panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The Apple TV has some silly settings and I wish it just had a straight up bitstream mode for all audio. When selecting "best audio", it decodes and sends everything out as PCM. It will pass Atmos Metadata and your DD indicator will light up and Atmos will be displayed on the AVR. You can set it to ignore the metadata and it is sent as PCM. You can also have it bitstream old school DD 5.1 for everything and be done with it. I forgot about the Nvidia Shield cloud games. I may have to look into it. I can get my TF2 on without firing up the ol' XBOX 360. :p
It works just fine. AND you can use your 360 controllers as long as you have the USB adapter.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have an Apple TV 4K but it’s remote was rejected by the GF as “stupid” so I mostly use Firestick 4K. LOL :)
Firestick is a great device with a bad interface. Too many ads for other shows and services. It won't bitstream HD audio either, which was a big surprise for me.

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
I have an Apple TV 4K but it’s remote was rejected by the GF as “stupid” so I mostly use Firestick 4K. LOL :)
You can also use the remote feature on your iPhone and/or iPad to control Apple TV.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Firestick is a great device with a bad interface. Too many ads for other shows and services. It won't bitstream HD audio either, which was a big surprise for me.
The new chromecast with Google TV 4K might be one I would like.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You can use an AVR remote control with the Apple TV 4K by using it’s “Learn Remote” function. I use to have a Denon and it’s remote control was great when controlling an Apple TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
To be more clear, the remote control one might like to use with the Apple TV must be able to control multiple devices. A basic receiver remote control can be used but will control the Apple TV while one is using it to adjust AVR functions.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The chromecast with google TV 4K would have google assistant. Wonder how that compares with Alexa for finding content. We are pretty reliant on Alexa on the firestick 4K to find shows. (Plus it won’t activate Siri on our Apple devices when we talk to Alexa. LOL :). )

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How are you defining HD audio? Like Amazon? ;)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I do. Multiple in fact. Atmos works just fine on all my BD rips. No issues at all. Works on streaming services that support it as well. The newer version of the shield supports all the streaming services with Atmos so you can't really go wrong.

Apple TV doesn't support bitstreaming local hi-res audio so it's a no go for me. Any device that doesn't is a no go.
I might pick up the nvidia shield if there is a sale. Been putting it off for too long. How much are they when you got them?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I might pick up the nvidia shield if there is a sale. Been putting it off for too long. How much are they when you got them?
I paid anywhere between $140-160 depending on accessories. Just go with the base model and you're good.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The chromecast with google TV 4K would have google assistant. Wonder how that compares with Alexa for finding content. We are pretty reliant on Alexa on the firestick 4K to find shows. (Plus it won’t activate Siri on our Apple devices when we talk to Alexa. LOL :). )
I'm not sure about content finding, but in general it's been much better than Alexa for me. I do know that it's heavily built into the new Chromecast google tv thing, but I don't use voice search so I can't comment.

What kinds of searches do you normally do and I can test it?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure about content finding, but in general it's been much better than Alexa for me. I do know that it's heavily built into the new Chromecast google tv thing, but I don't use voice search so I can't comment.

What kinds of searches do you normally do and I can test it?
something like this:

Alexa, find storage wars.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I paid anywhere between $140-160 depending on accessories. Just go with the base model and you're good.
Thanks Pant! I guess Black Friday will have a sale like last year. I really want the Pro version.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
something like this:

Alexa, find storage wars.
Works well. Just push the assistant button and say "find storage wars" and there it is. It brought up Hulu for me. Also has the option to add to watchlist and whether or not you've already watched some. You can thumbs up or down too.

PXL_20201111_142817565.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Works well. Just push the assistant button and say "find storage wars" and there it is. It brought up Hulu for me. Also has the option to add to watchlist and whether or not you've already watched some. You can thumbs up or down too.

View attachment 41547
Dang i always forgot to use that function on my streamers. I did use it for weather though.

Spinningbull

Spinningbull

Enthusiast
I have all the boxes, nvidia shield is the only one that has lossless audio support as well as all the codecs

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Dang i always forgot to use that function on my streamers. I did use it for weather though.
I never use it if the remote is required. the NVidia shield TV was supposed to be controllable via google assistant, but functionality is limited. Plus, one of my main apps doesn't have assistant integration, but I'm an old school remote guy anyway.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I never use it if the remote is required. the NVidia shield TV was supposed to be controllable via google assistant, but functionality is limited. Plus, one of my main apps doesn't have assistant integration, but I'm an old school remote guy anyway.
Once the Nvidia shield goes on sale I’m definitely getting it. I think the old model went on sale last year for 129 i think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis