Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I think I have learned my lesson on which models to buy. The RX-A1080 is great enough for most systems. But knowing myself, if I had gotten even the 2080, I would have been asking myself why I didn’t get the 3080 for just a little more. :D
Yeah the a3080 surly has the biggest power supply that alone is reason enough. With Yamaha AVR's can't say how Yamahas power supply in their a3080 stacks up against Denon or Marantz or Onkyo or Pioneer. Maybe PENG could Shed some light on that. I wouldn't say it's less than or better than any other AVR's on the Market now. ;) May be better than Denon or Marantz are all the others:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the a3080 surly has the biggest power supply that alone is reason enough. With Yamaha AVR's can't say how Yamahas power supply in their a3080 stacks up against Denon or Marantz or Onkyo or Pioneer. Maybe PENG could Shed some light on that. I wouldn't say it's less than or better than any other AVR's on the Market now. ;) May be better than Denon or Marantz are all the others:D
Well, the 2080 can output 260W x 2Ch into 4 ohms and the 3080 can output 294 x 2Ch into 4 ohms.

The Denon X8500 can also output 256W x 2Ch into 4 ohms.

Last edited:
T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
Hi @Gmoney :)

So right now I am just trying to decide if I want to go separates or just use an AVR. I have to do something LOL. I have all this nice gear siting idle until I can make a decision. I don't make decisions quickly when it comes to this and for me the hunt is nearly as fun as the aquistion (so to speak) While I also absolutely love my 805's I bought them at a time when I didn't know a lot about speakers. To my ear when we bought them in 1999, they sounded fantastic. Now twenty years wiser I realize that there are so many speaker options out there I shouldn't limit myself to just one brand. So Yamaha has served me well, but I have a Denon 3805 downstairs that is a little bit newer but still 15+ years old and cranking. I want to get the full theater effect with more immersive audio but I am willing to take my time to get there. I really appreciate listening to input from others like yourself and I also look forward to being an active contributor within the forum. Gene and his folks have done such an amazing job with Audioholics, it makes me love the hobby that much more.

-Dan

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am just trying to decide if I want to go separates or just use an AVR
Regarding separates vs AVR, I think it is a cost factor for most people. If cost were not a factor, I think every audio enthusiast would choose separates.

I started out with separates almost 30 years ago, and I still use separates for my MAIN room, but I use AVR for other rooms.

R

RickDTS

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I hope you can give me some advice here.

I currently have an Arcam AV600.
I'm going to replace this one. Arcam and NAD are canceled due to software problems. Anthem still works with models from 6 years ago. Since Yamaha is a stable entity, I am considering switching to this.

High End surround is the most important thing for me. I've had the time of listening to stereo.

What would be a better choice:
A 3080 with a subwoofer
or a CX-A5200 and an MX-A5200.

Is there a real difference in surround between the 3080 and the CX-A5200.

English is not my native language, so there may be some language errors ....

Hope you can help me further.

Rick

E

EBN

Audioholic
2000 and 3000 serie measure identically almost power output wise. Well i`m using A2080 and A3070 cause the A3080 is current limiting clearly giving less power than A1080. Something we have seen in past with SoundAndVision bench tests. Protection circuit activating which shouldn´t kick easily in real life. In listening tests the 2000 and 3000 range got better points than 1080 which is no suprise. I have asked Amir that he would get the higher range Yamahas for test, but no luck yet. :(

2ch stereo (4ohm:
A1080 - 214w
A2080 - 251w
A3070 - 252w

5.1 (6ohm):
A1080 - 119w
A2080 - 141w
A3070 - 140w

7.1 (6ohm):
A1080 - 96w
A2080 - 114w
A3070 - 116w

7.1 (4ohm):
A1080 - 105w
A2080 - 125w
A3070 - 129w

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Hello everyone,

I'm going to replace this one. Arcam and NAD are canceled due to software problems. Anthem still works with models from 6 years ago. Since Yamaha is a stable entity, I am considering switching to this.

High End surround is the most important thing for me. I've had the time of listening to stereo.

A 3080 with a subwoofer

Rick

Having just bought a RX-A3080 a few weeks ago myself, I would say if your budget allows only the option of a 5200 pair or a 3080 and nice sub, I'd suggest the 3080 and the sub. Everything I've read says the 3080 is close but without the extra 2 channels of power. A little less flexible but not by much. And I can add the extra two channels of power at any time via the outputs on the AVR.

In my case, I'd really rather of had the 5200 set, but couldn't justify the budget for them and the other items I've recently upgraded. Good luck which ever way you go.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello everyone,

A 3080 with a subwoofer

Rick
I have the CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 for my main HT room and the RX-A3080 for my Family room. Both sound awesome, so either way is great.

I’ve always owned separates since I got into this hobby 30 years ago, so I gotta have my separates. :D

It simply comes down to money/cost. If money is no object, then get separates. Otherwise, the RX-A3080 is awesome.

And regarding ACD - All Channels Driven, this is ONLY relevant in the lab for testing amps and does not apply to REAL LIFE situation since movie soundtracks do NOT require all channels to output ACD.

Otherwise, there would be about a billion cases of AVR shutting down in protection mode and probably a billion cases of dead speakers and lawsuits.

Yamaha’s #1 goal is Sound quality, but I think they value Reliability just as much. Yamaha AVR, Pre-pro, and Amps operate at a much COOLER temperature than anything I’ve ever owned.

R

RickDTS

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses.

If I understand correctly, there is no difference between the 3080 and the CX-A5200 in terms of sound quality in surround. Cost does play a role.
If I do the CX and the MX5200, there is no good subwoofer for the time being.

However, with the CX and MX I am more flexible.

That the 3080 etc will all be replaced this year or early next year is certain.

Would the CX-A5200 also be replaced?

I already had the Anthem 1120 at home last week. This one got really, really hot. Good to read that the Yamaha's are not.

T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
I have the CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 for my main HT room and the RX-A3080 for my Family room. Both sound awesome, so either way is great.

I’ve always owned separates since I got into this hobby 30 years ago, so I gotta have my separates. :D

It simply comes down to money/cost. If money is no object, then get separates. Otherwise, the RX-A3080 is awesome.

And regarding ACD - All Channels Driven, this is ONLY relevant in the lab for testing amps and does not apply to REAL LIFE situation since movie soundtracks do NOT require all channels to output ACD.

Otherwise, there would be about a billion cases of AVR shutting down in protection mode and probably a billion cases of dead speakers and lawsuits.

Yamaha’s #1 goal is Sound quality, but I think they value Reliability just as much. Yamaha AVR, Pre-pro, and Amps operate at a much COOLER temperature than anything I’ve ever owned.
Regarding separates vs AVR, I think it is a cost factor for most people. If cost were not a factor, I think every audio enthusiast would choose separates.

I started out with separates almost 30 years ago, and I still use separates for my MAIN room, but I use AVR for other rooms.
Fortunately, I am in a fortunate position where that is not as big of an obstacle, I really like the idea of separates, and reading your commentary just helps reinforce that idea :) All I see that's majorly different between the MX-5000 and MX-5200 is BTL; if that is not that big of a deal to me, is saving $800 for the 5000 over the 5200 a reasonable choice?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Fortunately, I am in a fortunate position where that is not as big of an obstacle, I really like the idea of separates, and reading your commentary just helps reinforce that idea :) All I see that's majorly different between the MX-5000 and MX-5200 is BTL; if that is not that big of a deal to me, is saving $800 for the 5000 over the 5200 a reasonable choice?
The major difference between the 5000 vs 5200 is that the 5200’s Front L/R can be bridged to output 450 Watts x 2Ch when using 4 ohms speakers. If you don’t need the extra power, then I would save the $800.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the responses.

If I understand correctly, there is no difference between the 3080 and the CX-A5200 in terms of sound quality in surround. Cost does play a role.
If I do the CX and the MX5200, there is no good subwoofer for the time being.

However, with the CX and MX I am more flexible.

That the 3080 etc will all be replaced this year or early next year is certain.

Would the CX-A5200 also be replaced?

I already had the Anthem 1120 at home last week. This one got really, really hot. Good to read that the Yamaha's are not.
Yeah I think they have equal sound quality.

Nobody knows when the next CX-5300 will be released.

The RX-A3080 will be replaced by the RX-8 probably this Nov.

Yamaha is supposed to be #1 in reliability and is the lowest-temperature -operating units.

R

RickDTS

Audiophyte
If there is a slight difference in surround sound between these two, then the RX-8 may be more interesting as I can buy a good subwoofer with it. Think the improvement and overall experience more beautiful.
This also relieves the receiver.

Are there any indications that besides HDMI 2.1 and 8k implementation, other improvements are being applied in the new series?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If there is a slight difference in surround sound between these two, then the RX-8 may be more interesting as I can buy a good subwoofer with it. Think the improvement and overall experience more beautiful.
This also relieves the receiver.

Are there any indications that besides HDMI 2.1 and 8k implementation, other improvements are being applied in the new series?
Any real-life improvements from any brand will be related to FEATURES only (HDMI 2.1 for 8K). Everything else is gimmick. :D

A Subwoofer would usually provide the best real-life improvement.

Like I always say, if money/cost/budget is a factor, get the AVR.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
There seems to be a gross misunderstanding of the pricing structure from companies on this matter by some forum members. Companies sell wayyyy fewer pre pros /multichannel amplifier separates than the corresponding receiver flagship. That is exactly the reason why there is such a price difference between the RX-A3080 receiver (2000 bucks) and the equivalent CX-A5200/Class AB MX-A5200 separates combo (2700+2900 =5600 bucks). There are other factors too. But, we'll leave it there for now.

The RX-A3080 is truly a badassmthrtrucking receiver and you don't need anything else. But, since you seem to like the idea of separates, I could try to offer you a more intelligent solution. You got some extra change and you wanna spend it? and you want to make your RX-A3080 even better? Okay, here you go. Buy this CLASS A behemoth badassmthrtrucking multichannel amp and plug it into the LCR preouts of the RX-A3080 receiver. It will add a crazy li'l sparkle and immediacy for you (something a MX-A5200 or monoprice or any common class AB amp out there simply can't). It's actually about 120W/channel into 8 ohms and 25ish watts in class A. But, for the amount of heat this thing puts out in the summer, be prepared to turn up the airconditioning or strip down to your underwear. In the winter, it would be perfect!
https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/jungson-audio-amplifier-cd-player-c-27/jungson-av-1000a-class-a-home-theater-8-ch-av-amplifier-p-1031?zenid=76fc2907c3697b7a9f3805af0f2411b7
You could also alternatively get 3 Class A monoblocks from these guys for the LCRs or whatever (many ways to do it these days). Keep in mind, these are the guys who actually make the amplifiers for the "highend" gluttonous snake oil pricing thieves here in the US or in Europe. When class A amps like these from China reach Western shores, a different name is given and the price tag becomes 30k or 50k such that a lazy low aptitude dumaz out here can pocket 27k for doing absolutely nothing.

Otherwise, you will not notice any difference in sound between the RX-A3080 and the CX 5200/MX A5200 combo.

P.S
The above mentioned class A amplifier recommendation is only if you're a music aficionado (primarily) and like multichannel music etc... or you wanna run a 2 channel/multi channel hybrid music system, etc and also use it a bit for movies. But, if you're just a regular movie guy (no taste in music) and just wanna hear a fckin dinosaur walking or....you wanna hear a machine gun shooting or if you wanna hear Tom Hanks squealin or something like that....you don't need that extra Class A crystallization. Unrefined movie guys with no taste in music don't deserve that level of refinement!!! Unrefined movie guys with no taste in music don't even deserve a Yamaha RX-A3080 in the first place.....Pyle should do the trick for these movie JimBobs .....bwaaahahahaha

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been streaming music from my Windows 10 PC's Music Library to MusicCast in my Yamaha RX-A3080 (Family Room, Back Porch) and CX-A5100 (HT Room) all weekend. It is working great. Very simple to use. Very consistent. I love it.

The music files I am using are WAVE and ALAC (Apple Lossless).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Having just bought a RX-A3080 a few weeks ago...
You're one of the "lucky'" few. I've had several clients who really wanted to buy the RX-A3080 NOW, but I can't even order them since they are on BACKORDER.

I just spoke to my rep again this morning. Nothing!

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
You're one of the "lucky'" few. I've had several clients who really wanted to buy the RX-A3080 NOW, but I can't even order them since they are on BACKORDER.

I just spoke to my rep again this morning. Nothing!
I understand this doesn't help you get one to sell them in this case, but BB is still showing stock available right now for anyone else looking that can't find one. (I have no connection there other than that's where I got mine).

T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
There seems to be a gross misunderstanding of the pricing structure from companies on this matter by some forum members. Companies sell wayyyy fewer pre pros /multichannel amplifier separates than the corresponding receiver flagship. That is exactly the reason why there is such a price difference between the RX-A3080 receiver (2000 bucks) and the equivalent CX-A5200/Class AB MX-A5200 separates combo (2700+2900 =5600 bucks). There are other factors too. But, we'll leave it there for now.

The RX-A3080 is truly a badassmthrtrucking receiver and you don't need anything else. But, since you seem to like the idea of separates, I could try to offer you a more intelligent solution. You got some extra change and you wanna spend it? and you want to make your RX-A3080 even better? Okay, here you go. Buy this CLASS A behemoth badassmthrtrucking multichannel amp and plug it into the LCR preouts of the RX-A3080 receiver. It will add a crazy li'l sparkle and immediacy for you (something a MX-A5200 or monoprice or any common class AB amp out there simply can't). It's actually about 120W/channel into 8 ohms and 25ish watts in class A. But, for the amount of heat this thing puts out in the summer, be prepared to turn up the airconditioning or strip down to your underwear. In the winter, it would be perfect!
https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/jungson-audio-amplifier-cd-player-c-27/jungson-av-1000a-class-a-home-theater-8-ch-av-amplifier-p-1031?zenid=76fc2907c3697b7a9f3805af0f2411b7
You could also alternatively get 3 Class A monoblocks from these guys for the LCRs or whatever (many ways to do it these days). Keep in mind, these are the guys who actually make the amplifiers for the "highend" gluttonous snake oil pricing thieves here in the US or in Europe. When class A amps like these from China reach Western shores, a different name is given and the price tag becomes 30k or 50k such that a lazy low aptitude dumaz out here can pocket 27k for doing absolutely nothing.

Otherwise, you will not notice any difference in sound between the RX-A3080 and the CX 5200/MX A5200 combo.

P.S
The above mentioned class A amplifier recommendation is only if you're a music aficionado (primarily) and like multichannel music etc... or you wanna run a 2 channel/multi channel hybrid music system, etc and also use it a bit for movies. But, if you're just a regular movie guy (no taste in music) and just wanna hear a fckin dinosaur walking or....you wanna hear a machine gun shooting or if you wanna hear Tom Hanks squealin or something like that....you don't need that extra Class A crystallization. Unrefined movie guys with no taste in music don't deserve that level of refinement!!! Unrefined movie guys with no taste in music don't even deserve a Yamaha RX-A3080 in the first place.....Pyle should do the trick for these movie JimBobs .....bwaaahahahaha
Hey @pcosmic:

Thanks for the reply :) I haven't made up my mind yet, and I make very careful considerations before diving in head first.
I will definitely keep these items in mind.

-Dan

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Sales of separate audio components in North America are 12% of the market vs 88% for receivers...
In other global markets such as Western Europe, South East Asia the sales of separate audio components are significantly higher than receivers...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis