The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
hello,
i have a yamaha cx-a5100 surround preamplifier. how can i activate center spread ?
best regards,
frans callebaut
You have to be on Dolby Surround with memory guard off. Then you go to menu then dsp and toggle up to Dolby Surround and click it. There you can turn center spread on and off.

You could leave center spread on for DSU and use DSU for music upmixing and NeuralX for TV upmixing if you want memory guard enabled. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In my 5.1 setup I’m very pleased with DSU both for music and movies. I just toggle center spread on and off and keep memory guard off. I don’t currently use NeuralX much. I’m not sure once I add the ceiling speakers if I’ll want music in the ceiling or not. I could always choose Neo6 music mode to keep just the base layer involved with music.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In my 5.1 setup I’m very pleased with DSU both for music and movies. I just toggle center spread on and off and keep memory guard off. I don’t currently use NeuralX much. I’m not sure once I add the ceiling speakers if I’ll want music in the ceiling or not. I could always choose Neo6 music mode to keep just the base layer involved with music.
My brother. Make it happen.....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Last night I saw a little it of BvS Ultimate Edition in 4K/Atmos.

This movie was shot using the 3.4K Arri Alexa XT digital camera and mastered in 4K digital, so PQ is great.

What I didn't realize was how active the Atmos ceiling speakers are!

I don't recall this much Atmos sound effects from overhead when I watched it back then. But maybe the setting I had was different.

But the Overhead Atmos sound was active last night. For example, when young Bruce was down in the cave (in his dream?) and the bats spiraled up, I could hear all the bats flying UP to the ceiling. Very cool.

Edit: Now I'm about 1.5 Hours into the movie. Most definitely a lively Atmos soundtrack. In terms of "comic book superhero movie", this might be the most active Atmos soundtrack I've seen. I will have to add Batman v Superman into my recommended Atmos list. :D

Edit: Saw another 30 minutes. :D There are scenes when Superman flies up the air (Batman encounters Superman, Superman & Louis Lane on balcony). It causes a sonic boom which is heard from the ceiling speakers. So it's kind of like hearing Superman fly up to the ceiling.

1. Pacific Rim 2013 Atmos
2. Blade Runner 2049 2017 4K Atmos (among the best)
3. Cloverfield Paradox 2018 Atmos
4. The Equalizer 2014 Atmos
5. The Great Wall 2016 Atmos
6. Hunter Killer 2018 Atmos
7. The Matrix Trilogy 1999, 2003, 2003 4K Atmos
8. Oblivion 2013 Atmos
9. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016 Atmos
10. Salt 2010 Atmos
11. Sully 2016 Atmos
12. Twilight 2008 Atmos
13. Underworld 2003 Atmos
14. Underworld Blood Wars 2016 Atmos
15. Atomic Blonde 2017 DTSX
16. Harry Potter franchise (8 movies) 2001-2011 4K DTSX
17. Black Hawk Down 2001 4K Atmos
18. 13 Hours 2016 4K Atmos
19. Gravity 2013 Atmos
20. Ready Player One 2018 Atmos
21. Robin Hood 2018 Atmos
22. Jurassic World 4K DTSX
23. Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom 4K DTSX
24. Terminator Genisys 4K Atmos
25. Alita Battle Angel 2019 4K Atmos
26. Pet Sematary (2019) 4K Atmos
27. Blade Runner 1982 4K Atmos (among the best)
28. Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019 4K Atmos (among the best)
29. Jupiter Ascending 4K Atmos
30. X-Men Dark Phoenix 2019 4K Atmos
31. Lucy 2014
32. Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition 4K Atmos

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm cross-posting my request for advice here since I'm hoping people in this thread have some experience they could lend:

Thanks!
I have not seen @VonMagnum around here for long time.

My HT room is 22FT x 26FT x 14FT ceiling and I’m doing 5.10.4 using five RBH SX-T2/R towers as the 5 bed-speakers.

So I bet 16-18 speakers in a 11.5x18x9 ceiling room would fill it up nicely.

Hopefully Von or @TheoN will offer their opinions.

I have 2 quick comments.

1. All 3 formats are object-based, so although they offer recommendations on placements, as long as the speakers are within the “vicinity”, it should be great. And since your room isn’t that big, all the speakers will be within vicinity.

2. IMO the salient thing about speaker placement for Atmos and DTSX is that you can easily HEAR them. Take commercial Atmos theaters for example. They can put 40 speakers in the ceiling, but it’s worthless if nobody can actually HEAR them over the bed speakers and other surround speakers. For your room, as long as the speaker level is enough, you will be able to easily hear all your speakers no matter the exact locations.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
My room is 13ft w x 19ft l. The side surrounds are mounted 2ft above ear level when seated and the rear surrounds are also wall mounted 2ft above ear level when seated. Had to mount them on wall because of the kids and when people are over I didn’t want them being bumped into or in the way. Question is, would I be wasting my time putting in 4 ceiling speakers for atmos with the 8ft ceiling?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My room is 13ft w x 19ft l. The side surrounds are mounted 2ft above ear level when seated and the rear surrounds are also wall mounted 2ft above ear level when seated. Had to mount them on wall because of the kids and when people are over I didn’t want them being bumped into or in the way. Question is, would I be wasting my time putting in 4 ceiling speakers for atmos with the 8ft ceiling?
I think Atmos 5.1.2 is better than 7.1 for any ceiling height - 8FT, 9FT, 10FT, 12FT, etc.

So I would definitely go for Atmos Ceiling speakers in your room.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I think Atmos 5.1.2 is better than 7.1 for any ceiling height - 8FT, 9FT, 10FT, 12FT, etc.

So I would definitely go for Atmos Ceiling speakers in your room.
Even with the surrounds mounted like they are it’s still ok to have ceiling speakers? I thought the surrounds needed to be at ear level so the atmos speakers effects would really stand out? So the 4 in ceiling is not a good idea?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Even with the surrounds mounted like they are it’s still ok to have ceiling speakers? I thought the surrounds needed to be at ear level so the atmos speakers effects would really stand out? So the 4 in ceiling is not a good idea?
Hey man! Been awhile. Your pretty much right in that if you’re sticking to the guide to a “T”. But, imo some Atmos is better than no Atmos. Iirc your ceiling is kinda low too, but personally I’d do it. Also, the guides are just that. Guides. Obviously you can’t just go willy nilly but Atmos is pretty forgiving. So a little fudging here and there will be fine. More separation would be closer to ideal, but my vote is go for it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Might not be "ideal", but it's still better than nothing. I would do it for sure. I enjoy my ceiling speakers a lot. :D

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Hey man! Been awhile. Your pretty much right in that if you’re sticking to the guide to a “T”. But, imo some Atmos is better than no Atmos. Iirc your ceiling is kinda low too, but personally I’d do it. Also, the guides are just that. Guides. Obviously you can’t just go willy nilly but Atmos is pretty forgiving. So a little fudging here and there will be fine. More separation would be closer to ideal, but my vote is go for it.
Hey what’s up man! I’m running 7.3 right now but I just got a x4500 and would be able to expand to 7.3.4, I haven’t even unboxed it yet but my plan is to tomorrow. I just wasn’t sure because my ceiling is kinda low and the surrounds are wall mounted

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Now I’m sure you guys have answered this before but I have two rows of seats. Do the ceiling speakers need to be just behind each row or right above each row?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Looking at my ceiling the way the lights are in it, I can put two speakers directly above the second row seats and two speakers directly above the first row seats, obviously spread out. I’m not sure how to put pics on here. I’d have to text William the pics and maybe he could put them on here if he knows how which I’m sure he does.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now I’m sure you guys have answered this before but I have two rows of seats. Do the ceiling speakers need to be just behind each row or right above each row?
Personally, I would install the ceiling speakers Right Above each row - the CLOSER to you, the better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Britney Spears, Hey RBH Discontinued their Impression line? I was on their site this weekend and saw All are discontinued. Also did you see that review where Yamahas a1080 didn't test out to well?
Dang, Britney Spears put on some WEIGHT. :D

RBH - they are in the process of replacing the current lines of speakers. So yeah, Impression and even the SV speakers are being replaced. Only the SVT will continue - SV831, SV821, SV1212, SI-831. And also the In-walls/In-ceilings will continue.

Yamaha RX-A1080 on ASR website - At 2 Volts, the A1080 has a THD+N of 0.005805%. I don't think Amir claims to be able to hear that. However, a lot of people might take it the wrong way and think that THD of 0.0058% is bad. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis