Amp with existing receiver?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Now you need to return that Sony 950 and save some money, and get a much better tv. Go buy the tcl 8 series mini led. You’ll thank me, hdmi 2.1 is pointless anyway. Yamaha 3080 is hdmi 2.0b and so is all your other stuff. Hdmi 2.1 will change to hdmi 2.1a with a different hdcp to make everyone start over once again. Get the best tv you can afford right now. No such thing as future proofing in this hobby.

Also the Yamaha 3080 was a great choice. manual peq far exceeds denons capabilities. Also it’s more reliable and runs much cooler. Great choice on canton, I own 596.2, 556.2, 896.2, 866.2, 518, 515 and many in ceiling and in wall as well. Now don’t skimp on amps or subs. The canton love power and really need it for high spl. The 596.2 system almost made my denon 6700 burn to the ground, but denon run extremely hot.
Thanks Tim.

I've owned Marantz, Denon, Onkyo (and Integra) and Yamaha over the years. I've always liked the Yamaha the best for some reason. I will say the Denon 4520ci that I briefly had probably did the best job of room correction, but the equivalent to that model I guess now is the 8500. Probably the closer comparison here is the Yamaha 3080 and the Denon 6500. But for the moment, if I don't start second guessing myself, I'm feeling pretty good about the Yamaha RX-A3080 choice. Got email saying it shipped today, so hopefully see it soon.

I looked at that 8 series TCL but wasn't completely sold on it. They had one in the store on display but to buy one I'd have to order it. It looked good but I've read about some brightness issues and other things. As well, it doesn't support IOS based products for apple play. But the other thing I've read is that it's 2019 tech and TCL is about to replace it too. We have another cheaper model 55" 4k TCL being used as a main screen for my son's flight simulator and it works fine for that. The Sony is sitting in the box as I decided to wait on other items to show up before setting things up. That said, I'm not sure there is enough of a reason to drag the sony back to BB to exchange quite honestly. Maybe I'm wrong.

On the amp front I was looking at a parasound A23+ last night with regards to the front mains but really no clue what makes sense when I get to that point. I've tried B&K amps and receivers in the past and found them to be wonderful. I'm not sure they are still around these days. I'm thinking Parasound might be a nice amp choice these days but have more research to do.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
My TV sits in an alcove that is around 70" wide and 19" deep. I'm planning to wall mount it soon and hoped to remove the large cabinet it sits on. My main L/R speakers sit outside the alcove on either side, currently wall mounted but soon to be floor standing Canton's. The Center will also be Canton so it will need to sit on something.

So here are questions for the collective:
> Will I have issues by having the TV sitting 19" behind the rear of the front main speakers? So nearly 23" behind the speaker face. Does the screen need to be closer to the speaker face?
> Can the center sit on top of an equipment stand or a dedicated speaker stand out even with the front L/R speakers? Or does it need to be closer to the TV position?
> Depending on the above, do I need to switch to a bracket that allows me to pull the TV out from the wall towards the front edges of the alcove and thereby more even with the speaker faces?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My tv sits 38" behind the faces of my speakers (L/R/C) in my main setup, a bit less in my secondary setup. At speed of light never thought there'd be a problem....

I use centers on both dedicated stands and on furniture, depends on room.

One of those scissor type mounts to bring screen closer might be good visually....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
> Will I have issues by having the TV sitting 19" behind the rear of the front main speakers? So nearly 23" behind the speaker face. Does the screen need to be closer to the speaker face?

> Can the center sit on top of an equipment stand or a dedicated speaker stand out even with the front L/R speakers? Or does it need to be closer to the TV position?

> Depending on the above, do I need to switch to a bracket that allows me to pull the TV out from the wall towards the front edges of the alcove and thereby more even with the speaker faces?
1) not a Problem. The closer to the Screen the better

2) even with L/R

3) does not have to be even with Speaker Faces

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys. What I'm thinking about is mount the TV on a scissor type mount that can extend to the edge of the opening if needed. Then putting a triple cabinet salamander type cabinet underneath with the center speaker on top. That way the center can be out towards the front and it's rear ports are not contained down in a cabinet.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
For your Center Channel to sit on

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys. What I'm thinking about is mount the TV on a scissor type mount that can extend to the edge of the opening if needed. Then putting a triple cabinet salamander type cabinet underneath with the center speaker on top. That way the center can be out towards the front and it's rear ports are not contained down in a cabinet.
I did a scissor mount above the fireplace in my other house. The fireplace never gets used but the aesthetics required it.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Questions:

I'm sure I know the answer with you guys, but if 75" screen will just fit in my space, would it make that much difference over a 65"? Depending on how far out from the wall I have it, the screen is about 10' to 12' from your head. Only thing is that I can't justify the $1,100 difference between the X950H 65" and the 75". Just curious on thoughts before I open the box and start trying to mount this one.

Also, on the Canton 596.2 speakers they show an AR-500 atmos speaker sitting on top. Would these in effect replace the DefTech ProMonitor 800's that I have mounted up high on the front wall?

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
The Sony 950h is technology is from 2015 to 2016. In fact the Sony 900e is a better tv. The tcl 75” at $1499 looks better than my c8 oled. The over 2000 nits of brightness is incredible. I’m not even sure any tv matches the tcl 8 series in contrast and pop. I love Sony too but it’s not on same level.

The 3080 Yamaha is more comparable to denon 8500 too. 6500 is lighter, lower quality DACs, and small power supply. The 6500 has great processing though with good room eq. The 1080 Yamaha build and power is actually a step up from that 6500.

I tried the 6700 denon but went back to my onkyo rz920. Onkyo just works better, with more power, better build quality and a much better pre amp mode. My ears just like onkyo and Yamaha sound better.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So who has it for $1,499 in 75"? BB shows it at $1,799.

Some of the reviews on the TCL 8 don't rate it as high as you are implying. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/8-series-2019-q825-qled

The Sony 950h is technology is from 2015 to 2016. In fact the Sony 900e is a better tv. The tcl 75” at $1499 looks better than my c8 oled. The over 2000 nits of brightness is incredible. I’m not even sure any tv matches the tcl 8 series in contrast and pop. I love Sony too but it’s not on same level.

The 3080 Yamaha is more comparable to denon 8500 too. 6500 is lighter, lower quality DACs, and small power supply. The 6500 has great processing though with good room eq. The 1080 Yamaha build and power is actually a step up from that 6500.

I tried the 6700 denon but went back to my onkyo rz920. Onkyo just works better, with more power, better build quality and a much better pre amp mode. My ears just like onkyo and Yamaha sound better.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Questions:

I'm sure I know the answer with you guys, but if 75" screen will just fit in my space, would it make that much difference over a 65"? Depending on how far out from the wall I have it, the screen is about 10' to 12' from your head. Only thing is that I can't justify the $1,100 difference between the X950H 65" and the 75". Just curious on thoughts before I open the box and start trying to mount this one.

?
This is a No Brainer!!! ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!!!

If you can find this TV its Great. TCL doesnt come close

Samsung 75" Class LED Q60 $1500

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Samsung q60 isn’t a great tv but it’s ok. Current model is 60hz with no local dimming. Last years was 120hz but they don’t get very bright. The tcl 6 series is a better tv. Tcl is brighter, better blacks, higher contrast, better black uniformity and has roku.

The price is $1799 now which it was $1499 yesterday for 75”. The 65” is still $999 and $700 cheaper than 950h for way brighter picture, better black uniformity, way higher contrast, better colors but Sony has better motion. Motion is the only thing Sony does better. 900 dimming zones on tcl 8 vs 45 on Sony. 200 led lights on Sony vs 25,000 on tcl.

rtings is a resource but I would not go off everything they say. Sony will have light bleed issues and struggle in hdr with a dark picture. Sony is fine in sdr with ambient lights but isn’t a true theater room tv. Sony also has issues in Dolby vision.

Samsung doesn’t make a good tv till q80 and the older q8fn or q9fn was still better. Why Samsung is changing it up next year with new tech. They’ve fallen way behind. The Hisense h9 is actually better than q80. Vizio pqx is also better. Sony and Samsung were the best from 2015-2017 in lcd tech. Lg only makes a good oled now. If you compare Sony 900e, 930e or 940e to current models you’ll see Sony has gotten much worse. Same can be said for Samsung but q90 is still decent panel.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
There are just some things I don't like about the TCL. I don't like the fact that it's missing Apple Play and I'm not thrilled with the Roku remote and control really. Most of the reviews don't seem to concur with your comments about the TCL having better contrast or better black uniformity. I've read numerous ones now that say exact opposite compared to the competitive models. I'm not saying you are wrong as I really don't know and am trying to research everything, but I don't get the warm and fuzzy's for some reason on the TCL.

The Vizio PQX interests me but doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in 75".

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There are just some things I don't like about the TCL. I don't like the fact that it's missing Apple Play and I'm not thrilled with the Roku remote and control really. Most of the reviews don't seem to concur with your comments about the TCL having better contrast or better black uniformity. I've read numerous ones now that say exact opposite compared to the competitive models. I'm not saying you are wrong as I really don't know and am trying to research everything, but I don't get the warm and fuzzy's for some reason on the TCL.

The Vizio PQX interests me but doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in 75".
This shootout is held annually and is a ton of fun. Even if you are not considering any of the displays the info contained therein is beneficial. I can find the other links, including the exact one, but this gives you an idea of things to shoot for

Scores

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t like using any apps in a TV. Firestick 4K is my primary streamer. AppleTV 4K is my backup. I use YouTube TV for sports. I do watch a lot of Hulu and Netflix though. Mariners are hard to watch losIng this many seasons in a row.... Hopefully football starts up on time. LOL :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t like using any apps in a TV. Firestick 4K is my primary streamer. AppleTV 4K is my backup. I use YouTube TV for sports. I do watch a lot of Hulu and Netflix though. Mariners are hard to watch losIng this many seasons in a row.... Hopefully football starts up on time. LOL :)
An external box is always the easiest, I definitely agree.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
What’s Apple play?

sony 950h contrast is 4k to 1

tcl 8 is 40k to 1

sony 950h black uniformity is 1.2%

Tcl 8 series is .3%

I have two Apple TV’s in my house and my family prefers roku. Vudu for movies is much better for sound and picture then i tunes. Tvs I own are 65” c8 oled, 75” sony 900e, 65” sony 900e, 3 55” tcl r625, 75” tcl 8, and 65” Panasonic zt60. Tcl 8 might be best tv in my house. At first I couldn’t imagine buying a Tcl, but I overcame that. Glad I did because they make great tvs. The oled is nice but actually has some issues that bother me including whites being cream, stuttering, motion issues, and hdmi control. Is no perfect tv

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What’s Apple play?

sony 950h contrast is 4k to 1

tcl 8 is 40k to 1

sony 950h black uniformity is 1.2%

Tcl 8 series is .3%

I have two Apple TV’s in my house and my family prefers roku. Vudu for movies is much better for sound and picture then i tunes. Tvs I own are 65” c8 oled, 75” sony 900e, 65” sony 900e, 3 55” tcl r625, 75” tcl 8, and 65” Panasonic zt60. Tcl 8 might be best tv in my house. At first I couldn’t imagine buying a Tcl, but I overcame that. Glad I did because they make great tvs. The oled is nice but actually has some issues that bother me including whites being cream, stuttering, motion issues, and hdmi control. Is no perfect tv
For me I need a display that can be calibrated to ISF standards for critical viewing. Having Pioneer Elite displays, I know I'm gonna be shelling out some duckets. The Samsung QN55 I got for the bedroom is the first display that I had seen that comes close to the Elites.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
For me I need a display that can be calibrated to ISF standards for critical viewing. Having Pioneer Elite displays, I know I'm gonna be shelling out some duckets. The Samsung QN55 I got for the bedroom is the first display that I had seen that comes close to the Elites.
what Samsung do you have?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Samsung q60 isn’t a great tv but it’s ok. Current model is 60hz with no local dimming. Last years was 120hz

Samsung doesn’t make a good tv till q80
Your Crazy the Q60 is Awesome. And I'm taking about the 2019 for $1500

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis