Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
If there is one thing I've noticed in the community its that no one ever agrees on anything.

I think my biggest gripe right now is that TSR--700, I just feel really taken advantage of and ripped off. I thinkj selling the exact same thing at two different price points but with different model numbers should be illegal.
Remember, Costco is a membership store and Costco can make deals with exclusive models. For example the Sony x90ch is same as x900h but the Costco version comes with 5 year warranty. This is how Costco makes it an attractive place to shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

D4v3

Enthusiast
Remember, Costco is a membership store and Costco can make deals with exclusive models. For example the Sony x90ch is same as x900h but the Costco version comes with 5 year warranty. This is how Costco makes it an attractive place to shop.

At the end of the day they are selling identical products with two different msrp's but different model numbers. That's gotta be against the law. These aren't on sale, it's not an extended warranty which would be purely covered by Costco, it's the same thing at a completely different msrp. This isn't OK, the rest of us who paid full price for the V6A have essentially been ripped off. I, for one, don't take kindly to getting scammed.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Look at Yamaha's MSRP for the TSR-700 on their website. It is $599.95. Costco may very well be paying the same money for the TSR-700 that Best Buy paid for the RX-V6A. Costco members pay to walk in the door but you can just stroll into a BestBuy. Costco knows that even if you come in and get a TSR-700 on the cheap, you ain't gettin' out of that place without also grabbing a big jar of pretzels and a package of underwear and tube socks.:p

D

D4v3

Enthusiast
Look at Yamaha's MSRP for the TSR-700 on their website. It is $599.99. Costco may very well be paying the same money for the TSR-700 that Best Buy paid for the RX-V6A. Costco members pay to walk in the door but you can just stroll into a BestBuy. Costco knows that even if you come in and get a TSR-700 on the cheap, you ain't gettin' out of that place without also grabbing a big jar of pretzels and a package of underwear and tube socks.:p
I have a costco membership and shop there quite a bit and frankly I don't find their electronics to be any cheaper on average than anywhere else. In fact, it's rare the Costco has a better price on something than I can find elsewhere, really the only benefit of buying electronics there is the flat rate $100 5 year warranty. For the price to be so significantly different I would think they must be paying less for these, especially at launch.

It sure feels like all of us paying full price are just chumps. Can't help but feel $399 is what these are really worth.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is what it is. Having had the TSR-700, don't get me started, it may have been worth the $599.95 if the best features were not disabled until a future update and it didn't have so many bugs. No, Costco prices are not always bargains. The $399.99 for the TSR-700 was a great price. But, if it sounds to good to be true...

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Hi Guys,

Looking for some last minute advice on the v6a. I pre-ordered on months ago and it just finally arrived here in Canada but having seen all the recent developments I'm leaning towards getting my money back.

The problem is, our old Onkyo died like 4 or 5 months ago and I can't do TV speakers anymore. This receiver is at the top of our budget range so I'm not sure if there are any better options available but here are my concerns;

1. The prce, why is Yamaha selling these for $399 at Costco in the states? It makes anyone else who buys the v6a a chump. I paid $850 CAD for mine and knowing that these are being sold for the equivalent of about $500 really annoys me. Either these are not the exact same receivers (cheaper components etc) or Yamha knows they have a problem and is trying to blow them out as fast as possible. Why else would they de-value their products like that?

2. HDMI 2.1 fiasco, I pre-ordered one of these for the HDMI 2.1 I do a lot of PC gaming on my TV and 4K 120 is an important thing for me in the future. I don't buy new receivers every couple years so I wanted something I could comfortably use for at least 5 years.

3. Sound quality, I was expecting these to be quite good but that review over on ASR really dashed my hopes. I'm a bit of a budget audiophile and if it's that bad then Im not sure I want it.

I've been talking with a guy over at Yamaha over the past few weeks and when I pointed out these issues he got all butt hurt and defensive and then stopped responding. Not a great sign.

Should I take my money and run? If so, are there better options at this price point ($859 cad?)
I can speak for # 2 and # 3 when I had my V4A

The HDMI 4K/120hz issue with the Panasonic chipset, don’t expect a fix until next year sometime. Be it a full chipset replacement via warranty or firmware update. The guy that said if you are buying for HDMI 2.1 wait around a year and a half is probably right on the money. I would wait if that was your only reason and just use the 2.1 port on the Tv and EARC the sound to the receiver.

The color banding issue is a compatibility issue with a few 2020 model TVs. LG CX and Sony X90H are the two I’m seeing people post about the most. Firmware might fix it, but it’s not likely to be this year. My experience with Yamaha CS was pretty bad. They have told me its my cables, my Apple TV and now it’s my TV that’s not compatible with their receiver. They wouldn’t come out and say “hey our bad, we are working on a fix”. So with that, I’ll never buy anything Yamaha makes.

The sound I thought was pretty good. I’m not an elitist or anything. Sounds were pretty accurate in location from what I could tell. Didn’t notice any distortion. Bass was a little low for what ever reason compared to my Sony receiver.

Last edited:
D

D4v3

Enthusiast
It is what it is. Having had the TSR-700, don't get me started, it may have been worth the $599.95 if the best features were not disabled until a future update and it didn't have so many bugs. No, Costco prices are not always bargains. The $399.99 for the TSR-700 was a great price. But, if it sounds to good to be true...
Honeslt I'm not sure weather to pick it up tomorrow or just get my money back. We've been without a receiver for 4 or 5 months now and I just can't take the tv speakers and having to constantly swap HDMI cables anymore. But if I don't get this then what? I don't see anything else around this price range that is any better.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, you might get a good one. Costco's return policy is great. Keep the box and put it all back in it and they don't make a fuss. I really wanted mine to work. I probably would have traded it for another but Yamaha just pissed me off and I didn't want to deal with support again if the new one sucked.:mad:

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Honeslt I'm not sure weather to pick it up tomorrow or just get my money back. We've been without a receiver for 4 or 5 months now and I just can't take the tv speakers and having to constantly swap HDMI cables anymore. But if I don't get this then what? I don't see anything else around this price range that is any better.
What features are you looking for exactly?

D

D4v3

Enthusiast
Well, you might get a good one. Costco's return policy is great. Keep the box and put it all back in it and they don't make a fuss. I really wanted mine to work. I probably would have traded it for another but Yamaha just pissed me off and I didn't want to deal with support again if the new one sucked.:mad:
They don't have them at Costco here, at least not yet, I'm buying it from Visions Electronics. I can't say I''m impressed with Yamaha support either. I was talking to one guy on there and when I brought up the issues people are reporting he got defensive and stopped responding.

Last edited:
D

D4v3

Enthusiast
What features are you looking for exactly?
7.2 at minimum, at least 100w RMS though more would be better. Good sound quality, 4k HDR, Dolby Visions and HDR10+, HDMI 2.1 but I know that's a bust right now. Low latency pass through, the basics really. Some sort of wifi integration would be nice too so you can cast to it.

I can pay a little more but can't go a whole lot past $850 cad.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
7.2 at minimum, at least 100w RMS though more would be better. Good sound quality, 4k HDR, Dolby Visions and HDR10+, HDMI 2.1 but I know that's a bust right now. Low latency pass through, the basics really. Some sort of wifi integration would be nice too so you can cast to it.

I can pay a little more but can't go a whole lot past $850 cad.
You might be better off buying a cheap receiver or a cheap soundbar (ewww I know) for now on Black Friday to get you by and wait until the manufacturers gets HDMI 2.1 under control next year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If there is one thing I've noticed in the community its that no one ever agrees on anything.

I think my biggest gripe right now is that TSR--700, I just feel really taken advantage of and ripped off. I thinkj selling the exact same thing at two different price points but with different model numbers should be illegal.
They could be the same. Look at how ATI sell their amps (and Pre-pro) at much higher prices than the amps ATI make for Monoprice and Outlaw Audio. They are not the same, but pretty darn close. Close enough for "government work" at least. :D

As for Costco's introductory prices - they were just introductory prices, which is a common marketing tactic.

Yamaha will sell to Costco at DEALER COST. And they probably made an agreement that Costco is allowed to lower their prices for a very short introductory period. This is probably a win-win for both Costco and Yamaha.

But as @Gmoney says, the short introductory period is over and the price at Costco is back up to $599.

BTW, Gmoney should be getting his new Yamaha RX-V6A any minute now from UPS. So he might be a little busy for a while. :D

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
They could be the same. Look at how ATI sell their amps (and Pre-pro) at much higher prices than the amps ATI make for Monoprice and Outlaw Audio. They are not the same, but pretty darn close. Close enough for "government work" at least. :D

As for Costco's introductory prices - they were just introductory prices, which is a common marketing tactic.

Yamaha will sell to Costco at DEALER COST. And they probably made an agreement that Costco is allowed to lower their prices for a very short introductory period. This is probably a win-win for both Costco and Yamaha.

But as @Gmoney says, the short introductory period is over and the price at Costco is back up to $599.

BTW, Gmoney should be getting his new Yamaha RX-V6A any minute now from UPS. So he might be a little busy for a while. :D
The price is still $399 at Costco. I just checked. Plus it does not come under the 90 day money back limitation.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Why care about ASR at all? :D

Ask yourself this question: Why did all of the audio magazines and publications (Stereophile, S&V, Soundstage, AH, etc.) STOP doing these distortion and noise measurements for AVR/AVP?

Aside from manpower and money, all these numbers are completely inaudible, especially when you factor in the fact that many people use FANS for their hot AVRs which add NOISE, and then add in Air Conditioner Noise and Heater Noise, add in other house Noises, and then add in 80-90dB+ sound from 7-9 speakers or more.

None of those THD/SINAD numbers you see on ASR will be audible.

So why even care what they say on ASR?

But so what if THD is 0.0275% at 2V? That has been the usual THD for AVRs in the $500-750 range measured on S&V for the longest time. So why is it now all of the sudden critical? It was nothing bad 2 years ago on S&V magazine. But now it's critical? :D
One member in the thread brought this up. Something to think about.

I have two Yamaha receivers, the RX-A780 in a 5.1 setup and the RX-V385 in a stereo setup. In both instances, I never seem to listen at levels higher than -20 on the volume scale, and usually lower. Based on the numbers on this test, which showed a SINAD of about 93 at a volume setting of -10, and amplifier THD numbers of about .02% compared to the factory spec ratings of .06% and .09% for mine, I am feeling pretty good about my purchases, hoping that these test results translate somewhat to my models.

Apparently many receivers are designed to operate normally at voltages and volume levels far below what these tests are performed at?

D

D4v3

Enthusiast
Well, I ended up grabbing the V6A, we'll see how she goes. There just isn't anything better at the price point right now and I'm tired of waiting.

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
Well, I ended up grabbing the V6A, we'll see how she goes. There just isn't anything better at the price point right now and I'm tired of waiting.
Except of course the TSR-700

D

D4v3

Enthusiast
Well a couple quick first impressions. Having some issues with the second subwoofer output, it only works if you set amp config to 5.1.2, not sure if this is a bug or if I'm missing something but need it to work wtih the "basic" config.

I'm really not a fan of the knobs, the action on them is great and smooth but the knobs themselves feel really cheap. They have this sharp rim around them and just feel like really cheap plastic. Why do so many AVR's get this wrong? It's the only thing you intaract with on the receiver and it's the first thing I play with at the store. If I were shopping for a receiver and felt those knobs I would have probably passed this receiver by.

Sound quality actuaally seems quite nice, it's got that clean neutral Yamaha sound . I haven't gotten to test too much on it yet but so far it sounds good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis