Vinyl/Turntable section?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Been keeping a "functional" library of vinyl for 50 years plus! Its not that much info....
I meant info to learn how to keep your TT or perhaps fix something or better tune something or get more out of your gear... those things. I still wonder is it possible to get a better sound from my TT by simply going for the better cart, but I don't want to buy to discover it isn't. And as I once said, people at vinylengine are great, but they tend to think too highly of vinyl, you can't really trust them. Sometimes it's hype.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant info to learn how to keep your TT or perhaps fix something or better tune something or get more out of your gear... those things. I still wonder is it possible to get a better sound from my TT by simply going for the better cart, but I don't want to buy to discover it isn't. And as I once said, people at vinylengine are great, but they tend to think to highly of vinyl, you can't really trust them. Sometimes it's hype.
I don't think you can trust many vinylphiles at all. Of course the more expensive cartridge and phono stage make a night and day differenc, tho! :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think you can trust many vinylphiles at all. Of course the more expensive cartridge and phono stage make a night and day differenc, tho! :)
Fondling antiquated and obsolete tech is always in vogue, as long as it is expensive enough and sufficiently exotic.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
F#%kin' vinyl. Nothin' compares to the wax cylinder. Every now and then I play the homemade recording my Great Granny made of "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." She had the voice of an angel! "...I want to spooooonnn, to my honey I'll croooooon love's tuuuuune..." Damn it, there I go. It really chokes me up. Where are those tissues? I love Granny!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
F#%kin' vinyl. Nothin' compares to the wax cylinder. Every now and then I play the homemade recording my Great Granny made of "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." She had the voice of an angel! "...I want to spooooonnn, to my honey I'll croooooon love's tuuuuune..." Damn it, there I go. It really chokes me up. Where are those tissues? I love Granny!!!!
Heck ya, real analog!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
From what I gather, this wouldn't be a "vinyl is better" section. Precisely because it is more flimpsy, you always have some questions. And, as I said, I know most of you will just say get rid of it, but that's not a solution for everyone.

Furthermore, precisely because of all the hipster BS when it come to records, you really need some hard truth. You need AH take on records, not Fremer's. There's a lot of knowledge on the subject in these forums, we shouldn't bury it, let it go to waste. Let someone use that knowledge. There's nothing more noble you can do with knowledge.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
From what I gather, this wouldn't be a "vinyl is better" section. Precisely because it is more flimpsy, you always have some questions. And, as I said, I know most of you will just say get rid of it, but that's not a solution for everyone.

Furthermore, precisely because of all the hipster BS when it come to records, you really need some hard truth. You need AH take on records, not Fremer's. There's a lot of knowledge on the subject in these forums, we shouldn't bury it, let it go to waste. Let someone use that knowledge. There's nothing more noble you can do with knowledge.
Hear hear! :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not a vinylphile by any stretch of the imagination but the cartridge, stylus, and tonearm make the biggest impact in the sound reproduction as it all centers around tracking the stylus through the groove.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not a vinylphile by any stretch of the imagination but the cartridge, stylus, and tonearm make the biggest impact in the sound reproduction as it all centers around tracking the stylus through the groove.
True enough. I was being a bit more sarcastic about those chasing the ever more expensive cartridge and phono stage (and tt) for the final percent....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. The cartridge/stylus is the most important followed by the tonearm then the platform(TT). IMHO. However for a different opinion LINN has always said that the TT was the most important component. No surprise as LINN sold TTs back in the day. But LINN get one thing right if you don't get the music right at the source then anything upstream will not be optimal.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Minimum replies here or not, this subject deserves it's own dedicated forum. Shouldn't matter how many have posted replies here as one would not expect the subject to be found in the Feedback Section of the forum. Hence, not many replies. It would be beneficial, especially for us reincarnated old-timers and younger enthusiasts as well. Heck, Vinyl is an important part of our diverse generations. There are some hardcore, dedictaed Vinyl enthusiasts out there that should be heard from. Come on Gene!!

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Minimum replies here or not, this subject deserves it's own dedicated forum. Shouldn't matter how many have posted replies here as one would not expect the subject to be found in the Feedback Section of the forum. Hence, not many replies. It would be beneficial, especially for us reincarnated old-timers and younger enthusiasts as well. Heck, Vinyl is an important part of our diverse generations. There are some hardcore, dedictaed Vinyl enthusiasts out there that should be heard from. Come on Gene!!
There is Vinyl news thread at least, but I know what ya mean.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
In the meantime:
Carts the scientific way.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Through the link I provided above, I came about a recommendation for the AT-VM540ML.

I really didn't expect it to be so noticeably better. I even went in expecting no change. When I got it, I found some things very unsatisfying and I thought, with such poor attention to detail, how can it be truly better. I expected it to be the same as the one I have.

But it was much, much better. It's impossible for me to do direct comparison as I have one TT and the weight of the cart rigs is different, so every time you swap, you have to go from zero-balance onward setting the tone arm, so it couldn't be done. At least I couldn't do it.

I had to go through several records I find problematic in some way and see if i notice any change.

Anyway, it is what it is. I had no expectations, but it simply convinced me. It turned me around. I found my set up. I'm not changing until it breaks and even then I'll try to find the same one. I'm very happy with it.

the difference i heard (or thought I did):

I have a record with annoying sibilant sound - it was much milder.
I have a record that is messy and noisy, like it was played in a well - far, far better resolved and separated, I played it real loud and could still talk to people around me
I have a bass heavy pop record that was always flat and lifeless - tight and punchy now with a lot of low end

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Through the link I provided above, I came about a recommendation for the AT-VM540ML.

I really didn't expect it to be so noticeably better. I even went in expecting no change. When I got it, I found some things very unsatisfying and I thought, with such poor attention to detail, how can it be truly better. I expected it to be the same as the one I have.

But it was much, much better. It's impossible for me to do direct comparison as I have one TT and the weight of the cart rigs is different, so every time you swap, you have to go from zero-balance onward setting the tone arm, so it couldn't be done. At least I couldn't do it.

I had to go through several records I find problematic in some way and see if i notice any change.

Anyway, it is what it is. I had no expectations, but it simply convinced me. It turned me around. I found my set up. I'm not changing until it breaks and even then I'll try to find the same one. I'm very happy with it.

the difference i heard (or thought I did):

I have a record with annoying sibilant sound - it was much milder.
I have a record that is messy and noisy, like it was played in a well - far, far better resolved and separated, I played it real loud and could still talk to people around me
I have a bass heavy pop record that was always flat and lifeless - tight and punchy now with a lot of low end
So how did you do your DBX test? :) Maybe after you got thru your difficulties in setting it up and dealing with the "nuts" it just was such a relief it sounded "better"? :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
So how did you do your DBX test? :) Maybe after you got thru your difficulties in setting it up and dealing with the "nuts" it just was such a relief it sounded "better"? :)
I clearly stated several times this couldn't be further away from DBT. But I didn't expect it to sound better, I wasn't going in thinking oh boy wait 'til you hear this. In stead I thought it's snake oil. I thought it's just a waste of money.

Although, there is another way to detect difference if it's the record you heard million times over. Did it ever happen to you to turn your system on, sit down play your song and you hear something's different and you go and check and see you left some filter or effect turned on from the night before when you for example watched movies or something like that?

If it's a very familiar recording and you don't recognize certain parts, like you know that a high pitched violin is coming up in a song and you know it always pierces your ear, but all of a sudden it doesn't. Or you know that a certain low note always makes the glass in your doors rattle and buzz, but it don't happen.

You can recognize whether someone changed something on your system if it's significant enough.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I clearly stated several times this couldn't be further away from DBT. But I didn't expect it to sound better, I wasn't going in thinking oh boy wait 'til you hear this. In stead I thought it's snake oil. I thought it's just a waste of money.

Although, there is another way to detect difference if it's the record you heard million times over. Did it ever happen to you to turn your system on, sit down play your song and you hear something's different and you go and check and see you left some filter or effect turned on from the night before when you for example watched movies or something like that?

If it's a very familiar recording and you don't recognize certain parts, like you know that a high pitched violin is coming up in a song and you know it always pierces your ear, but all of a sudden it doesn't. Or you know that a certain low note always makes the glass in your doors rattle and buzz, but it don't happen.

You can recognize whether someone changed something on your system if it's significant enough.
Well if a recording had a high pitched violin segment I'm not likely to listen to it at all....not much violin outside of electric ones in my usual listening :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Come on all of you with an eye for art, what do you think?
1610745417855.png

This was taken just now on my couch with my smart phone with a magnifier app. Just from my hand... It's a pic of the record grooves. Pretty good, eh?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well if a recording had a high pitched violin segment I'm not likely to listen to it at all....not much violin outside of electric ones in my usual listening :)
Well, you know what I mean. Anything distinctive. If you know a record by heart, you know where some sound is to be expected. Holly Cole Tango 'Till They're Sore has Double Bass real low, it fills your ears and room. If one day you play that song and you don't get that same deep bass, you can easily notice something must be different.

I think that immediate comparison is much more important with new material. But same as picking new speakers, I always use songs i listened the longest. For this reason exactly. So, everything's the same except the cart and it's the same records I remember by some trait.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis