Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have a couple of random thoughts this Saturday.

In the UK, news reports yesterday said front-line medical workers would not be given priority in getting vaccinated. They would have to get in-line by age-group like everyone else. What a genuinely bad idea. It makes no sense at all. If vaccine supplies are less than anticipated, it makes even less sense.

I read another report that the UK should use it's 800,000 vaccine doses to vaccinate 800,000 people with a single injection, instead of vaccinating 400,000 people with the proper two doses. Again, what a genuinely bad idea. (We really need a good face-palm emoji).

In the USA, I read an op-ed column in the Washington Post by Kathleen Parker, who offered the idea that Americans should get vaccinated out of a sense of civic duty, whether they approve of vaccinations or not. That's actually admirable. It sounds like the idea that we should all observe the speed limits while driving on public roads – out of a sense of civic duty. In these highly divided times, I doubt if an appeal to civic duty would make a difference. I'd love to be wrong about this.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Ok boys and girls everybody 'get in line' .............

I just tried it.

In the USA, I'm in line behind 23 million others.
In Maryland, I'm behind 427,700 others.
And in Montgomery County, I'm behind 67,600 others.

On the bright side, that assumes that no one in front of me refuses the vaccine. I better roll up my shirt sleeve right now :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I just tried it.

On the bright side, that assumes that no one in front of me refuses the vaccine. I better roll up my shirt sleeve right now :rolleyes:.
not bad, I'm behind almost a million others here Pennsyltucky, it's getting cold, I think I'll wait a bit with regards to 'rolling up the sleeves' !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
not bad, I'm behind almost a million others here Pennsyltucky, it's getting cold, I think I'll wait a bit with regards to 'rolling up the sleeves' !
Aren't you in the general Philadelphia area? I thought Pennsyltucky refers to southwest Pennsylvania.

Maybe Pennsyltucky is more a state-of-mind than a geographic location ;).

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm 269 million behind if that makes anyone feel better. ;)
268.7 million. I do feel a lot better knowing you are 300,000 behind me!

Having said that, I suspect the calculations include some SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Aren't you in the general Philadelphia area? I thought Pennsyltucky refers to southwest Pennsylvania.

Maybe Pennsyltucky is more a state-of-mind than a geographic location ;).
Yes, SE Pa but having lived here (on and off) for 52 plus years, dealing with our overly legislated gov't in Harrisburg, lousy roads and the fact that the Mason Dixon line is a mere 3 miles south of me....... yes I suppose it's a state of mind !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
268.7 million. I do feel a lot better knowing you are 300,000 behind me!

Having said that, I suspect the calculations include some SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses)
A SWAG of ±10% is considered within normal expectations. So for you, that's only ±27 million.

Let's hope that Pfizer, Moderna, and maybe AstraZeneca get it in gear between now and next April.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Let's hope that Pfizer, Moderna, and maybe AstraZeneca get it in gear between now and next April.
I was pulling for J & J (shareholder), are they still even in the picture ?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I just tried it.

At least your able to calculate a guesstimate. That isn't even an option up here yet. Earliest rollout here will be early next year...whatever that means. While there is plenty of pharmaceutical manufacturing here, apparently there isn't enough idle capacity to produce any of the vaccines here.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Update:
The Atlantic Bubble has collapsed. Anyone entering any Atlantic province - regardless of where they're coming from - must self-isolate for 2 weeks, unless you have any exemption, such as an essential worker.

In September, Nova Scotia had 3 new cases; in October, 21 new cases; in November (so far), 151 new cases. New restrictions have been implemented. We'll see how/if they help. The only saving grace is that it's predominately younger people who are becoming infected. We haven't had a death since August and I don't think there is anyone currently hospitalized.
Here's another update:
Nova Scotia ended up with a total of 196 new causes in November. The peak was 37 cases on the 24th, with the enhanced restrictions quickly following. Whereas previously, gatherings of 10 people from outside family bubbles were permitted, that number was reduced to 5. Fines for gatherings exceeding that total were increased - eg. someone hosting a large house party could get a $1000 fine. Now, the host and every guest is subject to that penalty. Restaurants and bars are now serving takeout only.

So far this month we've had 63 new cases. However, the running average has been steadily shrinking, with 6 cases on Saturday and 4 yesterday. A very good sign is that our active case numbers are dropping steeply. Nobody in hospital and nobody has died of COVID-19 since August. It has only been 2 weeks since the new restrictions came into effect, so I think people started to reduce their exposure risk before that, as case numbers crept up.

What does this mean for people in the US, Europe and the rest of Canada? It means masks, social distancing and reduced gatherings in homes and businesses DO WORK!

To those who say "We can't let the economy suffer!", well, if you allow the virus to run rampant, it'll have severe consequences for the economy anyway.

To those who say "You can't interfere with my right to do, or not do, whatever I want! It's MY life!", well, along with rights come responsibilities. That seems to escape their attention.

While I'm sure there are some feckless exceptions, people here - generally speaking - are mentally preparing for a quiet Christmas, with no large family gatherings. I hope you all are doing the same.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
To those who say "You can't interfere with my right to do, or not do, whatever I want! It's MY life!", well, along with rights come responsibilities. That seems to escape their attention.
In 1991 there was a measles outbreak in Philadelphia, among a religious community (2 churches and a school) that did not believe in either immunizations or medical care. Following an investigation into the death of the first victim of the outbreak (there were 9 deaths in total), a court order was obtained to forcibly treat and vaccinate children whose parents would not agree to seeking medical care.

There was a Pennsylvania law that protected these church members' right to refuse vaccination on religious grounds. But the US Supreme Court had ruled years earlier that parents cannot deny lifesaving medical treatments to their children for religious reasons. That ruling set a precedent that made it difficult for Faith Tabernacle to find legal representation. Even the American Civil Liberties Union, which was perfectly willing to represent an unpopular cause, declined to take the case, because they felt that it was not [the parents'] right to martyr their children to their beliefs.

People must be reminded of this today. See the details:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I saw a headline saying 55% of NYC firefighters said they wouldn't take the vaccine. Any ideas why if the vaccine is 95% efficacy? I don't get it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Here's another update:
Nova Scotia ended up with a total of 196 new causes in November. The peak was 37 cases on the 24th, with the enhanced restrictions quickly following. Whereas previously, gatherings of 10 people from outside family bubbles were permitted, that number was reduced to 5. Fines for gatherings exceeding that total were increased - eg. someone hosting a large house party could get a $1000 fine. Now, the host and every guest is subject to that penalty. Restaurants and bars are now serving takeout only.

So far this month we've had 63 new cases. However, the running average has been steadily shrinking, with 6 cases on Saturday and 4 yesterday. A very good sign is that our active case numbers are dropping steeply. Nobody in hospital and nobody has died of COVID-19 since August. It has only been 2 weeks since the new restrictions came into effect, so I think people started to reduce their exposure risk before that, as case numbers crept up.

What does this mean for people in the US, Europe and the rest of Canada? It means masks, social distancing and reduced gatherings in homes and businesses DO WORK!

To those who say "We can't let the economy suffer!", well, if you allow the virus to run rampant, it'll have severe consequences for the economy anyway.

While I'm sure there are some feckless exceptions, people here - generally speaking - are mentally preparing for a quiet Christmas, with no large family gatherings. I hope you all are doing the same.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis