as if COVID wasn't bad enough ............

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I was waiting for these tired "examples" and had a strong feeling they would come up. This is what happens when one suckles at the teat of the biased press, confident that what they feed you is the unaltered truth (while loudly proclaiming alternate viewpoints as "Faux" news). Ironically, you told me to do my own research while you fail to do your own. I am pretty sure you are comfortable in your "knowledge" of these events and won't be bothered to do any independent research, so I will help you out. Yes, Trump did indeed say "very fine people on both sides" but if you were to listen to ALL of what he said or read the transcript, he was not referring to the white supremacists (or antifa, for that matter) that showed up, but the peaceful protesters that gathered before the sh*t went down. He then condemned quite strongly the white supremacists (and antifa or "Alt Left"). OF course, the edited version is accepted as gospel by those who want it to be so. As far as the "shithole countries" comment goes, that is attributed to lord helmet Durbin (D-IL) who said DT said that during an immigration meeting and, again, reported on as the gospel truth for those who want it to be so (several sites have it listed as "disputed" and there is no recording of Trump actually saying it). YW
“lord helmet”- ha!

jinjuku

jinjuku

and "shithole countries"
I think the media loves a good story and ran with that one. There are plenty of countries I wouldn't want to visit out of safety concerns and instability.

The man has no filter but I'm not going to ascribe racial intent when he said that. I don't know what he was thinking.

I'll say this: When I had to work in all parts of Youngstown, OH I wasn't thrilled about it and some of my colleagues referred to it as a 'shithole'. Drove with the doors locked for good portions.

My main point is I didn't need the media to spin it and to tell me how to inform my opinion on what he said. I was capable of hearing his words for myself and coming to my own conclusion.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I think the media loves a good story and ran with that one. There are plenty of countries I wouldn't want to visit out of safety concerns and instability.

The man has no filter but I'm not going to ascribe racial intent when he said that. I don't know what he was thinking.

I'll say this: When I had to work in all parts of Youngstown, OH I wasn't thrilled about it and some of my colleagues referred to it as a 'shithole'. Drove with the doors locked for good portions.

My main point is I didn't need the media to spin it and to tell me how to inform my opinion on what he said. I was capable of hearing his words for myself and coming to my own conclusion.
Do you really believe that calling a town in Ohio a shithole is equivalent? This goes back to one of my previous statements: What the president says matters, regardless of context or how serious or flippant he was.

And, to be clear, I didn't call him a white supremacist - certainly not in the "formal" sense. That would require an effort to hold a distinct ideology and he is too intellectually lazy and/or lacking to get that far. I said he "appeals" to white supremacists. But, when you trade in rhetoric that appeals to people like Richard Spencer and David Duke; when you propagate birther-ism against the preceding POTUS; when you would rather see more immigrants from Norway than from the aforementioned "shithole" countries, you are not a "I don't mind black people, but I don't want my daughter to date one" run-of-the-mill racist.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't believe there is such a list to be compiled and I don't think I implied that he has made such appeals.

Actually, he did make that straight-from-the-heart appeal to black people with the "what have you got to lose" bit. Soooooo, there's that...
If they have nothing after decades of same ol', same ol' leadership, is that really a ridiculous question?

It seems to be a case of people saying "I want to do _______" and the government tells them "We don't think you can so we're going to give you _______ and do _______ for you".

Many adults (here) can't read- I was at the bank last week and a couple walked into the lobby, apparently surprised to find that the main doors were locked. Someone from the bank came to the door and he asked if they were open. They had walked past a 3' x 4' sign with 'LOBBY IS LOCKED, DUE TO COVID-19', five feet from the entrance! If they saw it, they didn't or couldn't read it. If I couldn't read, I would hate to admit it and I think that has a lot to do with the lack of incentive to finish school.

highfigh

highfigh

.... "shithole countries" statements certainly give one an inkling of what he's thinking.
Going back to the slavery issue, Mauritania outlawed slavery in 1981- read the info in the link and tell me it's not one of the countries that fit the moniker.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If they have nothing after decades of same ol', same ol' leadership, is that really a ridiculous question?

It seems to be a case of people saying "I want to do _______" and the government tells them "We don't think you can so we're going to give you _______ and do _______ for you".

Many adults (here) can't read- I was at the bank last week and a couple walked into the lobby, apparently surprised to find that the main doors were locked. Someone from the bank came to the door and he asked if they were open. They had walked past a 3' x 4' sign with 'LOBBY IS LOCKED, DUE TO COVID-19', five feet from the entrance! If they saw it, they didn't or couldn't read it. If I couldn't read, I would hate to admit it and I think that has a lot to do with the lack of incentive to finish school.
Regardless of how ill-served POC have been, how anyone could look upon POTUS has their possible saviour is beyond my comprehension.

Many people don't see signs, no matter how large they are. At the facility where I work, a new large sign listing COVID-19 precautions/protocols was recently installed at the entrance. The security guard was informally surveying people as they entered as to whether they had seen it. I hadn't and I wasn't alone. He said, "It ain't lookin' good". When I left work later, I made a point of looking at the sign - it was all info I knew already. That's not an excuse, but the point is, we're inundated with such things, so people filter them out.

So, reading skills might or might not have been the issue.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Going back to the slavery issue, Mauritania outlawed slavery in 1981- read the info in the link and tell me it's not one of the countries that fit the moniker.

I'm certainly not saying that many such countries are well-governed. However, calling them "shitholes" exposes a contempt that isn't a quality I would like to see in a head of government.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I was waiting for these tired "examples" and had a strong feeling they would come up. This is what happens when one suckles at the teat of the biased press, confident that what they feed you is the unaltered truth (while loudly proclaiming alternate viewpoints as "Faux" news). Ironically, you told me to do my own research while you fail to do your own. I am pretty sure you are comfortable in your "knowledge" of these events and won't be bothered to do any independent research, so I will help you out. Yes, Trump did indeed say "very fine people on both sides" but if you were to listen to ALL of what he said or read the transcript, he was not referring to the white supremacists (or antifa, for that matter) that showed up, but the peaceful protesters that gathered before the sh*t went down. He then condemned quite strongly the white supremacists (and antifa or "Alt Left"). OF course, the edited version is accepted as gospel by those who want it to be so. As far as the "shithole countries" comment goes, that is attributed to lord helmet Durbin (D-IL) who said DT said that during an immigration meeting and, again, reported on as the gospel truth for those who want it to be so (several sites have it listed as "disputed" and there is no recording of Trump actually saying it). YW
There has been much obfuscation regarding the "very fine people" remark, so I'll let you have that one.

As for "shithole countries":

Trump’s contemptuous description of an entire continent startled lawmakers in the meeting and immediately revived charges that the president is racist. The White House did not deny his remark but issued a statement saying Trump supports immigration policies that welcome “those who can contribute to our society.”
Italics are mine.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm certainly not saying that many such countries are well-governed. However, calling them "shitholes" exposes a contempt that isn't a quality I would like to see in a head of government.
Not acting 'Presidential' is something we have become too familiar with.

highfigh

highfigh

Regardless of how ill-served POC have been, how anyone could look upon POTUS has their possible saviour is beyond my comprehension.

Many people don't see signs, no matter how large they are. At the facility where I work, a new large sign listing COVID-19 precautions/protocols was recently installed at the entrance. The security guard was informally surveying people as they entered as to whether they had seen it. I hadn't and I wasn't alone. He said, "It ain't lookin' good". When I left work later, I made a point of looking at the sign - it was all info I knew already. That's not an excuse, but the point is, we're inundated with such things, so people filter them out.

So, reading skills might or might not have been the issue.
No President should be looked at as a savior. EVER. Public servant, absolutely. Leader, somewhat.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
There has been much obfuscation regarding the "very fine people" remark, so I'll let you have that one.

As for "shithole countries":

Italics are mine.
What in the world is the point of the Snopes posting? It is merely a reprint of an AP article - doesn't Snopes "investigate" or is it only when it suits them? Try this one:
1593521846730.png

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
What in the world is the point of the Snopes posting? It is merely a reprint of an AP article - doesn't Snopes "investigate" or is it only when it suits them? Try this one:
View attachment 37693
With all the flack he got for saying it, of course he's going to deny it after the fact. That's why it's disputed.
From your link:
After the meeting, Graham reportedly told his fellow Republican senator from South Carolina, Tim Scott, that the media reports about Trump’s language at the meeting were “basically accurate,” according to Charleston’s Post and Courier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis