William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use two PSW - 1200 jbl back when new in the late 90’s they were great 120 watt . But they do have there limits they don’t really go that low as I’d like . I live about a hour south of SVS so I might get the PB - 2000’s but it’s hard to decide between the two there both really good subs . The PSW’s still work fine but I want that subterranean sound they might migrate to the rear of the room .
I hear that. I had a JBL PB12 a long time ago(still have it just repurposed). It’s pretty good, but like yours it doesn’t go that deep, and just can’t pressurize a room. Living that close to SVS would be nice indeed. The monolith is really good, but the CS seems like there’s much to be desired. Hopefully you wouldn’t need any.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I hear that. I had a JBL PB12 a long time ago(still have it just repurposed). It’s pretty good, but like yours it doesn’t go that deep, and just can’t pressurize a room. Living that close to SVS would be nice indeed. The monolith is really good, but the CS seems like there’s much to be desired. Hopefully you wouldn’t need any.
Indeed these just run out of gas on movies not bad on music content but always leaving you wanting more . I figure there my weakest link in the system now ya just can’t get out of them what they won’t do . They do complement my towers well tho on music content but I know there’s something missing even in that so a decision will be made . They still sound good at the listening positions but quickly seem to disappear when away from that . It’s time for the next level .

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
For your size room I say No
Appreciate the input - are you thinking for the dimensions - the Monolith just isn't enough to cover the space?

The Velodyne (realizing it's too small) sort of disappears. Assuming I could get a 2nd that small maybe I could get a way with it. Either way - my other concern like everyone else is budget.
Mabey two of them ?
Ideally I'd love to do 2 - I just don't think the layout will work. We've gone for a pretty minimalist sort of design with the in-wall front/center/left (with the limitations I realize that sort of setup has). If it was just me I wouldn't be overly concerned with floor standing speakers and subs right up front. At some point when budget allows I'd like to upgrade the in-walls to something a bit more up the chain but will have to wait some time to do that.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Appreciate the input - are you thinking for the dimensions - the Monolith just isn't enough to cover the space?
Your room is 4000 based on the below chart I do not believe that 12" Monolith it's going to work

Room
Dimensional Volume
Small Room​
< 1,500 ft^3​
Medium Room​
1,500 ft^3 to 3,000 ft^3​
Large Room​
3,000 ft^3 to 5,000 ft^3​
Extreme Room​
> 5,000 ft^3​

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The short version is no matter what the new sub is, it will be better in every single way than the velo. That could be a pb1000, and really, even a Dayton sub1200($150ea) However while I think the Dayton would outperform the velo, the Dayton is a long ways from a
Pb/pc2000. The reason I wouldn’t advocate for the Dayton is because I think this is a long game moment. And it seems like it’s time, and the interest is there.
If a single is all that’s in the budget, and floor plan, then make it count. Imo,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just caught up on this thread. Like the direction you guys are going in, but agree with Maz in terms of stepping up to a sub suitable for the room size. Our friendly OP should look at starting with one sub suitable for the room, then plan on adding a second down the road a piece. :)
Outlaw X-13, Monolith 15", VTF3 mkV HP or VTF15H mkII, PB3000... (no particular order).

That said, @Tony Cardenas , I know you mentioned some measurements above, but it sounded like maybe there is still more open room that you didn't account for. I don't argue that you need to attempt pressurizing the complete open room volume, necessarily, but the physics behind those Low Frequencies are such that all that open space will eat up some of your bottom end.
By getting the right sub for your room size, you help make certain that you don't peter out in the moments where you want it to be strong.
By doubling up on them, you gain a little output presence, as well as smoothing the performance out across your listening area. Both of these are good things. :) Moreover, you also ensure that you maintain adequate headroom for your subs to really stretch out when they need to during the most demanding peaks in your favorite movies or music.

Anyway, the Dayton Sub 1200 is supposed to do pretty well for a budget sub, and by the review I know, it performs on par with the 15" version... but if OP wants an upgrade, then I encourage shooting for a real step up.

The proper subwoofer investment will last our friend a good long time with no regrets. :D

Don't be bashful. :cool:

Last edited:
Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
The short version is no matter what the new sub is, it will be better in every single way than the velo. That could be a pb1000, and really, even a Dayton sub1200($150ea) However while I think the Dayton would outperform the velo, the Dayton is a long ways from a
Pb/pc2000. The reason I wouldn’t advocate for the Dayton is because I think this is a long game moment. And it seems like it’s time, and the interest is there.
If a single is all that’s in the budget, and floor plan, then make it count. Imo,
Thank you guys - this is all excellent advice. I really appreciate it. I'll make sure to at least at the start - get the best sub I can afford and then figure over time if I can get a 2nd in the picture.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
you halp make certain that you don't peter out in the moments where you want it to be strong.

:cool:
I think we need to keep his personal sex life out of this and concentrate more on audio advice
not-sure-how-to-feel.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Good one to start with :)
I guess its a good position to be in to a degree (aside from the obvious cost to upgrade). Any of the units mentioned should offer a significant bump in performance. I just need to figure how much I can get by spending :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It's like this you meet a girl and you want to take her for a steak dinner on a date, but you only have enough money to take her to Cracker Barrel. My opinion instead of ruining the experience you should save until you can take her to a fine dining establishment like Morton's, Ruth Chris, the Bear & Bull, Bern's. Why open yourself up to be let down

Save don't Compromise!!!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

The Velodyne (realizing it's too small) sort of disappears. Assuming I could get a 2nd that small maybe I could get a way with it. Either way - my other concern like everyone else is budget.

Ideally I'd love to do 2 - I just don't think the layout will work. We've gone for a pretty minimalist sort of design with the in-wall front/center/left (with the limitations I realize that sort of setup has). If it was just me I wouldn't be overly concerned with floor standing speakers and subs right up front. At some point when budget allows I'd like to upgrade the in-walls to something a bit more up the chain but will have to wait some time to do that.
You suffer from my current problem aswell nice sized room but mine has to doorways one on each side that open up into a large bedroom and a kitchen on the other side bass sucking holes in the sound a lot to pressurize. I lucky the wife lets me pretty much do what I want she digs the music and movies and I arrange accordingly to make it sound the best . Although the operation of my system is still not wife friendly it’s not uncommon to find her listening to movies in some church in England. Your in my boat anything you get will be an improvement Iam leaning towards the monolith 12 ‘s because I can return them at staples a few minutes away and I like there thoughts on design and features on them . But the SVS guys are an hour north of me and dam there nice subs .

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
16"Ø, 47"H...
Columns of BOOM!

...too bad they're $1800 a pop, 34-large for two.

These would solve so many of the problems we all face. :D

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
16"Ø, 47"H...
Columns of BOOM!

...too bad they're $1800 a pop, 34-large for two.

These would solve so many of the problems we all face. :D
Those are amazing and I do like the concept but man that’s some cash !

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If they can store grain too, I'm in.:p
I ^think that might change their FR... just a wee bit. :p...

...but the floor space you save will allow you to put your own mini grain silo in you living room, too! :D

Tristesse Effroi Consternation GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis