Denon or Onkyo or ???

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
I am in need of a replacement for my Onkyo Sr606 12 yrs old. I was interested in the new Yamaha (especially the Costco clone) until I read about the HDMI board issues most likely requiring a physical replacement. I am considering Onkyo TX-NR696 and a Denon X2600H soon to be on sale at BestBuy. I know these are 2019 versions without 8K. What do you advise. These 2 along with the Yamaha V6A are similar price points (except for the rebadged TSR-700). I’m interested in what would be a good direction to go. Thanks a lot.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I am in need of a replacement for my Onkyo Sr606 12 yrs old. I was interested in the new Yamaha (especially the Costco clone) until I read about the HDMI board issues most likely requiring a physical replacement. I am considering Onkyo TX-NR696 and a Denon X2600H soon to be on sale at BestBuy. I know these are 2019 versions without 8K. What do you advise. These 2 along with the Yamaha V6A are similar price points (except for the rebadged TSR-700). I’m interested in what would be a good direction to go. Thanks a lot.
Do you have a 4K 120hz TV and will you be gaming with your setup? If not it doesn’t matter, if you are gaming online 1st person shooter then you should wait.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Decide on the features you want right now and in the near future. Decide on what you want to spend. The Onkyo would be my choice over the X2600H but I’d have a harder time choosing between the Denon X3600H and an Onkyo TX-NR797. The 797’s are all but gone though. Stay away from the f#%kin’ Yamaha.:mad:

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
Do you have a 4K 120hz TV and will you be gaming with your setup? If not it doesn’t matter, if you are gaming online 1st person shooter then you should wait.
TV is a Samsung 6950 series 4K with 120 HZ motion. No gaming. Are you now saying I should stick with the Yamaha V6A?? Thank you

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
Decide on the features you want right now and in the near future. Decide on what you want to spend. The Onkyo would be my choice over the X2600H but I’d have a harder time choosing between the Denon X3600H and an Onkyo TX-NR797. The 797’s are all but gone though. Stay away from the f#%kin’ Yamaha.:mad:
Is Onkyo in USA stable yet to buy a product? I’m thinking service if ever necessary. Just curious why are you objecting to the Yamaha???? Thank you

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
Is Onkyo in USA stable yet to buy a product? I’m thinking service if ever necessary. Just curious why are you objecting to the Yamaha???? Thank you
Another thought: the Onkyo doesn’t appear to support eARC. Is that a problem practically?

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
If you listen to a lot of music, then yamaha Aventage series is the one for you. RX-A880, or if you can stretch your budget for RX-A1080, would easily trump the Denon for sound.

The yamaha I mentioned has e arc, dolby vision, dolby atmos and all the latest hd audio formats.

Also the app for Denon is very sluggish, Yamaha's is much better to use.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you listen to a lot of music, then yamaha Aventage series is the one for you. RX-A880, or if you can stretch your budget for RX-A1080, would easily trump the Denon for sound.

The yamaha I mentioned has e arc, dolby vision, dolby atmos and all the latest hd audio formats.

Also the app for Denon is very sluggish, Yamaha's is much better to use.

Easily trump the denon for sound...
Is this @AcuDefTechGuy ’s top secret account? Lmao.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with maz. The 3600 is the AVR darling right now. Great receiver. 8k is nothing to worry about. For a Loooooong time. Especially if you’re not gaming. I would recommend operating them each in person if you can. Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo make fine sounding receivers. But navigating each of their menu systems is totally different. I enjoy Onkyo and denon(my AVR is Marantz)and loathe yamahas menus. They also have their own language, and proprietary settings and it’s just unnecessarily confusing. They sound the same as the rest. What you’ll notice sound wise is audyssey vs ypao vs accueq. NOT the brand.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I agree with maz. The 3600 is the AVR darling right now. Great receiver. 8k is nothing to worry about. For a Loooooong time. Especially if you’re not gaming. I would recommend operating them each in person if you can. Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo make fine sounding receivers. But navigating each of their menu systems is totally different. I enjoy Onkyo and denon(my AVR is Marantz)and loathe yamahas menus. They also have their own language, and proprietary settings and it’s just unnecessarily confusing. They sound the same as the rest. What you’ll notice sound wise is audyssey vs ypao vs accueq. NOT the brand.
The 3600H has nothing special in it, but the Aventage A series has a Sabre Dac and carefully integrated components with internal bracing to reduce the vibration and optimise its performance. You're just suggesting OP an inferior product for the same price.

Yamaha has a sophisticated hardware, which does a wonderful job for music, therefore I suggested Yamaha to him.

I was in dillema, whether I should get the Denon X3600H or the Yamaha RX-A1080, based on my research, it was an easy pick. I went for the Yamaha.

Besides, if OP goes for the Denon he has to deal with the crappy Denon app which is sluggish at best.

Yamaha's app is much refined and faster.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think you will probably want eARC as these 2019 models won’t pass thru HDR10+ video to your Samsung HDR10+ TV. (Not that there’s much HDR10+ content currently)

Denon 2600 or 3600 make sense. Think you have Klipsch that don’t need much power if I remember correctly from your other thread.

Not sure on anything from Denon or Yamaha from this year. Maybe wait for the fix before purchasing even if that’s 9mo away. Not sure how Costco would deal with a TSR700 return 9mo later. A bit of a gamble there.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
TV is a Samsung 6950 series 4K with 120 HZ motion. No gaming. Are you now saying I should stick with the Yamaha V6A?? Thank you
If you’re not gaming it doesn’t matter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Easily trump the denon for sound...
Is this @AcuDefTechGuy ’s top secret account? Lmao.
Ha, ha. Very funny.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not the biggest Yamaha fan. I think that honor goes to both 3dB and M Code, who were the 2 that probably pushed me from DM to Y. :D

But the biggest push was from my experience with DM & especially Panurgy over the last 10 years.

And in case anyone is wondering, for full disclosure, I sell both Yamaha and Denon/Marantz. The heart wants what the heart wants. So it makes absolutely no difference to me what people buy. But I know what I want for myself and for my family.

So if some people want to hate Yamaha, they can do that all they want.

And the people who buy Yamaha know exactly why we want Yamaha. :D

I've say this before many times, I will say this again, and will probably say many more times in the future - I am not a fanboy of any brand. Whichever companies offer me the best reliability, functionality, price, and especially SERVICE, I will support and recommend those companies. ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Everybody has their favorite. Check your TV specs, but I do not believe your model supports eARC or HDR10+. If you are happy with your TV and plan to keep it for a few years, I wouldn't chase HDMI 2.1 spec AVR's as they will not give you anything more than you need. I've used many Denons, a Yamaha and am currently using an Onkyo TX-NR777 that is very similar to the TX-NR696 save for Dolby and DTS virtualization. If you are planning on using more than a 7.1 or 5.1.2 speaker setup, you need to consider a 9.2 and up AVR. That will cost you. I don't see value in a Denon BELOW the X3600H as they lose features, not the least of which is Audyssey XT32. I got stung by the Yamaha while owners of Aventage models swear by them but the 2019 models are just gone. The Onkyo TX-NR696 will be the most familiar to you while the Yamaha may be the most foreign. If you like streaming music, consider the built in apps for all models as well as any smart phone control apps. I like the Onkyo Smart phone app and liked the Yamaha Musiccast app. The TSR-700 was not compatible with the Yamaha Control app but that may have changed since I had mine. More info about your TV may help. Are we talkin' HU6950 or NU6950?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Besides, if OP goes for the Denon he has to deal with the crappy Denon app which is sluggish at best.

Yamaha's app is much refined and faster.
I can attest to the poor Denon/Marantz WiFi Remote app. When I was using Denon's, the remote app and AirPlay WiFi streaming worked probably less than 50% of the time (same AT&T 1 Gbps Fiber Optic Internet).

The Yamaha AV Controller and MusicCast WiFi apps have been working flawlessly 100% of the time for me ever since I switched to Yamaha.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ha, ha. Very funny.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not the biggest Yamaha fan. I think that honor goes to both 3dB and M Code, who were the 2 that probably pushed me from DM to Y. :D

But the biggest push was from my experience with DM & especially Panurgy over the last 10 years.

And in case anyone is wondering, for full disclosure, I sell both Yamaha and Denon/Marantz. The heart wants what the heart wants. So it makes absolutely no difference to me what people buy. But I know what I want for myself and for my family.

So if some people want to hate Yamaha, they can do that all they want.

And the people who buy Yamaha know exactly why we want Yamaha. :D

I've say this before many times, I will say this again, and will probably say many more times in the future - I am not a fanboy of any brand. Whichever companies offer me the best reliability, functionality, price, and especially SERVICE, I will support and recommend those companies. ;)
Of course you know I love you! Just had to zing you a little. Only because you’re probably the most vocal. You can take a good ribbing though so I thought I would.

I wasn’t even gonna post but I have experience with all brands and @Sachb posted that for music the Yamaha would easily trump the denon. I know this is not true. Even though he cited bracing and integrated components that would make the Yamaha better, its marketing bs. IIRC you’ve even said your Yamaha gear sounds the SAME as your Denons. No? The app suggestion could be valid, but I’ve used my Marantz app and it’s been just fine. I normally like hard buttons so I don’t have to look away from the screen.
Also, Sachb please tell me you don’t still have your CC on top of your receiver!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis