Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I’m sure in a few years I’ll be curious about the latest and greatest and 5 inputs with 8k would be about right. I’m more likely to go Yamaha over Denon though. I refuse to use the “smart” TV as the HDMI hub. LOL :)
When HDMI works right it's great but when it Acts up it can be miserable. between CEC and On board control of what ever AVR your using can become a Conflict of interest between the Software's. It is by Choice Not to use HDMI control for the Simple fact the user is in control. Just have to keep all your remotes close by or app on what ever smartphone or Smart remote is Chosen for use. The Simplest thing to do is kiss. :)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Most Golden Ears can't hear it either but yet they Swear by it.
Perhaps human males have a 3rd hidden ear on the lower Torso and the wallet blocks it. Once the wallet is empty from purchasing a high priced external amp the sound system sounds superior? :rolleyes: :cool:

S

Skylarlove1999

Audioholic Intern
There is this wannabe audiophile named Amir Majidimehr , former Microsoft executive with no sound engineering degree who has been badmouthing Gene saying his opinion on the 2020 Denon AVR lineup has been bought and paid for by Sound United. Amir started his Audio Science Review website for notoriety and attention. His most recent trashing of the Denon 4700 is up on his site. If you want to stop on over and stand up for Gene that would be cool. BTW Gene was kind enough to reach out and state any paid promotional relationship with Sound United ended when the pandemic started. Amir just trying to get more attention by being controversial but has now crossed the line into libel.

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
There is this wannabe audiophile named Amir Majidimehr , former Microsoft executive with no sound engineering degree who has been badmouthing Gene saying his opinion on the 2020 Denon AVR lineup has been bought and paid for by Sound United. Amir started his Audio Science Review website for notoriety and attention. His most recent trashing of the Denon 4700 is up on his site. I got banned from his site pretty quickly. If you want to stop on over and stand up for Gene that would be so cool.
Does Gene and/or Audioholics get paid by Denon to promote their products? It seems the FTC came out with a rule that requires disclosure should the reviewer receive compensation for the article/presentation or commissions from sales? Not trying to be difficult, but if you're asking people to get involved in a spat it's good to be informed?

S

Skylarlove1999

Audioholic Intern
Does Gene and/or Audioholics get paid by Denon to promote their products? It seems the FTC came out with a rule that requires disclosure should the reviewer receive compensation for the article/presentation or commissions from sales? Not trying to be difficult, but if you're asking people to get involved in a spat it's good to be informed?
So are you saying you cannot promote a product and still remain objective about its positive attributes and the areas of opportunity for improvement and provide an honest opinion regardless of your promotional relationship? I think Gene has earned his reputation for fair analysis and some former Microsoft executive dragging Gene's good name through the mud is appalling to me.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If Gene can get Denon to bring back “duplicate surround“ mode, bring back input signal display boxes to the left of the display screen, supply a universal remote control for all models and put 8k HDMI jacks in all the way around, I’ll pay him!:cool:

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
So are you saying you cannot promote a product and still remain objective about its positive attributes and the areas of opportunity for improvement and provide an honest opinion regardless of your promotional relationship? I think Gene has earned his reputation for fair analysis and some former Microsoft executive dragging Gene's good name through the mud is appalling to me.
You’re being overly dramatic. Let’s see how Gene’s tests go before passing judgement.

S

Skylarlove1999

Audioholic Intern
You’re being overly dramatic. Let’s see how Gene’s tests go before passing judgement.
Says the guy who was attacking me over on ASR and saying how wonderful a person Amir is. People can go to the site, read and make up their own mind. I find it hilarious that you are a member here . Did you at least let Gene know of the dispersion that Amir has been casting. I am sure Amir edited his own posts already. What do Gene's tests have to do with some wannabe audiophile saying Gene is just a puppet for Denon/Sound United? Absolutely nothing. Nice try though.

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Says the guy who was attacking me over on ASR and saying how wonderful a person Amir is. People can go to the site, read and make up their own mind. I find it hilarious that you are a member here . Did you at least let Gene know of the dispersion that Amir has been casting. I am sure Amir edited his own posts already. What do Gene's tests have to do with some wannabe audiophile saying Gene is just a puppet for Denon/Sound United? Absolutely nothing. Nice try though.
I didn’t ‘attack’ you, or say anything about Amir being any sort of person. You are a liar, go look at my comments on ASR. I simply said that I wished you’d go away, and I still do. Your tone and attitude are a jarring unpleasantness in two very pleasant and helpful forums.

Ah, just found the ‘Ignore’ feature. Much better now.

S

Skylarlove1999

Audioholic Intern
I didn’t ‘attack’ you, or say anything about Amir being any sort of person. You are a liar, go look at my comments on ASR. I simply said that I wished you’d go away, and I still do. Your tone and attitude are a jarring unpleasantness in two very pleasant and helpful forums.

I see on that site you allegiance is to Amir and here you just hang out. Quick make sure you edit your posts on ASR. You really got me with that ignore feature. Thanks for letting the forum know about that feature. LOL. A jarring unpleasantness. Yes speaking the truth to people who are used to having their butt kissed is quite jarring. I think it is your turn on Amir's.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to upgrading my home theater late 2020 or early 2021 when new flagship AVRs from Marantz and Yahama will be released for comparison. Denon as already released the x6700h AVR. Doilby will have added wide fronts, DTS Pro and other upgrades.

My listening interests include cable including older movies via amazon prime, 2 Ch classical music via CDs, SACDs and the internet.

My present equipment includes the Marantz 8012 AVR, GoldenEar Triton 5 fronts and center. GoldenEar and Energy Take 5 Classic satelites, Oppo 203 and the Ocean Digital WR -10 internnet tuner with 99 presets. Three subwoofers include two cylindrical SVS PB 2000 12" in the front and one SVS PB 2000 rectangular in the back corner.

In the future I would like my new AVR to feed one center, and the following L and R speakers: fronts, front wides (new), sides, backs and heights.

This will require a 13.2 system. My AVR is limited to 11.2 internal amps. So I plan to add 3 external amps. I'm considering the Monolith 3 or 5 and Anthem MCS 325 ot 525.

I'm limited to one pair of heights. Presently my Marantz 8012 feeds two wall mounted heights. They contribute so little to 2 ch music in surround mode, regardless of the applied volume. I considered eliminating all heights. I was advised otherwise. "A pair of heights do so much in expanding the width and depth of the soundstage, especially when listening to 2 ch music in the surround mode."

So I will include a pair of heights. What's best, two wall mounted heights, or two ceiling heights?
Some home theater enthusiasts employ as many as six heights. Why so Many? Because the room is large? To best meet the needs of large audiances?

My room is 14 feet wide and 23 feet deep. My ears are 14 feet from the front, leaving 9 feet from the rears. My audience will consist mostly of two people. Where should I place the two heights? How many feet from the front? The back? How wide apart? Your support will be greatly appreciated.

A

alkemomo

Enthusiast

'To my knowledge Gene has not yet bench tested the Denon x4700h. So there is no conflict of opinion.

S

Skylarlove1999

Audioholic Intern
Maybe you should read a little more about about how those rules work before creating posts yourself. Are you a donating member of ASR? Might want to disclose that before your posts on here if you are just to keep in spirit with the FTC rules you mentioned. Denon/Sound United cancelled their financial support of Audioholics when Covid started. Many reviewers would probably be bitter and find something wrong with Denon products after that happened. But Gene's integrity is above reproach so we all know if he endorses a product or scorches a product , his opinion is solely based upon the merits of the product. Good attempt to try and deflect attention off of Amir's unscrupulous behavior. Here is the FTC guidance around sponsorship disclaimers since you clearly don't understand them yourself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There is this wannabe audiophile named Amir Majidimehr , former Microsoft executive with no sound engineering degree who has been badmouthing Gene saying his opinion on the 2020 Denon AVR lineup has been bought and paid for by Sound United. Amir started his Audio Science Review website for notoriety and attention. His most recent trashing of the Denon 4700 is up on his site. I got banned from his site pretty quickly. If you want to stop on over and stand up for Gene that would be so cool.
I have a lot of respect for Gene's professional so I trust he wouldn't fall victim to such tactic (being pitted against another reviewer (edit: I meant assuming inadvertently, and by 3rd parties) who only measures, divide/conquer etc., so it wouldn't really be comparable to begin with as the objectives are quite different imo).. lol..

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amir wrote on 1 post:

“It is not the first time Gene has said that about my testing. It is disappointing.

While he has an Audio Precision analyzer, it is a multichannel one built to lower performance. So he can't accurately replicate my test results.

He also hardly does any testing other than power and an FFT here and there.

Finally, he does have much lower standards than me. He considers a 90 dB SINAD great and that is that. His standards are the reason these products don't perform any better. Had he tested state-of-the-art audio products with a better analyzer, he would have a different outlook on great engineering.

Anyway, let's hope Denon is not pushing him to get some counter PR for him instead of working with us to sort through this.”

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The main difference in philosophy between the two sites seems to be: a) AH typically would present a balanced view, between measured results vs the threshold of audibility and b) feature set that are useful for real world use, c) would include listening test, that obviously is subjective, whereas ASR typically focused only on the measured results.

Besides that, ASR measured more things, such as 32 tones, linearity, filter response and a different presentation of imd etc., whether such measurements are useful or not, such test may reveal more on the overall results of better or worse engineering design and implementation of the dut. AH would measure more than two channel driven output on multichannel devices, whereas ASR typically don't, because their AP apparently could not do more than two channel driven easily, though occasionally he would/could do up to 4 channels by some fiddling (don't know the details of that).

A couple things I believe (just my opoinion) ASR should improve on would include, 1) while the reviewer almost always qualify his harsh comments on anything worse than -90 dB (0.003%) THD+N as "fortunately not that audible", or "not that audible" etc., he should probably tone down some of his comments on the manufacturer's approach, and take on more constructive style so that he could convey the same message that the consumers deserve better engineering and/or quality control via internal testing etc etc.., yet minimize chance of being taken as an just accusation, unfair criticism, without offering constructive criticism that were often buried in the blurbs due to his overall "ton".

I value both sites for their reviews and/or measurements, and would really wish they don't get pit one against the others inadvertently, ymmv..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
He considers a 90 dB SINAD great and that is that. His standards are the reason these products don't perform any
Funny we were composing our posts simultaneously yet we both use that 90 dB as our example, talk about on the same wavelength, it does happen sometimes.:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny we were composing our posts simultaneously yet we both use that 90 dB as our example, talk about on the same wavelength, it does happen sometimes.:D
So that's what it looks like when the smart guys roll out the Twister Mat ... :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis