Dangerously close to pulling a trigger on SVS SB pro 2000

C

Chocolatey MidsFan

Enthusiast
Would using those inline hi-pass filters help ? They might even cause some delay for your mains? Just shooting in the dark trying to help. Harrison Labs F MODS I believe they are called.
Might be of more help if I knew how to post links.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Would using those inline hi-pass filters help ? They might even cause some delay for your mains? Just shooting in the dark trying to help. Harrison Labs F MODS I believe they are called.
Don't pull him outta the rabbit hole. We just threw him down :p

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The SVS dsp won't do anything for your mains. With the SVS DSP you should be able to do all you need just for the sub. Which integrated or avr do you have again?
yamaha-ax-890-slika-132031226.jpg
It's this one, but I already know nothing can be done on the side of the amp. I think I'll just have to, sadly, give up on SVS and look for a sub that will do a high pass on its outs.

1596619127640.png

Attachments

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you. You won't get these in my parts. And across the pond?? Nah, shipping kills every idea.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
What model SVS sub is that from, tho? The SVS SB2000 Pro uses a different amp....
Yes. It's 12b something... (I think that one has the manual, analogue knobs for settings, no DSP, it's never all-in-one really).

BTW, I sold NAD THX 2700 and NAD 106 preamp, so the budget is growing!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder how many current SVS offerings do have such amp feature as you're looking for.....as many use avrs now, this is a feature that can easily have gone by the wayside....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I should point out that many pro-audio subs have a cross-over built-in and are readily available on your side of the pond.
The problem is that most of them are designed for SPL and sacrifice F3 to get there. However, if you have a pro audio store that you can call or visit, you might ask about what they sell that would make a good home audio subwoofer.
I have a helpful contact at Sweetwater (a mega pro-audio mail order center in the US). I'll try to remember to call him tomorrow and see what ideas he might have.
What kind of budget in USD do you have? I will shoot for your budget plus one lower (due to VAT) in price if I can.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I should point out that many pro-audio subs have a cross-over built-in and are readily available on your side of the pond.
The problem is that most of them are designed for SPL and sacrifice F3 to get there. However, if you have a pro audio store that you can call or visit, you might ask about what they sell that would make a good home audio subwoofer.
I have a helpful contact at Sweetwater (a mega pro-audio mail order center in the US). I'll try to remember to call him tomorrow and see what ideas he might have.
What kind of budget in USD do you have? I will shoot for your budget plus one lower (due to VAT) in price if I can.
Very nice of you. If you manage to get some info, please share.

I think it's waiting time again. I have to search and search. I'm sensitive to ugly. Even if I found a sub with high pass and DSP, it still may be something I don't want to bring into my home.

Even when I'm not looking at visual esthetic, I often have problems finding something that suits me. And of course, being human, I blame others and develope conspiracy theories about manufacturers making sure you need one extra DSP even if your sub has one.:D:D:D:D They know what you need to make your sub sound good and they are very watchful to not give it to you in one single piece.

All joking aside, Denon you linked (to me) looks awful. Disgusting. So let's put that aside; it has less power than my amp, doesn't have any phono in (let alone MC), no subsonic filter (figures, since it's for phono) and has a bunch (for me) useless stuff.

I know this is tough case to make on AH. You're all for features and AVRs and would, in fact, change your 7ch for a 9ch, or even 7.1 for 7.2, which I find very silly, but I gues as silly as I might seem to you.

My ideal system is amp+front L/R+sub (the turntable is already a huuuuuge compromise I'm making to the memory of my fatehr). But I want to be able to tune everything nicely and avoid all "mini-dongles"

Anyway, I need to filter out all options for subs with DSP and high pass and then see if any of them meets the eye.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@everettT If I get a miniDSP, would that be all I need to set a 2.1 system with an amp with no bass management and could I then lower the price by getting an active bass with no DSP at all, like some older SVS?

Sorry to bother you, but this hole is full of rabbit poop. ;-)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
@everettT If I get a miniDSP, would that be all I need to set a 2.1 system with an amp with no bass management and could I then lower the price by getting an active bass with no DSP at all, like some older SVS?

Sorry to bother you, but this hole is full of rabbit poop. ;-)
Any reciever with main in/outs to the minidsp will work. You can do bass management (eq, peq, filter, etc) in the minidsp as well as you crossover slope, delay, phase, etc.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Any reciever with main in/outs to the minidsp will work. You can do bass management (eq, peq, filter, etc) in the minidsp as well as you crossover slope, delay, phase, etc.
Just to make sure, you're talking about AVRs again. This is the back of my amp:
1596890760075.png

So, I pop a mini DSP instead of the coupler and it can also make sure that the signal going back to MANI IN and then to LR fronts is with out lows? And it can also sync the sub with the mains?

I saw that these miniDSPs are really mini so I'm thinking of screwing it onto the back panel of the subwoofer.

Something like this:
1596891194983.png

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just to make sure, you're talking about AVRs again. This is the back of my amp:
View attachment 38668
So, I pop a mini DSP instead of the coupler and it can also make sure that the signal going back to MANI IN and then to LR fronts is with out lows? And it can also sync the sub with the mains?

I saw that these miniDSPs are really mini so I'm thinking of screwing it onto the back panel of the subwoofer.

Something like this:
View attachment 38670
You can use double sided tape.

Yes you send the signal back to the receiver for the LR speakers after you apply the filters or any eq needed for them

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@everettT
One of these little boxes has the letters HD in its name and this raises the price more than 100%. How necessary would you say HD is?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Now I'm getting dangerously close to buying a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro to replace DefTech ProSub 800. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis