Dangerously close to pulling a trigger on SVS SB pro 2000

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Now I'm getting dangerously close to buying a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro to replace DefTech ProSub 800. :eek:

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for finding that for me, but I don't understand most of it. Now it's some new abbreviations. Do I need my jumper between 4Vrms and 2Vrms and what is Vrms?

Don't answer that, I'm just making a point. I need it for, more or less, easy task of neither my mains nor my sub getting a full range signal.

Do you, maybe, know if the cheaper one can do that and not (if set properly) deteriorate the signal in any way?

*In my listening I'm FLAC oriented.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for finding that for me, but I don't understand most of it. Now it's some new abbreviations. Do I need my jumper between 4Vrms and 2Vrms and what is Vrms?

Don't answer that, I'm just making a point. I need it for, more or less, easy task of neither my mains nor my sub getting a full range signal.

Do you, maybe, know if the cheaper one can do that and not (if set properly) deteriorate the signal in any way?

*In my listening I'm FLAC oriented.
For example if your 2x4 is an older model limited to .9V output, you may have trouble depending on the amp you're using for the sub (many plate amps would be fine, pro amps not so much), so having 2V output might be the way to go. It also can handle longer delay periods to accommodate sub positioning over greater distances. They're not without consequence on the signal, altho the impact is quite minimal. I have the oldest unbalanced and balanced models, but if I were to buy a new one it would be the HD.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
@everettT
One of these little boxes has the letters HD in its name and this raises the price more than 100%. How necessary would you say HD is?
Different processor no and can be upgraded to dirac live. For just straight EQ, either is fine for what you would be doing

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
It seems SVS no longer offers a discount when you buy two subs, oh well.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
We're getting a bit gutted on the SVS prices, this is the best I dug out in whole of EU:

SVS SB 3000 Piano 1295€ / 1533$
SVS SB 3000 Ash 1210€ / 1432$

*However, the piano black version is 360$ more expensive if I buy from the local dealer. The shop that's making the offer for 1533$ is in Germany, but would include delivery cost in the price, so 1533$ to get it in my hands.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
There is always minidsp... Another rabbit hole lol.
I know I'm stubborn up to a degree, but here I am taking your advice. In neighboring Austria a guy is selling miniDSP together with the UMIK-1 for something like 115$.

Once again I’m rerouting. Since it worked the first time, I’m sure it’ll work again (long time ago I thought of getting an amp first and then look for the speakers, AH said NO!!!! J and I’m happy I took the advice).

I’ll postpone the sub and try to get a good price on DSP. I’ll try to learn how to use it and set it up and when I get the results I’m happy with, I’ll see if I can decide on the size of the sub I need.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

End of August Magoo pulled the trigger and bought direct from SVS, a pair of SB 2000 Pro! Still fiddling with them, having fun with the cell phone app. Next door neighbor already complaining about the "noise", but in all fairness I'm not sure if it's the SVS or another new sub I bought for my computer; Cambridge Audio Minx X301 300 watts, connected to the KEF Eggs. I guess bass waves can penetrate wood and stucco, whatever 1980's apartments were built of. It's not like these walls are paper thin. When I moved into this complex in 1985 the agent said the walls are "double hung" or something, like I can't drill a hole in the wall and see the next door apartment.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Wow! That must be nice! I'm a little jealous. ;) Just like that to pull a trigger on a PAIR no less...

Enjoy them!

Europe has a completely different way of building buildings. It's brick and mortar all the way. Different type of bricks, different type of mortar, sometimes concrete. My high-rise is atomic shelter grade concrete to withstand quakes up to 7.5 Richter.
zgrada.jpg

What I found very strange is that even when I play music in my living room with ear bleeding levels, you can barely hear it in the kitchen. I thought hard walls would resonate more and soft would damp.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Wow! That must be nice! I'm a little jealous. ;) Just like that to pull a trigger on a PAIR no less...

Enjoy them!

Europe has a completely different way of building buildings. It's brick and mortar all the way. Different type of bricks, different type of mortar, sometimes concrete. My high-rise is atomic shelter grade concrete to withstand quakes up to 7.5 Richter.
View attachment 40976

What I found very strange is that even when I play music in my living room with ear bleeding levels, you can barely hear it in the kitchen. I thought hard walls would resonate more and soft would damp.
I'm in 'earthquake country' Southern California. Most apartments up to 4 or 5 floors are wood frame, the high rises are steel. Tallest buildings around here are about 20 to 25 floors. Downtown Los Angeles, like New York City, tall buildings. My 505 sq. ft. studio is above 7 garages, I can hear it when those garage doors operate. Wish the complex owners had not installed doors ! It's a 2 floors complex.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting.

Most apartments up to 4 or 5 floors are wood frame
Yes, we know about this. Here in EU we often wonder how you still build houses that termites can eat, hurricanes can blow away and you need to chop down a smaller forest to build.

Mediterranean, where I grew up was historically mainly stone building:
1603699164528.png

This stuck later on as a reliable way of building durable homes:
1603699412080.png

And it ended up presenting status and money. Today, it's among the most expensive ways to build with all the artificial materials around. This one might as well be woth its weight in gold (being from hard white stone right next to the sea):
1603699610911.png

Less moeny? You still build hard walls, brick and mortar. Closer to coast you find more of this air enclosing brick:
1603699770194.png

Further inalnd and it's this old full brick similar like England's brick-work:
1603699990951.png

There use to be some wooden building usually asociated with poverty (fast, easy building that wouldn't stand for long):
1603700156214.png

And, of course, some combining:
1603700231025.png

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I can hear it when those garage doors operate.
I can't imagine this. I'd go crazy. If I'm in the kitchen, I can't hear someone yelling in the living room. Hopefully my lady won't hurt herself and call for help. :D:eek:

As far as my high-rise goes, I broke a titanium drill bit just hanging the shower curtain (and I do know how to drill and it was a masonery drill bit, I guess I needed diamond), but I appreciate that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis