Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Yes. What is this mystery sub?
Honestly I haven't nailed down anything yet. I'm still wondering if it might be better to just save up for 1 15in sub and see how it sounds or instead look at 2 smaller ones and pursue a dual setup. So many options I guess. The room isn't an ideal setup either. Also, I can't place the sub(s) at the front facing the listening position. I have a good spot for one so maybe it might be better to just go that route and get the best sub I can afford.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
This is always an interesting discussion. One great, or two midrange subs.
My philosophy is buy the absolute best one you can now. Then plan on saving for a second one as soon as you can. A lot of ink has been dedicated to single vs multiple subs. I, like most here believe in multiple subs. I currently use three, and two in another system. Two singles in other rooms. All that’s to say, while I believe in multiples, I don’t think you have to go all in at once. Obviously that’s the ideal, but imo bass is an investment, and sometimes investments take a while.
Good advice - much appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks - I really need to spend more time in the settings. I love how much configurability (just made that word up) actually exists in these modern AVRs.
Well just because an avr advertises ".2" doesn't mean the ability as in yours to adjust separately for level/delay between the subs (but all Denons in the 3xxx series and above have that feature). Audyssey actually offered the ability up to 4 subs, but no avr manufacturer implemented it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Honestly I haven't nailed down anything yet. I'm still wondering if it might be better to just save up for 1 15in sub and see how it sounds or instead look at 2 smaller ones and pursue a dual setup. So many options I guess. The room isn't an ideal setup either. Also, I can't place the sub(s) at the front facing the listening position. I have a good spot for one so maybe it might be better to just go that route and get the best sub I can afford.
Lol. I mean what is the sub in the pics. I might have missed it.
FWIW, the front isn’t necessarily the best location. The room and listening position will determine that. Mine happen to all be corner loaded but that’s a matter of convenience and it works better since I’m on a concrete slab. I also have a minidsp. But I digress...

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Lol. I mean what is the sub in the pics. I might have missed it.
FWIW, the front isn’t necessarily the best location. The room and listening position will determine that. Mine happen to all be corner loaded but that’s a matter of convenience and it works better since I’m on a concrete slab. I also have a minidsp. But I digress...
Ahh - my bad. Its a pretty old Velodyne CHT-8. I've had it for close to 20 years I think. Never had any problems with it - just now that I've had the opportunity to make some upgrades (AVR) and am in a bigger room - maybe its time to retire it for something bigger.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Big difference on extension if you go up the ladder from that Velodyne. Decent sub for its size/age, tho. Just really not a sub as I expect a sub to be capable to at least 20hz.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Well just because an avr advertises ".2" doesn't mean the ability as in yours to adjust separately for level/delay between the subs (but all Denons in the 3xxx series and above have that feature). Audyssey actually offered the ability up to 4 subs, but no avr manufacturer implemented it.
Thats very good to know. I saw early on the 3700 had 2 sub outputs - never put much thought in how to implement that but now I'm thinking about it.

The way the our living room is laid out will make adding a 2nd somewhat of a challenge. I'd be putting it on the opposite rear side of the room (which is pretty far from the closet with the rack). All cabling is run either in wall, in ceiling and down into the closet, or under the house and up from below the closet. This hypothetical 2nd sub would require a long run through the floor, under the house and up. I'm not opposed to doing it. Just wondering if I could get away with maybe a larger single sub to replace the current (maybe 12-15in) and that would suffice? And asthetically (and my wife probably blowing a gasket about what the f is this 2nd big box on the other side of the room) it might be an *issue* for me too

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ahh - my bad. Its a pretty old Velodyne CHT-8. I've had it for close to 20 years I think. Never had any problems with it - just now that I've had the opportunity to make some upgrades (AVR) and am in a bigger room - maybe its time to retire it for something bigger.

Holy cow man! That baby doesn’t owe you anything. I’d slip it into the garage or den or whatever and NEVER look back. If you don’t have much experience with newer larger subs, you are in for an awakening. A great one at that.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Big difference on extension if you go up the ladder from that Velodyne. Decent sub for its size/age, tho. Just really not a sub as I expect a sub to be capable to at least 20hz.
Good point. I think in the last location it may have been a better fit as the room was quite a bit smaller.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thats very good to know. I saw early on the 3700 had 2 sub outputs - never put much thought in how to implement that but now I'm thinking about it.

The way the our living room is laid out will make adding a 2nd somewhat of a challenge. I'd be putting it on the opposite rear side of the room (which is pretty far from the closet with the rack). All cabling is run either in wall, in ceiling and down into the closet, or under the house and up from below the closet. This hypothetical 2nd sub would require a long run through the floor, under the house and up. I'm not opposed to doing it. Just wondering if I could get away with maybe a larger single sub to replace the current (maybe 12-15in) and that would suffice? And asthetically (and my wife probably blowing a gasket about what the f is this 2nd big box on the other side of the room) it might be an *issue* for me too
Yes, having differently distanced locations is where the extra ability for adjustment in your avr can help out. Most avrs that advertise ".2" for subs just means two rca jacks with an internal splitter (which you can easily do for yourself), and placing subs equidistant would be the way to go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Small rooms help out no doubt. As the volume increases so does the need to move more air....

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Holy cow man! That baby doesn’t owe you anything. I’d slip it into the garage or den or whatever and NEVER look back. If you don’t have much experience with newer larger subs, you are in for an awakening. A great one at that.
Appreciate that. I have a ton to learn and I guess I should expect the improvement (although my newbieness
YeH. I noticed the old velodyne was listed as 35hz lower frequency response. It’s time...
Thanks man - I appreciate the guidance and gentle nudge - the sub is kind of the last piece (at least for now) that is asking for an upgrade. I'll post back to this thread once I end up pulling the trigger on one.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Iam wanting to replace my two aging jbl subs myself Iam leaning towards two Monolith 12’s thx subs but if I had the room I’d go for the 15’s they all review very good lots to ponder .
I would say either one would be a considerable, and worthwhile upgrade. PC’s from SVS can maximize the footprint vs performance envelope too.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
What dimensions is the room?
Sorry - I missed this post earlier. The living room is connected to the dining room (kind of a 'great room') so its sort of a rectangle with one long side missing. From the TV to the back wall its 26 1/4 feet (long). 18 feet wide. The other side is open to the dining area. Not ideal for acoustics. I'm trying to convince the wife to put some drapes along the back wall (opposite TV and front speakers).

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well based on those room dimensions your going to need some major Subwooferage when your ready.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I would say either one would be a considerable, and worthwhile upgrade. PC’s from SVS can maximize the footprint vs performance envelope too.
I use two PSW - 1200 jbl back when new in the late 90’s they were great 120 watt . But they do have there limits they don’t really go that low as I’d like . I live about a hour south of SVS so I might get the PB - 2000’s but it’s hard to decide between the two there both really good subs . The PSW’s still work fine but I want that subterranean sound they might migrate to the rear of the room .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Sorry - I missed this post earlier. The living room is connected to the dining room (kind of a 'great room') so its sort of a rectangle with one long side missing. From the TV to the back wall its 26 1/4 feet (long). 18 feet wide. The other side is open to the dining area. Not ideal for acoustics. I'm trying to convince the wife to put some drapes along the back wall (opposite TV and front speakers).
This is the same size as my room I’ve utilized big heavy drapes and a large area rug to help tame it down it helps. We did change our floors from carpet to vinyl plank flooring it really messed with the ypao auto setup , reflections I’d guess but I’ve got it back to good with a lot of manual tweaking .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis