Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm looking forward to upgrading my home theater late 2020 or early 2021 when new flagship AVRs from Marantz and Yahama will be released for comparison. Denon as already released the x6700h AVR. Doilby will have added wide fronts, DTS Pro and other upgrades.

My listening interests include cable including older movies via amazon prime, 2 Ch classical music via CDs, SACDs and the internet.

My present equipment includes the Marantz 8012 AVR, GoldenEar Triton 5 fronts and center. GoldenEar and Energy Take 5 Classic satelites, Oppo 203 and the Ocean Digital WR -10 internnet tuner with 99 presets. Three subwoofers include two cylindrical SVS PB 2000 12" in the front and one SVS PB 2000 rectangular in the back corner.

In the future I would like my new AVR to feed one center, and the following L and R speakers: fronts, front wides (new), sides, backs and heights.

This will require a 13.2 system. My AVR is limited to 11.2 internal amps. So I plan to add 3 external amps. I'm considering the Monolith 3 or 5 and Anthem MCS 325 ot 525.

I'm limited to one pair of heights. Presently my Marantz 8012 feeds two wall mounted heights. They contribute so little to 2 ch music in surround mode, regardless of the applied volume. I considered eliminating all heights. I was advised otherwise. "A pair of heights do so much in expanding the width and depth of the soundstage, especially when listening to 2 ch music in the surround mode."

So I will include a pair of heights. What's best, two wall mounted heights, or two ceiling heights?
Some home theater enthusiasts employ as many as six heights. Why so Many? Because the room is large? To best meet the needs of large audiances?

My room is 14 feet wide and 23 feet deep. My ears are 14 feet from the front, leaving 9 feet from the rears. My audience will consist mostly of two people. Where should I place the two heights? How many feet from the front? The back? How wide apart? Your support will be greatly appreciated.
This was confusing to follow.
What is your ultimate goal? To fill up as many slots as possible? Atmos?

The most common Atmos recommendation is the Top Front and Top Rear placements will deliver the best result.
Front Height and Rear Height, not so much.

If you do in-ceiling speakers, you can match the Dolby recommendations pretty easily. Otherwise, you can do ceiling mount or wall mount speakers that approximate those recommended placements.

Hit us back with some clarified goals for your system. Since you are talking speaker placement, it might be better still to start a new thread dedicated to your specific needs rather than piggyback on this thread about the New Denon Receiver.

:)

T

tparm

Audioholic
Now Amir says he reached out to Denon to introduce himself and offered to help in any way that he can. After trashing Denon and Sound United for over a week and scorching their design and engineering teams. That is like taking a dump on your neighbor's front porch , letting it sit in the hot sun for a week and then ringing the doorbell to introduce yourself asking if they want help cleaning up the poop on the front porch. How about just don't take a dump on their front porch to start. They would be a lot more helpful. What a class act Amir is. LOL.

You were kicked off ASR because you are obnoxious, make baseless attacks on posters you have no idea their background or experience and are an all around jackass. You single handily shut down a thread on AVS Forums for the same reason. If had anything to do with it you wouldn't be welcomed here either, it appears your goal is to drop in and immediately stir the pot with your second post on every forum. I love this forum and most of the people on Audioholics, your presence has tainted it a bit.

S

Skylarlove1999

Audioholic Intern
You were kicked off ASR because you are obnoxious, make baseless attacks on posters you have no idea their background or experience and are an all around jackass. You single handily shut down a thread on AVS Forums for the same reason. If had anything to do with it you wouldn't be welcomed here either, it appears your goal is to drop in and immediately stir the pot with your second post on every forum. I love this forum and most of the people on Audioholics, your presence has tainted it a bit.
You are an ASR cult member. But please keep telling me about myself. LOL. Your cult leader and his followers started all of this with trying to destroy a brand that has been around for 110 years. I just called him out on his hypocrisy. He decided to pick a fight. He could have chosen to report the numbers and reached out to Denon/Sound United to get their side of things and work with them. Because of me calling him out now he has "reached" out to them. LOL. He could have reported his findings in a respectful constructive manner . Yet you have an issue with me calling him out. Wow are you a huge hypocrite. Not to mention saying Gene was only backing these 2020 Denon AVR'S because he was being financially compensated which Gene reached out to me to state that Denon ended any promotional relationship when Covid started. So good luck with getting me banned. Maybe just use that ignore button. Don't let my facts get in the way of your narrative. Amir reports Measurements in a vacuum and acts like he is an expert. BTW most people including Gene realize Amir doesn't really know the true effects of his measurements on the actual sound quality . When almost every AVR across all brands all "fail" (according to Amir) his "tests " maybe you start to look at the tester and his methodology and whether he is the actual fail. Or just keep believing that all brands consistently produce AVR gear that is "intolerable " as Amir labeled the Denon 4700. But keep genuflecting at Amir. Maybe you can ask him to turn some water into wine for you. LOL. Either way I could not care less about your opinion but please keep posting. I love laughing at your posts.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Come on guys, I can’t keep running to the store for popcorn so I can enjoy these rants with a snack. My cholesterol numbers are on all your heads!:p

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast

The most common Atmos recommendation is the Top Front and Top Rear placements will deliver the best result.

If you do in-ceiling speakers, you can match the Dolby recommendations pretty easily. Otherwise, you can do ceiling mount or wall mount speakers that approximate those recommended placements.

Hit us back with some clarified goals for your system. Since you are talking speaker placement, it might be better still to start a new thread dedicated to your specific needs rather than piggyback on this thread about the New Denon Receiver.

Thank you for your interest in my problem. The Marantz 8012, which I now use, is about 2 years old and I'm eager to see the upcoming replacement. Also interested in the Denon x6700h. I'm interested in improving 2 ch classical music in a surround mode. I'm more interested in Dolby than Atmos. I want to witness the effects the wide fronts have upon the soundstage (not now available on the 8012). And I want to witness the effects the Dolby changes will have upon 2 ch music in the surround mode. With that goal in mind should I set the rear channels to HEIGHT or regular? Should I place the two height speakers on the wall above the fronts? Or should I place these on the ceiling? Where should my heights be placed on the ceiling? My room is 14 wide and 23 deep. My ears are 14' back from the front. So where should the one pair of heights be placed? How far back from the front wall? How far apart from each other?
Some home theater enthusiasts use as many as 6 height speakers. Why so many? To accommodate a larger room? To better serve large audiences?. My home theater will be designed mostly for 2 people.
I prefer that the soundstage be placed mostly in front of me. I wouldn't want to be placed in the center of the symphony.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast

Please check my post # 232 for further clarification of my goals.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast
So you are counting on Marantz to release something like a SR8015 that could do 13.1 channel processing? My guess is that it would still be limited to 11.1 as D+M seems to have decided to let Denon take the 13.1 on the AVR side and Marantz on the AV side.

As for amps, I am biased, I like Anthem's. They don't have the "huge" power supply they claimed to have but for practical use they are more than powerful enough. Monolith's are great, but I prefer Anthem's smart choice to design/built theirs lighter.
Thanks for your response. Happy to hear you prefer the Anthems. Please check my post # 232 for further clarification of my goals. I would like to hear more from you regarding the posed questions.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Took a break for dinner. I have nothing more to say. And apparently I am cult member now. :p I stopped reading at that comment.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your response. Happy to hear you prefer the Anthems. Please check my post # 232 for further clarification of my goals. I would like to hear more from you regarding the posed questions.
I would suggest you start a thread more specific to your needs. You'll get more and better replies.

I'm not sure what your expectations are. I'd be perfectly happy with a SR8012 for music. Plenty of muscle and still current enough for my needs. If you want "better" sound then you'd be much further ahead to look at speakers, subs, placement, room effects, etc. More or different power would just be a lateral move.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast
I would suggest you start a thread more specific to your needs. You'll get more and better replies.

I'm not sure what your expectations are. I'd be perfectly happy with a SR8012 for music. Plenty of muscle and still current enough for my needs. If you want "better" sound then you'd be much further ahead to look at speakers, subs, placement, room effects, etc. More or different power would just be a lateral move.
The 8012 doesn't offer wide fronts. And it doesn't include the Dolby upgrades that will be available in Dec. I'm wondering how these changes will affect 2 ch music in a Dolby surround mode.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Marantz 8012, which I now use, is about 2 years old and I'm eager to see the upcoming replacement
Why?
I use an SR6012 and am in no particular hurry to replace it until I know I can get what I want out of a new device.
I'm interested in improving 2 ch classical music in a surround mode.
What needs improving?
Are you interested in 5.1 Audio mixes? I use some DTS 5.1 Music CDs. They are still mixed according to the standard 5.1/6.1/7.1 layouts that Dolby uses for all their Multichannel setups.
I'm more interested in Dolby than Atmos
Atmos is Dolby.

So, since you keep asking, and YES I read your post, Height speakers and Wide speakers don't carry much content. They are Dodos for the most part. Plumage. Much like the Rear Center of 6.1 content... effectively useless.
In large rooms, Height speakers can carry some of the overhead effect by helping pan more overhead sound from front to back. But as I stated before, if you want to create an overhead layer, the Top Front and Top Back channels are much more effective.

Now, back to your programming: Yes, I've seen many comments that people enjoy using the upmixers for orchestral music. Since most is recorded in Stereo, the upmixer is parsing signals to the Surround speakers around you. It doesn't make me feel like I am necessarily sitting among the musicians (something I used to do, btw), rather it creates more enveloping ambience as one might expect from sitting in a hall with the natural reverb it might offer.
In my book, it isn't very natural, though, and I prefer upmixing Electronic music to orchestral. YMMV.

If you want better sound quality, get better speakers. Electronics and upmixing will not improve on your speakers. they will always be the limiting factor.

My advice is to make certain your current set up is fully optimized. Speaker placement is dialed in fully, and your LP is perfectly placed to take advantage of the acoustics your room has to offer.
Start with the bed layer of speakers... it seems in your case, 7.x. Do not set up other speakers unless those are properly dialed in. Once your bed layer is working to its optimum best, then experiment Atmos placements if you want.
That part can be time consuming, but is FREE.
After that, improve your speakers. This is not free and can get expensive.

Lastly, as I suggested before, you should really move this conversation about speaker set up for your specific needs to a NEW THREAD. You will get more hits and advice than trying to distract from the main topic or other fireworks taking place. It also makes your topic searchable, which will in turn allow others to find this information. It will help you, the site, and others!

Cheers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 8012 doesn't offer wide fronts. And it doesn't include the Dolby upgrades that will be available in Dec. I'm wondering how these changes will affect 2 ch music in a Dolby surround mode.
I think if you're expecting the clouds to part and rays of audio bliss to start beaming down because of a "new" up mixing effect for a surround mode that barely sees any action you're going to be sorely disappointed. I'm still not entirely sure what your goal is here, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to achieve it with a new AVR.

How much time have you put into setting everything up? Are your speakers close to any walls or corners? Toe in? Room correction of any kind? Any manual eq? The SR8012 has one of the better setups for room correction, imo. I have a SR6011 with MultEQ XT32 and got excellent results using it with the $20 app editor. In fact as of today I fully endorse it!

Anyhoo, that's what Ryan means by fully optimizing what you have. I just knuckled down this entire last weekend optimizing, made some significant improvements, and I've had the same receiver for 4 years now. There's a lot you can do to improve sound quality with just proper placement, toe-in, room correction, etc that can keep you busy and yield actual audible improvements.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast
Why?
I use an SR6012 and am in no particular hurry to replace it until I know I can get what I want out of a new device.

What needs improving?
Are you interested in 5.1 Audio mixes? I use some DTS 5.1 Music CDs. They are still mixed according to the standard 5.1/6.1/7.1 layouts that Dolby uses for all their Multichannel setups.

Atmos is Dolby.

So, since you keep asking, and YES I read your post, Height speakers and Wide speakers don't carry much content. They are Dodos for the most part. Plumage. Much like the Rear Center of 6.1 content... effectively useless.
In large rooms, Height speakers can carry some of the overhead effect by helping pan more overhead sound from front to back. But as I stated before, if you want to create an overhead layer, the Top Front and Top Back channels are much more effective.

Now, back to your programming: Yes, I've seen many comments that people enjoy using the upmixers for orchestral music. Since most is recorded in Stereo, the upmixer is parsing signals to the Surround speakers around you. It doesn't make me feel like I am necessarily sitting among the musicians (something I used to do, btw), rather it creates more enveloping ambience as one might expect from sitting in a hall with the natural reverb it might offer.
In my book, it isn't very natural, though, and I prefer upmixing Electronic music to orchestral. YMMV.

If you want better sound quality, get better speakers. Electronics and upmixing will not improve on your speakers. they will always be the limiting factor.

My advice is to make certain your current set up is fully optimized. Speaker placement is dialed in fully, and your LP is perfectly placed to take advantage of the acoustics your room has to offer.
Start with the bed layer of speakers... it seems in your case, 7.x. Do not set up other speakers unless those are properly dialed in. Once your bed layer is working to its optimum best, then experiment Atmos placements if you want.
That part can be time consuming, but is FREE.
After that, improve your speakers. This is not free and can get expensive.

Lastly, as I suggested before, you should really move this conversation about speaker set up for your specific needs to a NEW THREAD. You will get more hits and advice than trying to distract from the main topic or other fireworks taking place. It also makes your topic searchable, which will in turn allow others to find this information. It will help you, the site, and others!

Cheers.
Thanks so much for your informative response. I'm a retired professor, very advanced in years. I absorb things slowly. I wouldn't feel adequate in beginning a speaker placement website.

I know that front speakers can vary greatly in their ability to reveal width, depth and the localization of sound sources. Knowing the size of my room, and my related equipment, what front speakers would you suggest I might employ?
Your lead in to Dolby's expose on speaker placement will be very helpful. Thanks so much for giving me new directions for consideration. I still remain interested in replacing my AVR and witnessing wide fronts.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think if you're expecting the clouds to part and rays of audio bliss to start beaming down because of a "new" up mixing effect for a surround mode that barely sees any action you're going to be sorely disappointed.
This!!!!!

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast
Thanks so much for your informative response. I'm a retired professor, very advanced in years. I absorb things slowly. I wouldn't feel adequate in beginning a speaker placement website.

I know that front speakers can vary greatly in their ability to reveal width, depth and the localization of sound sources. Knowing the size of my room, and my related equipment, what front speakers would you suggest I might employ?
Your lead in to Dolby's expose on speaker placement will be very helpful. Thanks so much for giving me new directions for consideration. I still remain interested in replacing my AVR and witnessing wide fronts.
This will probably be my last home theater configuration. Finances are not a deterring factor. However I do wish to be sensible in my expenditures.
Again, I presently have one center speaker and the following R and L speakers:, fronts, front wall heights (not impressed) sides, rears and three subs. Want to add two wide fronts, reposition the front wall heights (ceiling perhaps?).

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@alkemomo I think your focus on Height and Wide speakers is severely misplaced. Rather than building towards wider acceptance, developers have been moving away from these as best I can tell.
Perhaps as an upmixer, DTS-X: Pro will bring these back, but I wouldn't count on it. Most of the things I've seen show further movement away.

For my money, high quality source material and good wide dispersion speakers are way better of an investment. It doesn't seem that your focus is on Home Theater so much, if at all. SACD and Blu-Ray music recordings are likely the best options, as well as any Hi-Res recordings downloaded direct from specific Orchestras.

Beyond that, again, I go back to speakers. I was fortunate to be turned on to Philharmonic Audio before Dennis retired from active Speaker Production. His work still lives on through Salk Sound, as he is the primary designer for the Crossover and voicing work.
Dennis is a strong proponent of wide dispersion because it makes acoustic performances sound more real. Dennis is a professional Violist, and as a trained performing musician myself, I am in absolute agreement. Moreover, I feel that all music I have listened to in the time I have owned his speakers has been elevated to levels I would not have expected.
Properly set up for simple stereo listening, I find a wide and immersive soundstage. Acoustic performances, especially, are brought back to life for me in a way that makes me feel like I am among the musicians again. (Yes, this is a trite concept, but the point remains... properly setting up your speakers is one of the most important aspects! I don't close my eyes and see Wayne Shorter or Keith Jarret in front of me, rather I feel like I am present at the recording of the event. I hope you understand and appreciate that distinction.)
Along with Wide Dispersion, the other trademark is a flat and accurate Frequency Response. Compared to speakers with elevated bass or treble, or a depressed mid-range response, good speakers should not color the reproduction of the sound they are meant to reproduce.
This has been my little piece of audio bliss. I have the utmost respect for some of the designers that are making their speakers this way. Obviously, Jim Salk is first on my list. Another is Ascend Acoustics: Dave F is a very well respected and talented speaker designer whose gear seems to win almost universal praise. I have also been fortunate to meet Rick Craig from Selah Audio and hear one of his designs (to say I was impressed would be an understatement).
At the end of the day, one can find good speakers in many places, and at many costs. Some are available on the open retail market from Manufacturers like Monitor Audio or KEF... just to name two, or from private boutique Internet Direct companies like the three I mentioned earlier.

It is not my intention to talk you into spending Tens of Thousands of dollars on new gear. Quite the opposite. Certainly, custom made speakers with stunningly dyed rare wood veneer are always a nice fantasy, but no matter the quality of the speaker, an improper set up will render it completely impotent to do what it is capable of doing. Conversely, even mediocre speakers can be enhanced through proper care in setting up ones room.
Yes there is a point where even a mediocre speaker will fail to deliver, but it is in the acoustic interaction between speaker and room that most of the magic resides.
Chasing electronics as a fix is akin to chasing the dragon... no matter the dosage, you will never have that same effect again!

I can only speak for myself when I say that these new AVRs and Processors are very intriguing. Yes, I want something that will meet my specific interests in setting up the speaker arrangement that will work best in my room. Yes, I want something that will allow me to pick and choose which Amps are utilized without an all or nothing switch. Moreover, as a gamer, I want something that will work well over the next generation of console to deliver a top quality AV experience.
But until the right one comes along that meets those needs, I know my Marantz SR6012 is a very good machine. I am quite happy with it's performance, even where it might be limited by some marginal facet that is likely inaudible anyway!
I suspect the same to be true with your SR8012, too!

Best,
R

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This will probably be my last home theater configuration. Finances are not a deterring factor. However I do wish to be sensible in my expenditures.
Again, I presently have one center speaker and the following R and L speakers:, fronts, front wall heights (not impressed) sides, rears and three subs. Want to add two wide fronts, reposition the front wall heights (ceiling perhaps?).
Maybe @TLSguy can drop some thoughts here too. He is a lover of classical music, and also recently finished his 7.2.4 Atmos room. To our surprise, he’s become smitten with DSU(dolby surround). I’ve only glanced over the conversation so I’ll stay out, except to say I also enjoy DSU a lot. I haven’t personally enjoyed wides in the past very much, but many do. Looks like you could benefit from moving the current heights to just in front of the couch(but on the ceiling).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm looking forward to upgrading my home theater late 2020 or early 2021 when new flagship AVRs from Marantz and Yahama will be released for comparison. Denon as already released the x6700h AVR. Doilby will have added wide fronts, DTS Pro and other upgrades.
I think Ryan is right, it would serve you better if you start your own thread, but for now let me try a point by point approach to your questions based on my limited knowledge and experience.

Most likely there won't be any Denon flagship receiver for 2020, Marantz's may offer one but may still be limited to 11 channels like the SR8012 (just my educated guess). The year is still young so you are going to have to wait and see.

If you don't want to wait, I think you can probably secure a AVR-X8500H at very decent discount now that some of the 2020 models are out, albeit those are non flag ship models. That unit should be able to power all 13 speakers but for peace of mind you can simply add the MCA 325 to power the FL/FR/C speakers. It would definitely be an upgrade to the SR8012 in terms of sound quality related specs., on paper anyway, better specs won't likely mean audible benefits because the SR8012 has distortions and other specs below the threshold of audibility already, unless you push it to beyond its limits. One caveat is, while Denon promised upgrade to 8K HDMI 2.1, you have to send it out to get done. But do you really need 8K, and do you trust any first generations so called 8K ready? I don't, based on what happened to those so called 4K ready devices back a few years ago.

In the future I would like my new AVR to feed one center, and the following L and R speakers: fronts, front wides (new), sides, backs and heights.

This will require a 13.2 system. My AVR is limited to 11.2 internal amps. So I plan to add 3 external amps. I'm considering the Monolith 3 or 5 and Anthem MCS 325 ot 525.
Questions: 1) your SR8012 has 11 channel amps so why would you plan on adding 3 external amps? Even if you do, you can't run 13.1 either, how?

2) your future AVR can of course have 13 channel amps, but then again, why would you need 3 external amps? If you want more headroom for the front channels, you only a 3 channel amplifier such as the Anthem MCA325 or Monolith 200 WX3, so what am I missing?

So I will include a pair of heights. What's best, two wall mounted heights, or two ceiling heights?
Some home theater enthusiasts employ as many as six heights. Why so Many? Because the room is large? To best meet the needs of large audiances?
I am sure large room is a factor, but it may be true that some people just believe more is better.

Here's a link to some 13 channel configurations for you to choose from:

My room is 14 feet wide and 23 feet deep. My ears are 14 feet from the front, leaving 9 feet from the rears. My audience will consist mostly of two people. Where should I place the two heights? How many feet from the front? The back? How wide apart? Your support will be greatly appreciated.
Again, click on the link above to see some options. In additional, Dolby's website also provides some examples:

Dolby's actually provided the recommended positions so that should answer you questions about distances. See any example below, copies paste from the Dolby support article in the first link above.

1592916119204.png

S

Skylarlove1999

Audioholic Intern
I think Ryan is right, it would serve you better if you start your own thread, but for now let me try a point by point approach to your questions based on my limited knowledge and experience.

Most likely there won't be any Denon flagship receiver for 2020, Marantz's may offer one but may still be limited to 11 channels like the SR8012 (just my educated guess). The year is still young so you are going to have to wait and see.

If you don't want to wait, I think you can probably secure a AVR-X8500H at very decent discount now that some of the 2020 models are out, albeit those are non flag ship models. That unit should be able to power all 13 speakers but for peace of mind you can simply add the MCA 325 to power the FL/FR/C speakers. It would definitely be an upgrade to the SR8012 in terms of sound quality related specs., on paper anyway, better specs won't likely mean audible benefits because the SR8012 has distortions and other specs below the threshold of audibility already, unless you push it to beyond its limits. One caveat is, while Denon promised upgrade to 8K HDMI 2.1, you have to send it out to get done. But do you really need 8K, and do you trust any first generations so called 8K ready? I don't, based on what happened to those so called 4K ready devices back a few years ago.

Questions: 1) your SR8012 has 11 channel amps so why would you plan on adding 3 external amps? Even if you do, you can't run 13.1 either, how?

2) your future AVR can of course have 13 channel amps, but then again, why would you need 3 external amps? If you want more headroom for the front channels, you only a 3 channel amplifier such as the Anthem MCA325 or Monolith 200 WX3, so what am I missing?

I am sure large room is a factor, but it may be true that some people just believe more is better.

Here's a link to some 13 channel configurations for you to choose from:

Again, click on the link above to see some options. In additional, Dolby's website also provides some examples:

Dolby's actually provided the recommended positions so that should answer you questions about distances. See any example below, copies paste from the Dolby support article in the first link above.

View attachment 37414
Your limited knowledge and experience??? LOL. I would hate to see your response after you have more experience and knowledge. LOL. Thanks for being so thorough in helping this retired professor. Very kind of you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis