Vinyl/Turntable section?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Been keeping a "functional" library of vinyl for 50 years plus! Its not that much info....
I meant info to learn how to keep your TT or perhaps fix something or better tune something or get more out of your gear... those things. I still wonder is it possible to get a better sound from my TT by simply going for the better cart, but I don't want to buy to discover it isn't. And as I once said, people at vinylengine are great, but they tend to think too highly of vinyl, you can't really trust them. Sometimes it's hype.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
I meant info to learn how to keep your TT or perhaps fix something or better tune something or get more out of your gear... those things. I still wonder is it possible to get a better sound from my TT by simply going for the better cart, but I don't want to buy to discover it isn't. And as I once said, people at vinylengine are great, but they tend to think to highly of vinyl, you can't really trust them. Sometimes it's hype.
I don't think you can trust many vinylphiles at all. Of course the more expensive cartridge and phono stage make a night and day differenc, tho! :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic General
I don't think you can trust many vinylphiles at all. Of course the more expensive cartridge and phono stage make a night and day differenc, tho! :)
Fondling antiquated and obsolete tech is always in vogue, as long as it is expensive enough and sufficiently exotic.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Chief
F#%kin' vinyl. Nothin' compares to the wax cylinder. Every now and then I play the homemade recording my Great Granny made of "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." She had the voice of an angel! "...I want to spooooonnn, to my honey I'll croooooon love's tuuuuune..." Damn it, there I go. It really chokes me up. Where are those tissues? I love Granny!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

F#%kin' vinyl. Nothin' compares to the wax cylinder. Every now and then I play the homemade recording my Great Granny made of "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." She had the voice of an angel! "...I want to spooooonnn, to my honey I'll croooooon love's tuuuuune..." Damn it, there I go. It really chokes me up. Where are those tissues? I love Granny!!!!
Heck ya, real analog!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
From what I gather, this wouldn't be a "vinyl is better" section. Precisely because it is more flimpsy, you always have some questions. And, as I said, I know most of you will just say get rid of it, but that's not a solution for everyone.

Furthermore, precisely because of all the hipster BS when it come to records, you really need some hard truth. You need AH take on records, not Fremer's. There's a lot of knowledge on the subject in these forums, we shouldn't bury it, let it go to waste. Let someone use that knowledge. There's nothing more noble you can do with knowledge.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Field Marshall
From what I gather, this wouldn't be a "vinyl is better" section. Precisely because it is more flimpsy, you always have some questions. And, as I said, I know most of you will just say get rid of it, but that's not a solution for everyone.

Furthermore, precisely because of all the hipster BS when it come to records, you really need some hard truth. You need AH take on records, not Fremer's. There's a lot of knowledge on the subject in these forums, we shouldn't bury it, let it go to waste. Let someone use that knowledge. There's nothing more noble you can do with knowledge.
Hear hear! :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not a vinylphile by any stretch of the imagination but the cartridge, stylus, and tonearm make the biggest impact in the sound reproduction as it all centers around tracking the stylus through the groove.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

I'm not a vinylphile by any stretch of the imagination but the cartridge, stylus, and tonearm make the biggest impact in the sound reproduction as it all centers around tracking the stylus through the groove.
True enough. I was being a bit more sarcastic about those chasing the ever more expensive cartridge and phono stage (and tt) for the final percent....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Field Marshall
Agreed. The cartridge/stylus is the most important followed by the tonearm then the platform(TT). IMHO. However for a different opinion LINN has always said that the TT was the most important component. No surprise as LINN sold TTs back in the day. But LINN get one thing right if you don't get the music right at the source then anything upstream will not be optimal.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Minimum replies here or not, this subject deserves it's own dedicated forum. Shouldn't matter how many have posted replies here as one would not expect the subject to be found in the Feedback Section of the forum. Hence, not many replies. It would be beneficial, especially for us reincarnated old-timers and younger enthusiasts as well. Heck, Vinyl is an important part of our diverse generations. There are some hardcore, dedictaed Vinyl enthusiasts out there that should be heard from. Come on Gene!!

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Minimum replies here or not, this subject deserves it's own dedicated forum. Shouldn't matter how many have posted replies here as one would not expect the subject to be found in the Feedback Section of the forum. Hence, not many replies. It would be beneficial, especially for us reincarnated old-timers and younger enthusiasts as well. Heck, Vinyl is an important part of our diverse generations. There are some hardcore, dedictaed Vinyl enthusiasts out there that should be heard from. Come on Gene!!
There is Vinyl news thread at least, but I know what ya mean.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
In the meantime:
Carts the scientific way.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis