First time power amp buyer... now which receiver??

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Emotiva XPA-3 is going in to my paradigm center and towers.

Denon 4500H for $1,200 vs Denon 2600H for $600

I have two SVS rear surround speakers along with two SVS PB-2000 pro subs.

From my little understanding of how all this works, since the front three pradigms are running through the emotiva, it would be the two rear SVS that are the only speakers running through the wattage and power from the Denon receiver. If that is correct, is an extra 30watts from the 4500H going to be worth $600 more over the 2600H?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon 2600 doesn't have the necessary pre-outs to use an external amp with....you need to go to the 3xxx and up models with Denon for pre-outs....

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Those are good prices!

At this point I’m spending a lot of money for the subs and amp and such. So if I need to spend an extra $600 for the better receiver I will. I just want to make sure I’m not wasting the money if a lower receiver will be just fine since I have the amp.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Denon 2600 doesn't have the necessary pre-outs to use an external amp with....you need to go to the 3xxx and up models with Denon for pre-outs....
I didn’t even pay attention to that. Thanks! I though all “In-command” series from Denon had the pre-outs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t even pay attention to that. Thanks! I though all “In-command” series from Denon had the pre-outs.

I'm not sure what In Command even refers to....think it originally related to custom installs?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm not sure what In Command even refers to....think it originally related to custom installs?
They have buttons for personalized settings, for different users.

That's the marketing department, for you. They come up with names and descriptions that make people ask what they are.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
I was looking at the 4500 vs 46 or 47. I’m sure one year newer doesn’t make that much of a difference. Technology doesn’t change that quickly.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

From my little understanding of how all this works, since the front three pradigms are running through the emotiva, it would be the two rear SVS that are the only speakers running through the wattage and power from the Denon receiver. If that is correct, is an extra 30watts from the 4500H going to be worth $600 more over the 2600H?
If I was looking at a new AVR and I had a decent external amp I would go with the 3700. It's sonically better than the 4500 and has additional features and runs cooler:

3700.png

If I wanted Auro-3D and dual readout lines on the AVR I would go with the Denon 4700.
4700.png

The problem with going with the older 4500 or 3600 is there has been significant changes since then and quite frankly - they are old models. The 4500 is several years old tech. My 4500 broke down after 9 months and it's still in the shop waiting for parts... After a month in the shop I bought a 4700 and will use the 4500 in another room if it ever gets fixed by Denon.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Some here would say your blowing money on Emotiva amps, that the amps in the Denon are sufficient.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
If I was looking at a new AVR and I had a decent external amp I would go with the 3700. It's sonically better than the 4500 and has additional features and runs cooler:

View attachment 40756

If I wanted Auro-3D and dual readout lines on the AVR I would go with the Denon 4700.
View attachment 40757

The problem with going with the older 4500 or 3600 is there has been significant changes since then and quite frankly - they are old models. The 4500 is several years old tech. My 4500 broke down after 9 months and it's still in the shop waiting for parts... After a month in the shop I bought a 4700 and will use the 4500 in another room if it ever gets fixed by Denon.
What significant changes? I believe the older models are immersive audio equipped. Other than that, there isn't anything significant in the audio world.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
What significant changes? I believe the older models are immersive audio equipped. Other than that, there isn't anything significant in the audio world.
I posted a comparison list. While the 8K port is obvious, Atmos virtualization, HDR10+, Dynamic HDR, bluetooth headphone support, newer bluetooth and HDCP versions are all new features. At some point, you have to decide if I'm going to buy do I want older tech or the latest?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I posted a comparison list. While the 8K port is obvious, Atmos virtualization, HDR10+, Dynamic HDR, Bluetooth headphone support, newer Bluetooth and HDCP versions are all new features. At some point, you have to decide if I'm going to buy do I want older tech or the latest?
8K, are you serious? HDR 10+, how many TV brands, UHD disc, streaming services provide HDR-10+? If you would have said better amps I could understand. I don't think it's wise to purchase just on the grounds of being a new tech.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
8K, are you serious? HDR 10+, how many TV brands, UHD disc, streaming services provide HDR-10+? If you would have said better amps I could understand. I don't think it's wise to purchase just on the grounds of being a new tech.
I can't report better amps. My 4700 ran super HOT until I used ECO mode. Eventually, I moved all my speakers to external amps and selected "Preamp mode" in amp assign. Even still the unit has some heat coming from the top. The Denon 4700 runs hot.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Some here would say your blowing money on Emotiva amps, that the amps in the Denon are sufficient.
I’ve had a couple people say that but the majority of them say the paradigm 100s need more power than just the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis