Front Three Channel Recommendations $2000

S

Space2013

Audioholic
I am looking for recommendations for three front speakers for a home theater system.

Usage/Ideal Features:
  • I listen to 50% music and 50% movies/gaming.
  • The main listening position is about 10-11 feet away from the speakers.
  • I’ll be running dual subwoofers (likely HSU VTF-3 MK5) crossed over around 80 Hz.
  • I want to make sure they can play reasonably loud for movies. Based on some rough estimates I did with a phone SPL app I probably listen around 75-80 dB average (not accounting for peaks).
  • I want to avoid a 2-way horizontal center channel. If horizontal, I’d like a 3-way center channel. However, it could be a two way center placed vertically if it isn’t too tall (it will on a stand in front of the TV stand and needs to sit below 22-inches so it doesn’t block the TV).
  • I’d like the speaker to be relatively neutral.
  • Budget for front three channels: less than $2000.
Based on reviews and conversations I’ve had with some folks here, I’m considering the following:
  • Monolith THX 365T/C
  • NHT C3/C LCR
  • Kali LP-8
  • Adam A7X
I probably lean slightly toward passive speakers, but I’m open to doing an active speaker system. The only logistical issues I see with active speakers is ensuring there outlets accessible where I want to put the surround speakers, making it easy to power them all on, and ensuring the speakers won’t get poked by curious kids or pets since they often lack grills. But these are over to overcome.

Last edited:
Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
I second the Canton SL596.2 towers and the SL556.2 center is a 3 way horizontal.

H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
Had the Canton SL596.2 towers with the SL556.2 center delivered last week. The free center speaker made it a hard deal to pass up. So far I have only used them listening to music and they do not disappoint. Am hoping they will be awesome for home theater as well when I get around to it. Also looking to get a couple HSU subs to compliment them.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Had the Canton SL596.2 towers with the SL556.2 center delivered last week. The free center speaker made it a hard deal to pass up. So far I have only used them listening to music and they do not disappoint. Am hoping they will be awesome for home theater as well when I get around to it. Also looking to get a couple HSU subs to compliment them.
I've never really heard about Canton before. They look interesting. I wonder how they would compare with the Monolith THX 365 when crossed over with dual subs at 80 Hz.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I've never really heard about Canton before. They look interesting. I wonder how they would compare with the Monolith THX 365 when crossed over with dual subs at 80 Hz.
The speakers are made in Germany I believe.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Does anyone find support to be much of an issue in the USA? Canton doesn’t seem to have much of a presence here.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
I’ll add the Canton’s too my short list. Anything else I should look at that combines good dynamic range with relatively neutral response?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone find support to be much of an issue in the USA? Canton doesn’t seem to have much of a presence here.
Accessories4Less has been around a long time. If you have issues I'm sure they would help you figure it out. My good Friend runs Cantons. Loves them. Don't think he's ever had an issue either.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I’ll add the Canton’s too my short list. Anything else I should look at that combines good dynamic range with relatively neutral response?
Hard to beat those Cantons

I Love these but a Little Over the Budget.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If waiting for production isnt an issue, you could get these

With this for a center,

That's $400 over budget (priced with upgraded veneers)

The speakers measure extremely flat/neutral.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Thanks everyone! Great options. Has anyone heard the PowerSound Audio MT-110?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis