Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just want to mention that I just purchased the Chrono SL 596.2 Towers that came with a free center. I’ll add my thoughts when they come in. Thanks to everyone, especially KEW for turning me on to these bad boys.
Don't thank me until after you have had them for a couple of weeks! So far, they are impressig most people as they did me, but hearing and personal preference are subjective.
What speaker are you coming off of?

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I am new to this game, right now I have Fluance signature series LRC. The bookshelf’s will go to rear surrounds.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
KEW, sorry if you already addressed this but I see you mentioned that the Infinity Reference series (which I have in my living room all around RC263 and 4 R263) also have the CMMD ceramic tweeters. This might be impossible but can you speak to the degree of difference that the Canton ceramic tweeters make? I'm guessing not worth upgrading now since I just completed my purchase of 263's getting them at bargain rates with coupon. But I'm always wanting to learn about what might be next (unfortunately)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Don't thank me until after you have had them for a couple of weeks! So far, they are impressig most people as they did me, but hearing and personal preference are subjective.
What speaker are you coming off of?
I will spend the rest of my life wondering how much betteR those Canton sound vs the JBL 590’s. Very happy with the JBl’s but....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will spend the rest of my life wondering how much betteR those Canton sound vs the JBL 590’s. Very happy with the JBl’s but....
No time like now to try!!! :p ..... Oooops I didn't mean to start that itch ..... ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh man, do I know what you're talking about here! I go through it too. I'll bet those 590s are going to be hard to beat in the price range. IF the Cantons were to sound any better I'll bet you'd have to do some instant switching between them and listen carefully to hear it. The 590s are really good speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
KEW, sorry if you already addressed this but I see you mentioned that the Infinity Reference series (which I have in my living room all around RC263 and 4 R263) also have the CMMD ceramic tweeters. This might be impossible but can you speak to the degree of difference that the Canton ceramic tweeters make? I'm guessing not worth upgrading now since I just completed my purchase of 263's getting them at bargain rates with coupon. But I'm always wanting to learn about what might be next (unfortunately)
I guess one way to look at it is the Infinity has good extension, but it is a little muted for my ear. The Canton brings more presence to the high end. I might think the the Infinity rolls off on the high end and the Canton might be tipped up; however, I have learned that this perception might not be reflected in a FR, but might have as much to do with dispersion as FR.
I am looking forward to @ErinH 's review and measurements of Canton. He uses the same method as Amir of AudioScienceReview who has measured the Infinity R162, so this will give us a better idea of the differences.
Unfortunately, it will likely be awhile before Erin gets to these because he has a full plate of testing queued up, plus his day job, plus kid(s)!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Oh man, do I know what you're talking about here! I go through it too. I'll bet those 590s are going to be hard to beat in the price range. IF the Cantons were to sound any better I'll bet you'd have to do some instant switching between them and listen carefully to hear it. The 590s are really good speakers.
"Which is better" might be a contest (for me the Canton is better), but you would definitely hear a difference between these two speakers without instant switching!
Doing my best to describe my subjective experiences, I give the JBL Studio 5's the nod over the Infinities, but kind of feel like the Infinities might be more accurate! I just seems, to me, like the Studio 5 series has some sort of synergy to make it more emotionally engaging (and I believe that is ultimately why we enjoy listening to music)!
That "engagement synergy" allows the JBL's to beat speakers that I think would look better than the JBL on paper (measurements).
Because the Canton ceramic tweeter is in the same league as the RAAL or top Be tweeters (Focal & Paradigm are the ones I have heard), it musters the performance to beat the Series 5 because the performance is enough to off-set the synergy of the Studio 5.
I realize that synergy is pretty vague. I assume in-depth analysis measurement could reveal what "magic" is actually happening with this speaker. At the same time there are examples where competent designers "luck into" an exceptional product. The Phantom F-4 jet fighter is a good example where things just came together to make a "better than expected" outcome.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Oh man, do I know what you're talking about here! I go through it too. I'll bet those 590s are going to be hard to beat in the price range...
That is what got me, the deal on the JBL’s was too good to pass up. I grew up po, (couldn’t afford the the other o and r!) so to my detriment I always try to save a few dollars. I love highs more than bass. So when you guys rave about the ceramic tweeters it kills me.
when I got the JBL’s it was no doubt an upgrade over the B&W’s I had. I thought they had excellent base, and incredible mid range, imaging, and soundstage great. but I thought the highs were lacking.

Based on something I read here I pulled the speakers out from the wall, they opened up. I spend Hours listening in two channel mode at higher spl’s. I never really understood how/why you would buy tower speakers then add subs, I get it now.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I spoke to A4L. These are their last batch of the Reference 9.2DC. The containers of products were a bit more in cost so they had to raise the sale price. I ended up paying 200 more as well. These are worth double IMO.
You all have me looking at the Cantons quite a bit. So as far as the reference 9.2s are concerned, this is all they will have (like forever?) Or maybe they will just be out of stock for a bit? I was actually wanting to wait a bit before purchasing because the house won't be done until January. I also do not wish to miss out on these if they are truly that great. Will there be a newer comparable model to these in the next shipments? Thanks for all your help.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
"Which is better" might be a contest (for me the Canton is better), but you would definitely hear a difference between these two speakers without instant switching!
Doing my best to describe my subjective experiences, I give the JBL Studio 5's the nod over the Infinities, but kind of feel like the Infinities might be more accurate! I just seems, to me, like the Studio 5 series has some sort of synergy to make it more emotionally engaging (and I believe that is ultimately why we enjoy listening to music)!
That "engagement synergy" allows the JBL's to beat speakers that I think would look better than the JBL on paper (measurements).
Because the Canton ceramic tweeter is in the same league as the RAAL or top Be tweeters (Focal & Paradigm are the ones I have heard), it musters the performance to beat the Series 5 because the performance is enough to off-set the synergy of the Studio 5.
I realize that synergy is pretty vague. I assume in-depth analysis measurement could reveal what "magic" is actually happening with this speaker. At the same time there are examples where competent designers "luck into" an exceptional product. The Phantom F-4 jet fighter is a good example where things just came together to make a "better than expected" outcome.
Thank you for all the information that you have provided in this thread. I have spent the past couple of days reading. Im getting closer to buying just not sure yet if I want the kef r3, the canton reference 9.2, or the ascend 2ex. I would love a pair of the salks(i think) but that would push me over my 2k limit for the pair.

Right now, I have a denon x3300w, I have read the thoughts and the asr reviews on it. It will only be pushing the pair right now and I plan on getting a new sub as well (later on for sure.) It seems that the power from the denon might not be enough though, is this correct? For the cantons I mean.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You all have me looking at the Cantons quite a bit. So as far as the reference 9.2s are concerned, this is all they will have (like forever?) Or maybe they will just be out of stock for a bit? I was actually wanting to wait a bit before purchasing because the house won't be done until January. I also do not wish to miss out on these if they are truly that great. Will there be a newer comparable model to these in the next shipments? Thanks for all your help.
You might call A4L for more information but they usually get shipping containers of Canton speakers every year around February from what I’ve seen the past few years. The exact models and finishes seem to vary somewhat each year. They have had the 9.2 each year the past few years though.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
You might call A4L for more information but they usually get shipping containers of Canton speakers every year around February from what I’ve seen the past few years. The exact models and finishes seem to vary somewhat each year. They have had the 9.2 each year the past few years though.
Thanks for the information, I may end up doing this.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I moved the Vento Ref 9.2 DC speakers to my office and listened to them as a stereo pair for while. Then, I moved a pair of VMPS DiPole bookshelves in with them that are about the same size but 5 pounds lighter and 15 years older. I placed them both in an A-B test where I could switch between them or play them together. The results:
The Vento Ref 9.2 DC has a higher treble extension. More open in the highs. You hear it as soon as you switch from the VMPS DiPole to the Vento Ref 9.2 DC. But the Vento Ref 9.2 DC sounds boxy and much less open. You have to put more power to the Vento to try to push past the boxy sound. But the harshness remains. It's not a warm speaker.
When you switch to the VMPS DiPole the music doesn't feel confined by the box. It's a huge difference that offers a much more open and warm sound. These DiPoles sound so much better to my ear.

Based on the fact that the Vento Ref 9.2 DC are harsh sounding it's hard for me to justify a $1499 price tag. If you never heard the VMPS DiPoles you might think the Vento is as good as it gets. But my ears have been spoiled.

I'll call A4L on Monday and see how badly it will hurt to do a return. I wish this would have been a glowing experience. Any speakers I buy from now on are going to require a great return policy if I can't hear them first. :rolleyes:
Did you ever try to send the speakers back? What was there return policy? Thanks for posting your thoughts on the Cantons as well.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Did you ever try to send the speakers back? What was there return policy? Thanks for posting your thoughts on the Cantons as well.
When I contacted A4L on the return they wanted a 10% return fee plus they wanted me to pay for the original shipping plus pay the return shipping. When I added it all up it was a 28% loss on the purchase.

So I mounted them on top of my 7' VMPS towers as my new Left and right high speakers. The tweeter added a nice treble extension and it was better than the return penalty. As my ears acclimated to the Canton 9.2 Ref. I started liking them more and more.

Once I got the Hegel H90 in my office I moved the Canton 9.2's back in and I now like them better in my office than my VMPS DiPoles which are now sitting on top of the 7' VMPS towers.

I have a pair of Magnepan LRS speakers on order (they take 12 weeks to ship). Once those come I may move everything around again. :)
I am also lusting over Pogre's new speakers with RAAL tweeters, so if the LRS doesn't turn me into a total Magnepan fan then I might buy a pair of those.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I believe these are the replacements for the 9.2 but at $11,000 a pair, I rather doubt I’ll be alive to see them discounted to $1500

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I believe these are the replacements for the 9.2 but at $11,000 a pair, I rather doubt I’ll be alive to see them discounted to $1500

Wow, yea this is way to rich for my blood as well. Thanks for the reply.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Right now, I have a denon x3300w, I have read the thoughts and the asr reviews on it. It will only be pushing the pair right now and I plan on getting a new sub as well (later on for sure.) It seems that the power from the denon might not be enough though, is this correct? For the cantons I mean.
I think it depends on how far you sit from the speakers and how loud you like to listen!
For me, using a 3300 in stereo would be perfectly fine!
The Cantons do drop to 4 Ohm territory, but having an AVR designed for several channels helps ensure the power supply can handle 4 ohms into only 2 (and Genes test results show the AVR-X3300H putting out 154 Watts at 4 ohms CFP-BW with 0.1% THD)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
For me, using a 3300 in stereo would be perfectly fine!
The Cantons do drop to 4 Ohm territory, but having an AVR designed for several channels helps ensure the power supply can handle 4 ohms into only 2 (and Genes test results show the AVR-X3300H putting out 154 Watts at 4 ohms CFP-BW with 0.1% THD)
I'm running the Canton 9.2 Reference speakers with the 65W per channel Hegel H90 integrated amp in my 12 x 13' office. With the volume at 50% I'm getting over 80db. That Denon 3300 AVR should have plenty of power for the Canton.

I also ran the Canton 9.2 Reference speakers on the Denon 4500 in a 22 x 28' home theatre room with three pairs of speakers on the AVR amps. It handled it fine with no issues while louder than 90db. :rolleyes:

I would try it with the 3300. It should be fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis