Used Yamaha RX-A3070 - good deal?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yammy RX-A3070 owner here.

I think that's a great price. :p

Really though AVR's, unlike speakers, will always depreciate faster, no matter what brand (Yamaha or Denon/Marantz) you choose. Just choose the brand that you prefer tonally and/or has the features your looking for or need and within your budget.

Yes there are the outliers, like the Yamaha RX-Z9 or the Denon AVR-5805 RX but overall it's like buying a new car, the price starts to drop precipitously as soon as you drive it off the lot ... regrettably.

Even though I prefer Yamaha's ... extremely reliable; I've never had one fail since the 1970's and I prefer their tonal signature ... if I had an unlimited budget right now I'd buy the Denon AVR-X8500H (Silver). Power, pretty well future/goof proof, feature wise, and gorgeous aesthetically in silver. It shows all the signs of being a future classic in my eyes.

Just make sure your credit card is well lubricated.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-o1pMUvq3pwC/p_033AVX850S/Denon-AVR-X8500H-Silver.html

Good luck.
Your right that AVR' or amps Depreciate fast sad but true. We pay a lot to stay in this hobby. As soon as you open up the box and use your gear it's Not worth half the price you paid. The only time one may recoup a fair price is on Forums like this where members know what you have. Pawnshops will only pay a whole sale price 1/4 of what It is worth. That's why our gear is usually worth more to keep what one has for as long as one can to get maximum value out of our gear.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Maybe you can provide some thoughts on why you wish to upgrade, and maybe we can provide even more sound advice. Because it seems as everyone is saying we are going to need to wait into 2021/22 to get the legit 4k/120. If you want to buy, go for a 2019 model for sure and put a bunch of cash in your pocket, as it seems you are trying to maintain a budget

***Sorry I didn't check out the 17 replies to your post lol
I wasn't really wanting to upgrade yet but my previous receiver died. I think I accidentally killed it when my grandson may have pulled wires off main speakers and shorted them out. I didn't get any indication on the receiver there was a short and I kept trying to turn it on as if there was something else wrong. I borrowed an older Onkyo and plugged in and the first thing the display said was "speaker short" and I was like, "oh crap".

Anyway, I wanted to wait until HDMI 2.1 was settled and perhaps I upgrade my TV (which could be a while - have an earlier gen LG OLED that I still love...) so wasn't doing much. I really only wanted to mess with speakers/subwoofer purchase but then was forced into the AVR market by this mishap. I ended up caving on something cheap (TSR-700) until I can get what I want in a year or two. It'll hold me over for a bit until this mess gets fixed and I have an avenue to unload it when I'm done with it so I shouldn't be out much when that time comes.

Thanks for tip on the deals section - wasn't even aware there was one here.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I have the opportunity to pick up a used Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 for $1180 (this includes tax and local so I can just pick up). It is well cared for and I know the person who owned it. It seems maybe it is a little high but not sure was hoping for closer to $1000 since no warranty either. Seems like the market for these used ones is a bit all over the place. I had contemplated a Marantz SR7013 or Denon 4500H also but of course they are more money.

Should I let this deal pass?

I have a Yamaha RX-V6A that I'm playing with now but probably going to send back due to the 8K HDMI issue and I think I want more channels and power plus I've had a few bugs with it that have plagued me a bit. I also didn't realize the subwoofer outs weren't discrete but at this price probably makes sense. I had always thought I'd be in the $1K plus category but couldn't pass the opportunity to try the RX-V6A since it seemed like a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm interested in other's opinions. Thanks.
Just re-read your message.

How old is the 3070? Yamaha let's you transfer the warranty from your friend, with a proof-of-purchase/receipt of course. Hard to believe it's already out of warranty, unless it's a refurbished model.

As I stated earlier though, Yamaha AVR's are very reliable and I've never had one fail to date.

Hope I just didn't jinx myself. :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just re-read your message.

How old is the 3070? Yamaha let's you transfer the warranty from your friend, with a proof-of-purchase/receipt of course. Hard to believe it's already out of warranty, unless it's a refurbished model.

As I stated earlier though, Yamaha AVR's are very reliable and I've never had one fail to date.

Hope I just didn't jinx myself. :p
Nope, you didnt. All of my Yamaha's are used units and all are functioning without issue, my latest RX-V1075 replacing an RX-V1500. All are bullet proof.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I wasn't really wanting to upgrade yet but my previous receiver died. I think I accidentally killed it when my grandson may have pulled wires off main speakers and shorted them out. I didn't get any indication on the receiver there was a short and I kept trying to turn it on as if there was something else wrong. I borrowed an older Onkyo and plugged in and the first thing the display said was "speaker short" and I was like, "oh crap".

Anyway, I wanted to wait until HDMI 2.1 was settled and perhaps I upgrade my TV (which could be a while - have an earlier gen LG OLED that I still love...) so wasn't doing much. I really only wanted to mess with speakers/subwoofer purchase but then was forced into the AVR market by this mishap. I ended up caving on something cheap (TSR-700) until I can get what I want in a year or two. It'll hold me over for a bit until this mess gets fixed and I have an avenue to unload it when I'm done with it so I shouldn't be out much when that time comes.

Thanks for tip on the deals section - wasn't even aware there was one here.
Yes we constantly post any deals we see. I am always sharking around for what’s a great deal.

The tsr is great, but yea that’s a huge problem now with that bug. It devalued a lot of things.

Like I said I am very glad I went with the 7013, now this problem doesn’t apply to me. And I met my required configuration and budget.

Plus according to what I understood, the 2019 and older models have functions the new ones got removed for music. I do see Audioholics posted that they introduced a new firmware update that brought a lot of that back, as gene had reached out to them about this matter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis