Dangerously close to pulling a trigger on SVS SB pro 2000

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you haven't already, I wouldn't want to bother you. I thought maybe you know and that's why you recommend miniDSP.

My goal is to have a really slender system; amp, fronts, sub (nothing else), but to have it nicely integrated. TT is there as a souvenir, and digital files are on my PC. I'm trying to avoid external phono-stages, headphone stages, pre-amps, DSPs and the rest.

That's why I was looking for a sub that has management built in.
I have a 2x4 and no app, just pc programmed. Some of the others you can make changes via the network and a pc. When I get back to the house I'll do some digging,as I nothing better to do lol.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I have a 2x4 and no app
??

1596560412774.png

Mind you, I'm close to using this on my head rather than using it to fix my equipment.;)

This guy explaind it nicely, BUT STILL this is the other way around feeding the mains and sub at the same time. I'm wondering (FINGERS CROSSED) would it be at all possible to make mains late behind the sub and then add delay??

"Here's the clincher: since the sub is always at least 8, 9, 10, 11 msec late, the phase relationship CAN NEVER be correct. It can be corrected in one of 2 ways only: you can use some electronic means to ADD the same amount of delay to the top (mains); or you can move the sub(s) closer to your body the correct number of msec. You CANNOT match the phase of the sub to the mains because you CANNOT use the phase control on any sub to remove delay; you can ONLY ADD DELAY. "

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Ah!!!!! See...

"There ARE, however, subs with real crossovers in them. For example the JL Audio E subs HAVE a real crossover in them, with HF OUTPUTS which then go back to your power amp. The Fathom series does not; it has a low pass filter. "

Underline is mine. So perhaps I can set it up this way.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see any mention in the SB2000Pro manual about a high pass filter.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ah!!!!! See...

"There ARE, however, subs with real crossovers in them. For example the JL Audio E subs HAVE a real crossover in them, with HF OUTPUTS which then go back to your power amp. The Fathom series does not; it has a low pass filter. "

Underline is mine. So perhaps I can set it up this way.
Yes you can get a wifi adapter for the minidsp

Or a really long cat5 cable ... I doubt svs doesn't have some kind of protection, whether a HP or some other filter

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I prefer this flavor myself
Well that's also low cut.

All joking aside, I guess you wouldn't agree with this:

"One brief word about all the terms being bandied about: yes, a LOW CUT and a HIGH PASS are the same thing. It is MOST USEFUL to use the terminology so it fits the use of the situation. In one example, we have a filter in a recording studio Microphone Preamp. Of course WE KNOW THE AUDIO GOES "THROUGH" the thing; what we want to know is what we are doing - what "change" we are going to hear when we click the switch! We are CUTTING THE LOWS. In this instance the correct terminology is LOW CUT FILTER. In the case of "filtering" a signal that's going to our mains, yes, of course we are "letting the highs through" and we are also "blocking the lows". So the typical useage for this would be "HIGH PASS" filter. Technically and mathematically, either is correct. But it's always a good idea to use the term which will yield the least confusion, especially where people are concerned who don't necessarily have audio as a first language. Manufacturers, pay attention... "

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

"One brief word about all the terms being bandied about: yes, a LOW CUT and a HIGH PASS are the same thing. It is MOST USEFUL to use the terminology so it fits the use of the situation. In one example, we have a filter in a recording studio Microphone Preamp. Of course WE KNOW THE AUDIO GOES "THROUGH" the thing; what we want to know is what we are doing - what "change" we are going to hear when we click the switch! We are CUTTING THE LOWS. In this instance the correct terminology is LOW CUT FILTER. In the case of "filtering" a signal that's going to our mains, yes, of course we are "letting the highs through" and we are also "blocking the lows". So the typical useage for this would be "HIGH PASS" filter. Technically and mathematically, either is correct. But it's always a good idea to use the term which will yield the least confusion, especially where people are concerned who don't necessarily have audio as a first language. Manufacturers, pay attention... "
I just use low pass and high pass myself, or together as crossover. I was just going by your photo.... :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I just use low pass and high pass myself, or together as crossover. I was just going by your photo.... :)
Point being that the guy I'm reading says that the thing you say you don't see in SVS manuals and the thing you say every sub has, are the same thing. I'm not saying he is right, I don't know who is right.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Point being that the guy I'm reading says that the thing you say you don't see in SVS manuals and the thing you say every sub has, are the same thing. I'm not saying he is right, I don't know who is right.
I just prefer the traditional terminology, or at least the terminology used primarily in my reading. I actually didn't even notice the low cut (vs high pass) contradiction when you posted your boy toy picture....but I find it confusing to intermix the low pass/high pass with low cut/high cut. What guy are you reading anyways? Most sub amps have a low pass filter built in, some also have a high pass for your speakers....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

There is more than one way to skin a cat... FWIW.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I just prefer the traditional terminology, or at least the terminology used primarily in my reading. I actually didn't even notice the low cut (vs high pass) contradiction when you posted your boy toy picture....but I find it confusing to intermix the low pass/high pass with low cut/high cut. What guy are you reading anyways? Most sub amps have a low pass filter built in, some also have a high pass for your speakers....
Barry Ober

There is more than one way to skin a cat... FWIW.
But, but, but... Is my way somewhere out there?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Good ol' Barry. Excess capitalization and all. You could always get his new $3000 crossover from JL. :)
There's no risk of me buying anything from him, question still remains, is he wrong or not?

In all fairness, I did ask here first and with a good reason bc I'm really buying this, but I have to know first how to do it.

I remember an answer from one member here on AH, I think his nick was Steve81 or Steven81 (I really liked that guy) he answered directly to me saying it could be done via pre-out, but back then I knew I still don't have the money to buy so I didn't bother him with all the details.

So far, I understand that you can use pre-out/mains-in to add a DSP, but it just seemed to me that if a SVS sub has a DSP built in, I could also use this way to add the very sub. Take the signal from the integrated to the sub, manage bass and return the rest to be amplified in the amp section via mains-in and then to main speakers.

It was just my assumption that this would have to imply some slight delay. Now, if it's true that you can only add delay and not subtract delay, it seems possible.

Anyway I wrote to SVS. I'll see what they have to say.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There's no risk of me buying anything from him, question still remains, is he wrong or not?

In all fairness, I did ask here first and with a good reason bc I'm really buying this, but I have to know first how to do it.

I remember an answer from one member here on AH, I think his nick was Steve81 or Steven81 (i really liked that guy) he answered directly to saying it could be done via pre-out, but back then I knew I still don't have the money to buy so I didn't bother him with all the details.

So far, I understand that you can use pre-out/mains-in to add a DSP, but it just seemed to me that if a SVS sub has a DSP built in, I could also use this way to add the very sub. Take the signal from the integrated to the sub, manage bass and return the rest to be amplified in the amp section via mains-in and then to main speakers.

It was just my assumption that this would have to imply some slight delay. Now, if it's true that you can only add delay and not subtract delay, it seems possible.

The SVS dsp won't do anything for your mains. With the SVS DSP you should be able to do all you need just for the sub. Which integrated or avr do you have again?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I remember an answer from one member here on AH, I think his nick was Steve81 or Steven81 (i really liked that guy) he answered directly to saying it could be done via pre-out, but back then I knew I still don't have the money to buy so I didn't bother him with all the details.

His terminology is just different. He's talking about low cut (high pass) and high cut (low pass). Some subs have the ability to apply a high pass to the speakers, this SVS doesn't so you'd just be passing out of the sub via the rca output a full range signal. The only delay function you'll have is the phase control on the sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis