Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The challenge for having more HDMI 2.1 ports is the lack of availability for certified multi-port HDMI 2.1 ICs. Presently the primary supplier Lattice just has the single port transceiver HDMI 2.1 IC available, but multi-port ICs are now sampling with mass production late 4th quarter 2020.... :)

Just my $0.02... ;)
So guessing this affects the TVs as well as the AVRs. If that’s the case TVs would also have a single HDMI 2.1 input if you were purchasing now. Sounds like it’s best to wait a year or 2. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking forward to upgrading my home theater late 2020 or early 2021 when new flagship AVRs from Marantz and Yahama will be released for comparison. Denon as already released the x6700h AVR. Doilby will have added wide fronts, DTS Pro and other upgrades.

My listening interests include cable including older movies via amazon prime, 2 Ch classical music via CDs, SACDs and the internet.

My present equipment includes the Marantz 8012 AVR, GoldenEar Triton 5 fronts and center. GoldenEar and Energy Take 5 Classic satelites, Oppo 203 and the Ocean Digital WR -10 internnet tuner with 99 presets. Three subwoofers include two cylindrical SVS PB 2000 12" in the front and one SVS PB 2000 rectangular in the back corner.

In the future I would like my new AVR to feed one center, and the following L and R speakers: fronts, front wides (new), sides, backs and heights.

This will require a 13.2 system. My AVR is limited to 11.2 internal amps. So I plan to add 3 external amps. I'm considering the Monolith 3 or 5 and Anthem MCS 325 ot 525.

I'm limited to one pair of heights. Presently my Marantz 8012 feeds two wall mounted heights. They contribute so little to 2 ch music in surround mode, regardless of the applied volume. I considered eliminating all heights. I was advised otherwise. "A pair of heights do so much in expanding the width and depth of the soundstage, especially when listening to 2 ch music in the surround mode."

So I will include a pair of heights. What's best, two wall mounted heights, or two ceiling heights?
Some home theater enthusiasts employ as many as six heights. Why so Many? Because the room is large? To best meet the needs of large audiances?

My room is 14 feet wide and 23 feet deep. My ears are 14 feet from the front, leaving 9 feet from the rears. My audience will consist mostly of two people. Where should I place the two heights? How many feet from the front? The back? How wide apart? Your support will be greatly appreciated.
You might want to keep your posts a lot shorter and ask 1 or 2 questions at a time, then move on to a different question.

My HT room is 22' wide x 26' long x 14' high. Yet my system is 5.1.4. So it doesn't matter what others do with their rooms.

Quantity (# speakers) doesn't equal Quality.

Height speakers are usually on walls, Atmos speakers are usually on ceilings.

Now I can't' remember what your questions are. :D

Oh, yeah, for amps, PENG said he preferred Anthem. Someone else would say Monolith or whatever else.

If you want Marantz AVR, I would use the AVR for all the speakers. Then get a Marantz 2Ch or 5Ch amp for the surround speakers.

As for Yamaha, I love Yamaha and that's what I use now. But I doubt they will make a 13CH AVR or pre-pro or Amp. But I don't see the desire for more than 5.1.4 anyway.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Come on guys, I can’t keep running to the store for popcorn so I can enjoy these rants with a snack. My cholesterol numbers are on all your heads!:p
I enjoy it just fine even without any popcorn. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think Ryan is right, it would serve you better if you start your own thread, but for now let me try a point by point approach to your questions based on my limited knowledge and experience.

Most likely there won't be any Denon flagship receiver for 2020, Marantz's may offer one but may still be limited to 11 channels like the SR8012 (just my educated guess). The year is still young so you are going to have to wait and see.

If you don't want to wait, I think you can probably secure a AVR-X8500H at very decent discount now that some of the 2020 models are out, albeit those are non flag ship models. That unit should be able to power all 13 speakers but for peace of mind you can simply add the MCA 325 to power the FL/FR/C speakers. It would definitely be an upgrade to the SR8012 in terms of sound quality related specs., on paper anyway, better specs won't likely mean audible benefits because the SR8012 has distortions and other specs below the threshold of audibility already, unless you push it to beyond its limits. One caveat is, while Denon promised upgrade to 8K HDMI 2.1, you have to send it out to get done. But do you really need 8K, and do you trust any first generations so called 8K ready? I don't, based on what happened to those so called 4K ready devices back a few years ago.

Questions: 1) your SR8012 has 11 channel amps so why would you plan on adding 3 external amps? Even if you do, you can't run 13.1 either, how?

2) your future AVR can of course have 13 channel amps, but then again, why would you need 3 external amps? If you want more headroom for the front channels, you only a 3 channel amplifier such as the Anthem MCA325 or Monolith 200 WX3, so what am I missing?

I am sure large room is a factor, but it may be true that some people just believe more is better.

Here's a link to some 13 channel configurations for you to choose from:

Again, click on the link above to see some options. In additional, Dolby's website also provides some examples:

Dolby's actually provided the recommended positions so that should answer you questions about distances. See any example below, copies paste from the Dolby support article in the first link above.

View attachment 37414
@PENG
I was trying to share links to the dolby white papers on a thread(maybe this one as well). These are more detailed and info more granular than the generic pic you have here. I had them saved as separate tabs on my browser. But now when I select them, it brings me to the generic site that anyone can go to. Dolby.com. What gives? Why can’t we see the white papers anymore? There far more useful imo.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Anyway, about the new Denons, I'm going to pass. I'll save up for new gear in a few years. As for you cult members, you need help. Maybe I can help you. Please, take this flower...;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
According to the definition that was given earlier he is! Moreso than I am!
Did we ever establish a definition of an Amir Dongle Cult member? :D

Like someone who thinks he can actually hear distortion greater than 0.003% (-90dB)? :D

@PENG and I brought up the magic "90dB" number a few posts back.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did we ever establish a definition of an Amir Dongle Cult member? :D

Like someone who thinks he can actually hear distortion greater than 0.003% (-90dB)? :D

@PENG and I brought up the magic "90dB" number a few posts back.
Not me, your new BFF did!
Did you even read what Amir wrote? He can disagree with anyone he wants. I couldn't care less about Amir and his cult followers. I do care about someone trying to damage Gene's professional reputation by stating Gene is propping up a poorly engineered product for financial compensation. Let me guess another cult member from Amir who thinks he can be a wolf in sheep's clothing over on this site.
That was a reply to me that started the whole cult talk to begin with, and I don't even have an account over there nor do I ever visit. If that makes me a "cult member" what does it make someone with an account who posted all through the thread in question??

In fact I just now looked at the thread everyone is up in arms over and... wow. I just can't understand why they would ban such a fine upstanding person as your new friend, lol.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes, this thing has taken on a life of its own. Anyway, I would like to return to a nice Denon at some point. But, that one 8K HDMI port this year still bugs me. I remember having a Denon 988 and it having just two HDMI ports. I wore the labels off of the back of it swapping HDMI cables back and forth because I had too many devices to hook up to it. I may look at getting the next gen gaming consoles and a new TV in a couple of years and I do not want to play cable swap again. Oh, and those numbers, Amir was right. The Dongled one is always right. Wait, what the hell is happening?!!!o_O

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yikes, this thing has taken on a life of its own. Anyway, I would like to return to a nice Denon at some point. But, that one 8K HDMI port this year still bugs me. I remember having a Denon 988 and it having just two HDMI ports. I wore the labels off of the back of it swapping HDMI cables back and forth because I had too many devices to hook up to it. I may look at getting the next gen gaming consoles and a new TV in a couple of years and I do not want to play cable swap again. Oh, and those numbers, Amir was right. The Dongled one is always right. Wait, what the hell is happening?!!!o_O
You my friend, have been secretly indoctrinated. Just like I was, I didn't even realize it! :eek:

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
I didn’t ‘attack’ you, or say anything about Amir being any sort of person. You are a liar, go look at my comments on ASR. I simply said that I wished you’d go away, and I still do. Your tone and attitude are a jarring unpleasantness in two very pleasant and helpful forums.

Ah, just found the ‘Ignore’ feature. Much better now.
Thank you for reminding me of this feature.. never use it... actually this is the first time on any forum.... I visit avsforum, audiosciencereview, and audioholics. I enjoy all of them for different reasons. However desperate times... I now have exactly 1 member on my ignore list here and avsforum...After providing a ton of leeway banned at ASR as well.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast
I think Ryan is right, it would serve you better if you start your own thread, but for now let me try a point by point approach to your questions based on my limited knowledge and experience.

Most likely there won't be any Denon flagship receiver for 2020, Marantz's may offer one but may still be limited to 11 channels like the SR8012 (just my educated guess). The year is still young so you are going to have to wait and see.

If you don't want to wait, I think you can probably secure a AVR-X8500H at very decent discount now that some of the 2020 models are out, albeit those are non flag ship models. That unit should be able to power all 13 speakers but for peace of mind you can simply add the MCA 325 to power the FL/FR/C speakers. It would definitely be an upgrade to the SR8012 in terms of sound quality related specs., on paper anyway, better specs won't likely mean audible benefits because the SR8012 has distortions and other specs below the threshold of audibility already, unless you push it to beyond its limits. One caveat is, while Denon promised upgrade to 8K HDMI 2.1, you have to send it out to get done. But do you really need 8K, and do you trust any first generations so called 8K ready? I don't, based on what happened to those so called 4K ready devices back a few years ago.

Questions: 1) your SR8012 has 11 channel amps so why would you plan on adding 3 external amps? Even if you do, you can't run 13.1 either, how?

2) your future AVR can of course have 13 channel amps, but then again, why would you need 3 external amps? If you want more headroom for the front channels, you only a 3 channel amplifier such as the Anthem MCA325 or Monolith 200 WX3, so what am I missing?

I am sure large room is a factor, but it may be true that some people just believe more is better.

Here's a link to some 13 channel configurations for you to choose from:

Again, click on the link above to see some options. In additional, Dolby's website also provides some examples:

Dolby's actually provided the recommended positions so that should answer you questions about distances. See any example below, copies paste from the Dolby support article in the first link above.

View attachment 37414
I miscounted the number of channels needed to meet my needs. You are correct. Eleven channels are needed. I will not need an external amp. I greatly appreciate your suggestions for further exploring speaker placements. The Dolby links will be pursued. Thanks.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast
You might want to keep your posts a lot shorter and ask 1 or 2 questions at a time, then move on to a different question.

My HT room is 22' wide x 26' long x 14' high. Yet my system is 5.1.4. So it doesn't matter what others do with their rooms.

Quantity (# speakers) doesn't equal Quality.

Height speakers are usually on walls, Atmos speakers are usually on ceilings.

Now I can't' remember what your questions are. :D

Oh, yeah, for amps, PENG said he preferred Anthem. Someone else would say Monolith or whatever else.

If you want Marantz AVR, I would use the AVR for all the speakers. Then get a Marantz 2Ch or 5Ch amp for the surround speakers.

As for Yamaha, I love Yamaha and that's what I use now. But I doubt they will make a 13CH AVR or pre-pro or Amp. But I don't see the desire for more than 5.1.4 anyway.
I miscounted speakers needed to meet my needs. You are correct. 11 channels will do it. No need for external needs. Thanks for catching my error.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis