F

Fletch8448

Enthusiast
I subscribe to -

Netflix
Prime
Disney Plus

Which streaming device will give me Atmos from all three.

My TV doesn’t support Atmos so my plan is to connect a streaming device direct into my Atmos capable AV receiver.

However, I am aware not all streaming devices support Atmos on all services.

Such as the Amazon firestick 4k offers Atmos for prime but not netflix.

Does anyone have a streaming device that offers Atmos on all three formats.

Thanks.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Firestick/Mibox supports atmos, but don’t think any of those streaming services have atmos that I know of. I just got a 4KTV so I’m new to Atmos.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
They all support Atmos, but it is a mess out there. You have to find out which devices support those apps in Atmos.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
They all support Atmos, but it is a mess out there. You have to find out which devices support those apps in Atmos.
Which movies on Netflix/Prime Treb? If you can name one of each platform.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it’s a mess. Samsung TVs stream in DD+ but do not support Atmos. Apple TV supports Atmos but when streaming it, your AVR processing settings are limited. I always just search for Atmos in Netflix and Amazon Prime to find supported titles.

F

Fletch8448

Enthusiast
Ok thanks, I will try Apple TV 4K.

Direct into my AV receiver then from there to my TV.

Thanks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@panteragstk Do you have the Nvidia Shield? Or maybe know about it’s Atmos capabilities vs Apple TV 4K?
I do. Multiple in fact. Atmos works just fine on all my BD rips. No issues at all. Works on streaming services that support it as well. The newer version of the shield supports all the streaming services with Atmos so you can't really go wrong.

Apple TV doesn't support bitstreaming local hi-res audio so it's a no go for me. Any device that doesn't is a no go.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Think since the Apple TV 4K decodes the Atmos internally and sends the Dolby MAT format, that means it needs its hdmi wire to go to the AVR.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Think since the Apple TV 4K decodes the Atmos internally and sends the Dolby MAT format, that means it needs its hdmi wire to go to the AVR.
Depends on the source from what I've read. If I send a DTS-MA stream to the Apple TV, I believe it either gets transcoded by my server or the Apple TV decodes it and re-encodes it to something else. That or it just doesn't support the format. Something call Infuse for apple TV apparently supports HD audio, but not with an Atmos track embedded.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/nothing-ever-works-as-it-should/588060/141

I tried using an Xbox one as a media player and found that even though the device fully supports all codecs, it reserved that right to the internal BD player only. So everything else I threw at it got decoded to stereo then UPMIXED to Atmos in the Xbox. Only MS would do something that dumb.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
FWIW, if you are doing pure streaming the new Google TV (android TV) supports Atmos on all the streaming services that support it. It has a nice interface too.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Apple TV has some silly settings and I wish it just had a straight up bitstream mode for all audio. When selecting "best audio", it decodes and sends everything out as PCM. It will pass Atmos Metadata and your DD indicator will light up and Atmos will be displayed on the AVR. You can set it to ignore the metadata and it is sent as PCM. You can also have it bitstream old school DD 5.1 for everything and be done with it. I forgot about the Nvidia Shield cloud games. I may have to look into it. I can get my TF2 on without firing up the ol' XBOX 360. :p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have an Apple TV 4K but it’s remote was rejected by the GF as “stupid” so I mostly use Firestick 4K. LOL :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis