Infinity speakers back on sale!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Kew would these speaker be in your top five? DCM killer? I’d like to see your top 10 one day. I know the Cantons would be at least in your top 3 position. Tempting at that price of 160/180 prices. Did the center with midrange ever go on sale? If they did how low were they?
KEW had a pretty good post on here a while back, but I don't recall which thread.

By my memory, I believe he said to his ears the new Infinity speakers are 1/2 a notch above the DCM.

When I bought my DCM speakers, I had also been considering the Infinitys as well as the JBLs.

When I considered the cost difference, and the better looking cherry vinyl on the DCM (matches my living room perfectly), the DCM was the easy choice.

I do plan to add the 20ohm resistor (i.e. the DM mod) on a set of my DCM 160TP, when I get around to it.

On a side note--I have been running my new Overnight Sensations in the living room the last few days (no sub-woofer). I found that the OS seem a bit "shouty" in my room. After a couple of days, I asked the wife if she noticed the difference and if she was ready to go back to the DCM 260TP speakers. She said that she agreed that the OS was not as good of a speaker, and she did not know how to describe it, but I suggested that "they don't have the authority of the DCM" and she agreed.

No surprises, just re-confirming that the DCM TP series are excellent speakers, and the price we got these for was just icing on the cake!

Now that I have warmed the wife up to trying different speakers in the living room, I think I'm gonna try the DCM TFE 60 next. They may not dig as deep as the TP, but I suspect these are actually going to sound even better!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
KEW had a pretty good post on here a while back, but I don't recall which thread.

By my memory, I believe he said to his ears the new Infinity speakers are 1/2 a notch above the DCM.

When I bought my DCM speakers, I had also been considering the Infinitys as well as the JBLs.

When I considered the cost difference, and the better looking cherry vinyl on the DCM (matches my living room perfectly), the DCM was the easy choice.

I do plan to add the 20ohm resistor (i.e. the DM mod) on a set of my DCM 160TP, when I get around to it.
@afterlife2
Here is my post on this:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Kew would these speaker be in your top five? DCM killer? I’d like to see your top 10 one day. I know the Cantons would be at least in your top 3 position. Tempting at that price of 160/180 prices. Did the center with midrange ever go on sale? If they did how low were they?
For value, I think the DCM is easily the best speaker I have ever encountered. I mean the Pioneer BS-22 went for about the same price (when on sale) and was the best deal for that price for a long time, but the DCM clearly blows the Pioneer out of the water! It easily beats the Sony Core and it beats the Philharmonic AA's (Dayton Audio - which has beat several $200-$500 speakers I have compared it to).
If I were in your shoes, I would not get the infinities because they are too close to buying another pair of the DCM's. That is the problem with such a deal it takes a good bit more money to buy something better.
In my hierarchy (IOW, my subjective opinion), you have two options:
1) Save up for the Studio 530's at $300/pr - IMHO, they are not that big of a step up, but I do like them better than the Infinities (especially when HT is part of the package)! Not that big of a step up ... but a different presentation of sound. IMHO, if you will have two pairs of speakers (say, one in LR and one in BR) it is better to have two different (but neither is "wrong") sounds, so I recommend the 530's to fit this objective!
2) Save up for the Canton Chrono SL with the ceramic tweeter (currently $600 is the best price to get you there-I think I got a pair for $500 or less at one point). This is a speaker that gets a decisive step up from the DCM (or Infinity or 530), IMHO.
Over the next month or so, we should be seeing in-depth measurements/reviews from Erin H. on the BMR (which he recently did), the Focal Twin6Be, and the Canton Vento 830.2 which I dropped off at his house early this month. I really feel that the Canton manages to be fair competition among these three speakers. I prefer the BMR and Focal, but given the Canton's price, it should not even belong in the same pack! But my point is you might wait on Erin's review of the Canton Vento before you decide. I should add taht I took a single Chrono Chrono SL to him as well. I only had room for one, but he was okay with a "quick and dirty" measurement of the Chrono to see how it compared to the Vento. I think the only differences are cosmetic and the rounded vs square cabinet, but would like to see measurements to confirm/refute that!

Oh, the center with mid-range does go on sale! Seems like it sits somewhere between $250 and $300. It would be a good sonic match for your DCM's and is an outstanding center design. Obviously it is not a good color match, but I generally go black for my center even if I have white mains because the black disappears under the screen and the white calls attention to itself. I suppose you could make the same argument against Cherry finish, to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
For value, I think the DCM is easily the best speaker I have ever encountered. I mean the Pioneer BS-22 went for about the same price (when on sale) and was the best deal for that price for a long time, but the DCM clearly blows the Pioneer out of the water! It easily beats the Sony Core and it beats the Philharmonic AA's (Dayton Audio - which has beat several $200-$500 speakers I have compared it to).
If I were in your shoes, I would not get the infinities because they are too close to buying another pair of the DCM's. That is the problem with such a deal it takes a good bit more money to buy something better.
1) Save up for the Studio 530's at $300/pr - IMHO, they are not that big of a step up, but I do like them better than the Infinities (especially when HT is part of the package)! Not that big of a step up ... but a different presentation of sound. IMHO, if you will have two pairs of speakers (say, one in LR and one in BR) it is better to have two different (but neither is "wrong") sounds, so I recommend the 530's to fit this objective!
2) Save up for the Canton Chrono SL with the ceramic tweeter (currently $600 is the best price to get you there-I think I got a pair for $500 or less at one point). This is a speaker that gets a decisive step up from the DCM (or Infinity or 530), IMHO.
Over the next month or so, we should be seeing in-depth measurements/reviews from Erin H. on the BMR (which he recently did), the Focal Twin6Be, and the Canton Vento 830.2 which I dropped off at his house early this month. I really feel that the Canton manages to be fair competition among these three speakers. I prefer the BMR and Focal, but given the Canton's price, it should not even belong in the same pack! But my point is you might wait on Erin's review of the Canton Vento before you decide. I should add taht I took a single Chrono Chrono SL to him as well. I only had room for one, but he was okay with a "quick and dirty" measurement of the Chrono to see how it compared to the Vento. I think the only differences are cosmetic and the rounded vs square cabinet, but would like to see measurements to confirm/refute that!

Oh, the center with mid-range does go on sale! Seems like it sits somewhere between $250 and $300. It would be a good sonic match for your DCM's and is an outstanding center design. Obviously it is not a good color match, but I generally go black for my center even if I have white mains because the black disappears under the screen and the white calls attention to itself. I suppose you could make the same argument against Cherry finish, to a lesser extent.

This is a really great post. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I have the Infinities in one set up (R263 towers and surrounds with the RC263 center). I like them.

I also have a JBL setup with 590s and 530s as surrounds and I like that too

I'm going to ask a dumb question. On the Canton's what do you think makes them a significant step up from these two? Looking at the Chrono towers as an example on A4Less (8 inch woofers) for $999 per tower. I don't know that I've heard higher end speaker and just how much better they sound and just wondered if there was anything specific you think makes the big difference

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Phew great post KEW as always. TY I almost spent my rent money on those Infinity Ref! Maybe the center Infinity midrange center to pair with the DCM when on sale. Right now they are paired with a Black PE center, which is decent for now. Yes the JBL 5 series are my goal for a couple of years now. I’d love to get them 530’s, 4K TV and full time job of course this year. Those Cantons ceramic tweeter in piano finish black are also in my wish list. I’d still love to see your top ten speakers cause we seem to have the same taste in audio speakers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This is a really great post. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I have the Infinities in one set up (R263 towers and surrounds with the RC263 center). I like them.

I also have a JBL setup with 590s and 530s as surrounds and I like that too

I'm going to ask a dumb question. On the Canton's what do you think makes them a significant step up from these two? Looking at the Chrono towers as an example on A4Less (8 inch woofers) for $999 per tower. I don't know that I've heard higher end speaker and just how much better they sound and just wondered if there was anything specific you think makes the big difference
Cantons with the ceramic tweeter are real special. Those tweeters are the best I’ve heard period.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

How did you like the DCM center with the 2 way design and passive radiator?

I have one installed in my 2nd system, but don't really watch movies in there. Just been playing XBox, so tough to have a good opinion on it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

On a side note--I have been running my new Overnight Sensations in the living room the last few days (no sub-woofer). I found that the OS seem a bit "shouty" in my room. After a couple of days, I asked the wife if she noticed the difference and if she was ready to go back to the DCM 260TP speakers. She said that she agreed that the OS was not as good of a speaker, and she did not know how to describe it, but I suggested that "they don't have the authority of the DCM" and she agreed.

No surprises, just re-confirming that the DCM TP series are excellent speakers, and the price we got these for was just icing on the cake!

Now that I have warmed the wife up to trying different speakers in the living room, I think I'm gonna try the DCM TFE 60 next. They may not dig as deep as the TP, but I suspect these are actually going to sound even better!
DCM TFE 60 I'd also like to hear one day. Are they still popping up on eBay?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
How did you like the DCM center with the 2 way design and passive radiator?

I have one installed in my 2nd system, but don't really watch movies in there. Just been playing XBox, so tough to have a good opinion on it.
I don’t think he bought the center slip. I almost bought one, but wanted a review first. Hey you can do one? :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
DCM TFE 60 I'd also like to hear one day. Are they still popping up on eBay?
I don't think so, the vendor pricedrightsales looks to be out of stock, so that value is likely done. I have also been directly on their website, and no luck.

My big problem is that I don't have the space for any decent sized CC in my LR. Modern AV furniture is built more for form over function :mad:

Likely, I need to get my TV wall-mounted, then I can use the top surface of my entertainment cab for the CC, then I will be in business!

On my 2nd system, the CC is installed, with the Alexis Audio/Philharmonitors as my mains. But, that CC is a bit lower placement than ideal, and also a bit of a tight fit vertically, so again it just is not ideal to really try to give it a fair evaluation.

I also have the TFE CC, but it is even larger so an even bigger problem.

I may be willing to sell off a bit of my DCM collection in the future, but I need to get some more time on them to figure out what I really like and what speakers I ultimately want installed and where. It's just at the price and the $/performance ratio, I figured that I better grab them when I could, then I could work out my details later. That looks to have been a good decision.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
The R152s arrived very quickly, but it seems as though the person in charge of randomly stabbing boxes with a spear still has a job somewhere in the delivery chain.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.21.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.21.54 PM.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On the Canton's what do you think makes them a significant step up from these two? Looking at the Chrono towers as an example on A4Less (8 inch woofers) for $999 per tower. I don't know that I've heard higher end speaker and just how much better they sound and just wondered if there was anything specific you think makes the big difference
Just in case you are not aware, if you bought two of those you get a free center thrown in! I assume this is the model you are talking at $999:
The Cantons are a well rounded speaker.
To my ear, it is the tweeter that really sets them apart from other speakers at the same price-point. Canton has managed to produce a tweeter which competes reasonably well with the RAAL ribbon tweeters and the Focal Be tweeters. That is a decided league above the Infinity Reference or the JBL Studio 5 tweeters! In addition, the Cantons provide more mid-range detail (which, right or wrong, I generally attribute to simply using higher quality drivers). Last, the build quality/finish of the Cantons is exceptional. I applaud Infinity and JBL for not spending money on finish/cosmetics, but the Cantons have it without having to pay much for it!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The R152s arrived very quickly, but it seems as though the person in charge of randomly stabbing boxes with a spear still has a job somewhere in the delivery chain.

What are we looking at here?
What is the black material?
At first pass, I don't recognize that as any part of the speaker or packing materials!?
Were the speakers damaged?

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
What are we looking at here?
What is the black material?
At first pass, I don't recognize that as any part of the speaker or packing materials!?
Were the speakers damaged?
Top of the speaker looking down through the hole in the box.
The grid-patterned material with the triangular hole is actually the translucent white wrap around the speaker.
Beyond that you may or may not be able to make out the wood splintering.

The same type of damage occurred on one of the R263s I ordered. It looks like someone is being careless with a forklift. The entry wounds are consistent. In both cases, it also seems like the perpetrator peeled back part of the white wrap to confirm that they had succeeded in inflicting damage to the actual cabinets. "Ah, Fork It. Ship It." Harman has been great with the returns though.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 5.36.37 PM.png

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
The replacement for the damaged R263 just arrived. I regret sending the first one back now.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 2.40.32 PM.png

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I had to send back my first set of 263's as both had something messed up. Luckily the 4 after were fine.

I was lucky when I got my JBL 590s they shipped them freight on a pallet and that really helps. You don't want UPS here. I wonder if they charge back UPS in the California facility they are sent back to. Whatever the case, It's clear that their packaging is 100% inadequate and results in a BUNCH of returns. Must cost a lot more to add a a little more padding than handle all the returns (Unless UPS has to eat it in which case they might not care)

Their customer service has been helpful to me however, but it's so defeating to get something like that

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
lol. Not so fun fact: my uncle was briefly surveilled by the FBI as a unabomber suspect.

I'm still a few weeks from starting to set up everything anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis