Biden vs. Trump Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, it may have been interpreted on way but by no means that is the only interpretation. Good behavior doesn't mean lifetime to me.
Federalists papers talks about impeachment only way to remove. Yes, but that would apply even during an 18 year term and so would good behavior.
So, Barrett would certainly think and read that as law but others would not.
But, this too can be tested by a congressional Act as the number that established 9 jurists. :)
At least to me, and I don't count except at dinner that I am present, it is not spelled out as it could have been.
I don't view the second amendment the way the gun nuts do but my interpretation doesn't mean a lot :) We'll see how the bill does that's been introduced to put term limits on SCOTUS for starters....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, my wife and I discussed this at length when she was in law school. The challenges are that IMO make SCJ term limits impossible:

1. Any law will get a challenge that ends up in front of the very judges who are affected by the law.

2. The only way to get a law passed in the first place will be if the party that wants limits controls both houses of Congress and the Presidency.
Or constitutional amendment....we'll see what if anything happens....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would suggest anyone that reads the news or watches the news channels take a look at how factual they are. Sure, most people won't believe this site even though it's run independently, but convincing someone of the actual truth that want's to believe something different isn't very easy.

https://www.politifact.com/
This is a good site for checking how factual a source is:
They rate Politifact "High" for "Factual Reporting"
And indicate a slightly left leaning bias ... however they also point out that the reason for that bias is because they have been fact-checking more republican statements and that is very likely due to the fact that Republicans have had more of a presence in the media (not to mention Trump's twitter feeds which are unprecedented as far as presenting high volume of statements to fact-check!
Also provide a nice history.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
But why will Biden not agree to answer the "Court Stacking" question? I have a REAL problem with this because if the Dems do stack the court in their favor what do you think the Republicans will do next time they get the chance?
I honestly think Biden won't answer the question because he probably doesn't know what he would do yet.
David, the answer to your question is pure political calculus. If Biden says "yes we will stack it", they will alienate some of the moderate and swing voters. If they say "no we won't", they alienate the more liberal side of the Dems. Either way they would lose more votes than they would gain.
I also think Panter may be right. I don't think Biden is the guy who would be too casual about changing the rules, but we all have our own limits. If he sees Obamacare revoked and peoples lives being ruined by whatever replacement the Republicans are not willing to reveal, or worse, there is a six month lapse while the REP plan is being hashed out while people with Covid complications cannot afford treatment (not many could without insurance). If we get into these worst case scenarios, I can see the place where stacking the Supreme Court becomes the lesser of evils!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Millions of acres were set afire by lightning and PG&E perhaps, homeless not so much. Sounds like a Faux news story I read about.....what's your source? Sounds as good as our raker-in-chief blaming California for the mismanagement of the millions of acres of federal land that also burns....
I don't have any agenda against homeless camps, other than A) how much open space can a huge state have and not set up something for them? and B) the politicians blather on about how great a job they're doing of "being here for my constituents". California is so badly run that my cousin, who generally doesn't post about it on FB (keeps her posts about friends and family) put up some info about a huge tax increase that's an attempt to fix the ginormous debt they have accrued.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't view the second amendment the way the gun nuts do but my interpretation doesn't mean a lot :) We'll see how the bill does that's been introduced to put term limits on SCOTUS for starters....
This country has a lot of wackos who act like they're going to have a shootout as soon as the military shows up but my take on the Second Amendment is: if it wasn't seen as important, it wouldn't be the second, it would be lower on the list. I think that self-defense is something we need, especially since this country has so many violent criminals, who can't stop themselves. While the police are more than occupied with the protests, car theft/car chases and other crimes, armed home entry, carjacking and armed robbery are three instances where the police can't be there to help and if the criminal is also jacked up on something, they're not going to listen to reason. We also don't need vigilantes and militias stirring the pot. That plot to kidnap the MI Governor- they need to see serious time in prison if found guilty, preferably without any contact with anyone who shares their level of commitment to that cause.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I also think Panter may be right. I don't think Biden is the guy who would be too casual about changing the rules, but we all have our own limits. If he sees Obamacare revoked and peoples lives being ruined by whatever replacement the Republicans are not willing to reveal, or worse, there is a six month lapse while the REP plan is being hashed out while people with Covid complications cannot afford treatment (not many could without insurance). If we get into these worst case scenarios, I can see the place where stacking the Supreme Court becomes the lesser of evils!
Way too much attention is paid to the Supreme court. They are judges, not law makers. Any decision they make is only because the law is ambiguous. If the congress doesn't like a court decision they can change the law.

I see Christians who think Trump's treatment of others and ethics are less than stellar but say they are voting for him just on the abortion issue. That makes little sense. The Supreme Court won't make any difference that lawmakers don't want to happen on a broad continuing policy. If the court does interpret a law contrary to main stream public opinion then that law can be revisited by Congress.

highfigh

highfigh

Way too much attention is paid to the Supreme court. They are judges, not law makers. Any decision they make is only because the law is ambiguous. If the congress doesn't like a court decision they can change the law.

I see Christians who think Trump's treatment of others and ethics are less than stellar but say they are voting for him just on the abortion issue. That makes little sense. The Supreme Court won't make any difference that lawmakers don't want to happen on a broad continuing policy. If the court does interpret a law contrary to main stream public opinion then that law can be revisited by Congress.
I don't think too much attention is being paid to SCOTUS- they interpret the laws and if the justices could be described as 'activist' and working for the Left or Right, it can lead to long, drawn out cases without agreement or shifting the needle on the decisions. They need to be as balanced as possible, but that doesn't mean they can't be Liberal or Conservative. Personally, I would like to see Congress work together as well as she and Scalia did.

WRT to your comment about Congress not liking a court decision- if they make changes, SCOTUS is there to find whether it's Constitutional, or not. That's why they exist and the reason we have the three branches- it's called 'Balance of Power'. If one goes off the rails, the other two are there to prevent the problems that go along with it.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
WRT to your comment about Congress not liking a court decision- if they make changes, SCOTUS is there to find whether it's Constitutional, or not. That's why they exist and the reason we have the three branches- it's called 'Balance of Power'. If one goes off the rails, the other two are there to prevent the problems that go along with it.
That's what it's supposed to be, but the executive branch has been quite far off the rails for some time and nobody seems to be doing much to stop it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This country has a lot of wackos who act like they're going to have a shootout as soon as the military shows up but my take on the Second Amendment is: if it wasn't seen as important, it wouldn't be the second, it would be lower on the list. I think that self-defense is something we need, especially since this country has so many violent criminals, who can't stop themselves. While the police are more than occupied with the protests, car theft/car chases and other crimes, armed home entry, carjacking and armed robbery are three instances where the police can't be there to help and if the criminal is also jacked up on something, they're not going to listen to reason. We also don't need vigilantes and militias stirring the pot. That plot to kidnap the MI Governor- they need to see serious time in prison if found guilty, preferably without any contact with anyone who shares their level of commitment to that cause.

I don't have any agenda against homeless camps, other than A) how much open space can a huge state have and not set up something for them? and B) the politicians blather on about how great a job they're doing of "being here for my constituents". California is so badly run that my cousin, who generally doesn't post about it on FB (keeps her posts about friends and family) put up some info about a huge tax increase that's an attempt to fix the ginormous debt they have accrued.
So you just thought you'd dump on the homeless for a problem you're not very aware of? Or is that your cousin's doing? Or simply too much Faux news perhaps?

Do you just live in a constant state of whipped up fears?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 40623View attachment 40623
So you just thought you'd dump on the homeless for a problem you're not very aware of? Or is that your cousin's doing? Or simply too much Faux news perhaps?

Do you just live in a constant state of whipped up fears?
so, Ca has no problem then ? ..........interesting, for when I took my family out there for a vacation a couple years back SF was a disgrace compared to all the good memories I have had going back 40 years ago.

As for the homeless, yes it is a nationwide problem with no real 'easy' fix I suspect ........

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

so, Ca has no problem then ? ..........interesting, for when I took my family out there for a vacation a couple years back SF was a disgrace compared to all the good memories I have had going back 40 years ago.

As for the homeless, yes it is a nationwide problem with no real 'easy' fix I suspect ........
If you are homeless you look for a climate where you can live outside? Not to many homeless in freezing cold or 115F heat for long. CA offers climate advantages.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Don't be daft, of course there are problems. I lived there for quite a while (over 30 years) and don't have the issues with it you do. California has more than its share of homeless, probably going back to when Reagan was governor as a root (dismantling mental health facilities) plus the weather that makes it a lot easier than many other places. I went to Philly once, it wasn't all that pretty either. Nature of the human race and big cities to an extent, not helped by white flight to the burbs....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My mistake. This happened during the Mueller investigation questionnaire.
It's impressive that you keep track of all the stuff surrounding Trump as well as correct yourself when you made a mistake. I think that is an excellent example for some other, to remain nameless, posters.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Don't be daft, of course there are problems. I lived there for quite a while (over 30 years) and don't have the issues with it you do. California has more than its share of homeless, probably going back to when Reagan was governor as a root (dismantling mental health facilities) plus the weather that makes it a lot easier than many other places. I went to Philly once, it wasn't all that pretty either. Nature of the human race and big cities to an extent, not helped by white flight to the burbs....
my comment was 'tongue and cheek' and to Philly's problems, they are as bad as ever no argument. As for our homeless / encampment issues , we've had them ragging big time since COVID but when I see some of the pierced, body tattooed misfits crying out for what they believe they are owed, being interviewed on the 6 o'clock news, my sympathy ends right there ..........

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

It's impressive that you keep track of all the stuff surrounding Trump as well as correct yourself when you made a mistake. I think that is an excellent example for some other, to remain nameless, posters.
Thanks. I realized that is not a small mistake on my part but rather large in this case even though the same person, Trump was talked about. :)
It is impossible for me to keep track of all Trump's behavior but that part is important as it was under oath responding to Mueller. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis