vaccinated.

I've never known the maker of any of the other vaccines I've received in the past, and never cared. They all seemed to work, and I never once became autistic. So, as long as the vaccine isn't made by Trump Towers Industries, I don't care.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
My wife is a cancer survivor, after the initial distribution to essential workers, would she get any type of priority?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis