Denon Vs Yamaha AVR

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I am shopping around to build my first ever home theatre, a guy in one of the local shops suggested these two models https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a1080_u/index.html & https://ca.denon.com/en-ca/shop/receivers/avrx3600h_d?varId= which would suit my budget but not sure which one to go for (I knew that I am not comparing apple to apple). Please suggest to me an AVR with a decent power rating, I am open to any brand and any model.

Good to have,
Power rating preferably more than 100 W so that I could easily upgrade my speakers without switching the AVR in future
7.2 channels min.
4K passthrough
Voice Assistant

The only constraint is my existing front channel speakers are of 4 Ohms, wondering if the above AVRs can drive those without putting much stress on the amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the REQ and sub implementation particularly is superior in the Denon. What speakers are you using?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im a Yamaha fanboy and have only owned Yamaha...many I have bought used and all are operating without issue. I prefer Yamaha as they have the best reliability out of all of them. Yamaha's YPAO room correction works ok, not as good as Denon's room correction but what Yamaha offers that no other manufacturer offers is the ability to go in and edit the room eq settings.

The RX-A1080 will have little problem driving 4 ohm loads for your main speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Check out this thread.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
I think the REQ and sub implementation particularly is superior in the Denon. What speakers are you using?
The speakers I've now is from my from age-old HIFI component system,
FRONT SPEAKERS: 150 W per channel, min. RMS, driven into
4 Ohm at I kHz with no more than 10% total

Very soon I am planning to replace that with the tower speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speakers I've now is from my from age-old HIFI component system,
FRONT SPEAKERS: 150 W per channel, min. RMS, driven into
4 Ohm at I kHz with no more than 10% total

Very soon I am planning to replace that with the tower speakers.
Meant more what make/model of speaker. The wattage rating means little except as a guideline for max power and it sounds more like an amp rating than a speaker rating in this case. Each avr you mention has pre-outs so you can easily add external amplification if needed.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Meant more what make/model of speaker. The wattage rating means little except as a guideline for max power and it sounds more like an amp rating than a speaker rating in this case. Each avr you mention has pre-outs so you can easily add external amplification if needed.
1602949088705.png

This is what I see on back of the speaker, I would connect to an AVR without using any external amplifiers.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
I am living in Canada, the prices they are quoting for Yamaha is 1300 CAD & for Denon would be around 1400 CAD not sure if the models are worth spending in terms of reliability and power rating. Your suggestions on this would be highly appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 40746
This is what I see on back of the speaker, I would connect to an AVR without using any external amplifiers.
Sometimes an external amp is better with very low impedance speakers, especially if you want to drive them to high levels. If the speaker is rated 4 ohm nominal as this one is, it likely dips to much lower impedance at times.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Sometimes an external amp is better with very low impedance speakers, especially if you want to drive them to high levels. If the speaker is rated 4 ohm nominal as this one is, it likely dips to much lower impedance at times.
I agree! Do you think any cheap amplifiers can do this as I have plans to upgrade my speakers and can't invest much in amplifiers now?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree! Do you think any cheap amplifiers can do this as I have plans to upgrade my speakers and can't invest much in amplifiers now?
If you're changing speakers I wouldn't worry about the amp so much....but you might want to avoid the lowest impedance speakers....somewhat depends on how loud and how far away from the speakers you'll be. A pro amp like a Crown XLS isn't very expensive and can handle 2 ohm loads without issue. What tower speakers are you considering?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
With all due respect you need speakers not an AVR you need speakers first

You can use those speakers as goalposts for practice and field goals or maybe for hockey or something as posts but I wouldn't use them for anything other than that you need Speakers put your budget there

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@Arun Prasad ......Denon for me and another person said, you can add an amplifier or not. You can also add a subwoofer for better sound.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
If you're changing speakers I wouldn't worry about the amp so much....but you might want to avoid the lowest impedance speakers....somewhat depends on how loud and how far away from the speakers you'll be. A pro amp like a Crown XLS isn't very expensive and can handle 2 ohm loads without issue. What tower speakers are you considering?
Honestly, haven't started looking at that yet but I wish I could get some entry-level speakers in Focal or Paradigm or in Polk.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
What are you using now for amp?
The main unit stopped working a few years ago so I am not using those speakers now and I thought I could hook up this to a receiver.

JVC DXU10 is the model name.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I would get yourself some of those Paradigm Premier Series speakers now

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The main unit stopped working a few years ago so I am not using those speakers now and I thought I could hook up this to a receiver.

JVC DXU10 is the model name.
Yes, you can hook those speakers up to the receivers you mention. Just that if you try very high volume levels it may not work out....

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Yes, you can hook those speakers up to the receivers you mention. Just that if you try very high volume levels it may not work out....
Thanks, it really helps!
I've shortlisted the below receivers based on few form factors like no. of channels, power rating, and budget. As @mazersteven suggested I would definitely need some good speakers but if I want to start with receivers what would be your choice out of these receivers below (for a beginner), sorry if it's too much to ask here your expert opinion matters.

Denon AVR-X1600H - 798 CAD
Denon AVRS960H 7.2 Channel 8K - 899 CAD
Yamaha RX-A780 - 899 CAD
Marantz NR1711 7.2 Channel 8K - 1099 CAD
Denon AVR-X2600H - 1099 CAD
Yamaha RX-A880 - 1199 CAD
Yamaha RX-A1080 - 1300 CAD
Denon AVR-X3600H - 1400 CAD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers