S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
HI: I've been away for awhile hope everyone here is doing ok these days???

Starting to think/research about a new TV currently have a Panasonic plasma TV from 2013 55ST60 love it. So that being my benchmark so to speak which TV is better then or a least as good as what I have now?Reading up OLED seems to be the clear winner....however have gone to 2 stores & both said the OLED should last 4-7 years???Really dropping 2500(Canada is where I live) for such a short time of ownership???So given that & reading conflicting info on burn in & price premium on OLED vs even a higher end LED(which is what say a QLED is) if it lasts say 9+ years that seems to be a better direction to go??What says you guys!Stay & well folks!!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Full array backlit with 90+ Dimming zones supposed to be the best. Next Direct lit.
LG has a few. Vizio, TCL also

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you're after best picture quality OLED is the way to go. The other technologies will be a let down coming from a plasma.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OLED is a technology.

QLED is marketing.

OLED all day long! At least, that was my choice, and no regrets.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
It does depend on your room. OLED kills in a dark room, LCD does better in a bright room, especially if you care about HDR.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If you're after best picture quality OLED is the way to go. The other technologies will be a let down coming from a plasma.
I disagreed with your post as motion is one tricky part part of OLDED that is not yet solved for consumer OLED TC's as compared to plasma. That said, I really would like to have a bigger OLED screen....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I disagreed with your post as motion is one tricky part part of OLDED that is not yet solved for consumer OLED TC's as compared to plasma. That said, I really would like to have a bigger OLED screen....
But in comparison to LCD's? That's the only other available consumer option right now.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm still holding on to my old Panasonic Plasma for now, but that is not an option for most.
How old is it? Mine has 'July 2013' on the label. I hate the thought of replacing it but hopefully, they'll come up with something comparable by that time.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
How old is it? Mine has 'July 2013' on the label. I hate the thought of replacing it but hopefully, they'll come up with something comparable by that time.
Mine is bought in 2011 and is the Panasonic P42VT30Y.

highfigh

highfigh

Mine is bought in 2011 and is the Panasonic P42VT30Y.
I have the TC-P42X60- at 42", having the highest resolution isn't as critical and when my previous TV annoyed me to the point of needing replacement, this was the only plasma model I could find. I like to be able to watch and listen without thinking about audio or video problems, like generally bad sound or blur with motion, lack of contrast, etc. I was installing some AV equipment and the homeowners had bought a new 55" Sony LCD TV. I set it to watch a TV channel and Criminal Minds came on- it looked like a TV news report and seemed completely unnatural. It was that 'Soap Opera effect' and if I had bought that TV, it would have been returned. I couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Many new sets come with some motion interpolation on by default. It seems many people never dig that deep and it stays on forever. The "Dirty" screen from LCDs bugs me. My set seems to have started getting the failing LED magenta spots as well. My eight year old Samsung Plasma, while not a stellar example, still looks as good as new.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

Starting to think/research about a new TV currently have a Panasonic plasma TV from 2013 55ST60 love it. So that being my benchmark so to speak which TV is better then or a least as good as what I have now?Reading up OLED seems to be the clear winner....however have gone to 2 stores & both said the OLED should last 4-7 years???Really dropping 2500(Canada is where I live) for such a short time of ownership???So given that & reading conflicting info on burn in & price premium on OLED vs even a higher end LED(which is what say a QLED is) if it lasts say 9+ years that seems to be a better direction to go??What says you guys!Stay & well folks!!
A serious consideration will be how often you use the TV, what room it is in, and what your complaints are about the current display.

If your current TV works, and you are happy with it, and you aren't changing the size, then upgrading is next to pointless.

LCD vs. OLED is a fair question, and it has been answered 1,000 times over. OLED has the better black levels, shadow details, and is just the most killer image on the market and easily matches the best that plasma ever could deliver. So, it's a definite 'upgrade'. LCD does not match those black levels, but it stomps plasma in terms of brightness.

So, if you are often watching in a bright room, then LCD can really do a stellar job of beating out the bright light in that room and give you an image that will simply feel a lot better than what your plasma could ever deliver.
But, after dark, you will notice that the black levels aren't as good as what you have enjoyed for years.
The black levels of the newest LCD displays have gotten very good and the image quality really is quite solid, but 'match plasma'? No, it does not.
OLED does match plasma. Like, pretty much across the board, it can be a bit better. Plasma can apparently win with motion handling on the best displays, but it's a slim margin and the newest OLEDs up the ante. So, if you are shooting for after dark performance, then OLED will match the best that plasma (Pioneer Kuro) could ever deliver, and do so with 4K and HDR support. In a dark room, it will simply give you an absolutely stunning image that will blow you away.
But, it won't be much brighter than your plasma, and won't look a 'WORLD' better. Especially if you are a heavy TV watcher. Television is broadcast in 720p or 1080i. They haven't even hit 1080p as a standard, let alone 4K HDR. So, your viewing will not 'improve' by dropping a lot of money on a new TV.

If you are going up in size, then it may all be worth it, and use your room and your viewing habits to pick the technology that is best suited to you specifically.

As reference: I went from a 64" Samsung plasma to a 85" LCD. It is clearly an inferior image. But, I'm not upset because I did want the extra size and brightness in my family room. I knew the tradeoff would be there. My brother just did the same thing. We ended up getting him a Sony 900 series, and so far he seems pretty happy.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A serious consideration will be how often you use the TV, what room it is in, and what your complaints are about the current display.

If your current TV works, and you are happy with it, and you aren't changing the size, then upgrading is next to pointless.

LCD vs. OLED is a fair question, and it has been answered 1,000 times over. OLED has the better black levels, shadow details, and is just the most killer image on the market and easily matches the best that plasma ever could deliver. So, it's a definite 'upgrade'. LCD does not match those black levels, but it stomps plasma in terms of brightness.

So, if you are often watching in a bright room, then LCD can really do a stellar job of beating out the bright light in that room and give you an image that will simply feel a lot better than what your plasma could ever deliver.
But, after dark, you will notice that the black levels aren't as good as what you have enjoyed for years.
The black levels of the newest LCD displays have gotten very good and the image quality really is quite solid, but 'match plasma'? No, it does not.
OLED does match plasma. Like, pretty much across the board, it can be a bit better. Plasma can apparently win with motion handling on the best displays, but it's a slim margin and the newest OLEDs up the ante. So, if you are shooting for after dark performance, then OLED will match the best that plasma (Pioneer Kuro) could ever deliver, and do so with 4K and HDR support. In a dark room, it will simply give you an absolutely stunning image that will blow you away.
But, it won't be much brighter than your plasma, and won't look a 'WORLD' better. Especially if you are a heavy TV watcher. Television is broadcast in 720p or 1080i. They haven't even hit 1080p as a standard, let alone 4K HDR. So, your viewing will not 'improve' by dropping a lot of money on a new TV.

If you are going up in size, then it may all be worth it, and use your room and your viewing habits to pick the technology that is best suited to you specifically.

As reference: I went from a 64" Samsung plasma to a 85" LCD. It is clearly an inferior image. But, I'm not upset because I did want the extra size and brightness in my family room. I knew the tradeoff would be there. My brother just did the same thing. We ended up getting him a Sony 900 series, and so far he seems pretty happy.
Excellent points. I did the same in my family room. 65" vt60 panasonic to a cheap 70" vizio. I'm happy with it, but it's nowhere near as good as my plasma. Once the plasma dies, it'll get replaced with an OLED set.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
All this talk about TV quality and none about viewers' eyes. If I took my glasses off, I couldn't tell you what kind of f#%kin' TV I was looking at.o_O

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If you are used to plasma screens, you will hate LED or QLED.

Only the best OLED screens will match your plasma. I have two 2K Panny plasmas in use and a 77"C class LG OLED. which is 4K. Even then the OLED is may be marginally better than the plasma, and I say very marginally. All the others would be a big downgrade.

So you need to pony up for a C class LG OLED. I hope my OLED lasts longer then 4 to 7 years, but we will see. At the moment it has been in use for just over a year.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
All this talk about TV quality and none about viewers' eyes. If I took my glasses off, I couldn't tell you what kind of f#%kin' TV I was looking at.o_O
Put your glasses on and get a bigger TV! You clearly have a need for a larger setup. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you are used to plasma screens, you will hate LED or QLED.

Only the best OLED screens will match your plasma. I have two 2K Panny plasmas in use and a 77"C class LG OLED. which is 4K. Even then the OLED is may be marginally better than the plasma, and I say very marginally. All the others would be a big downgrade.

So you need to pony up for a C class LG OLED. I hope my OLED lasts longer then 4 to 7 years, but we will see. At the moment it has been in use for just over a year.
I don't think 'hate' is the right word. Image processing is a big deal, and some do it better than others. Likewise, you do get a lot of brightness which you don't get from plasma when you go to LCD. But, yes, it isn't plasma, so people have to be aware of the differences they will be buying into.

If you are using that plasma, mostly during the day, in a well lit room, there is a good argument to saying that plasma was a weak performer and a decent LCD will outperform because of the added brightness.

It's also unfair to call the best LCDs a 'big downgrade'. Their image is excellent, they just can't touch the black levels which OLED can reach. They can do a fair bit with brightness though and HDR isn't half bad on them when the room has a bit of light going into it.

Still, yes, OLED is king of raw image quality these days. If the goal is a one-for-one plasma replacement with a boost to 4K (or higher) image quality, then OLED is certainly the product for it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis