1st REW SubWoofer measurements

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Your charts look great! Ratbuddyssey sounds like another rabbit hole :). I'm still figuring out REW...I will give it a try this weekend.
I posted some procedure for using it with Excel in my Editor App users thread if you are interested. It took me less than half an hour to get it within 3 dB peak to peak 20-120 Hz 1/12 smoothing. To get it better than that took me a long time though.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
I would be thrilled to get to get it within 3 dB peak to peak 20-120 Hz 1/12 smoothing. Thanks for the procedure!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I moved my subs around and did the Paradigm PBK calibration and took these measurements.

1-both subs front wall middle spaced 12 inches apart.
2-Both Subs 1-front middle rear back wall middle

It appears to me the front spaced apart is the better graph?
"Front spaced apart..?"

I'm just gonna say your 2nd graph is the better of the 2. This one.

both subs one front middle one rear wall middle.jpg

It needs work, but the null is gone from this one. I like it better than the other one and should be pretty easy to work with.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually, both aren't that bad and shouldn't be too much trouble if you eq with either the editor app or a MiniDSP 2x4 HD.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
I am going to stick with your choice of 2nd graph and massage it.
Next question...I notice on 2 channel music with the subs that I am lacking the fullness and low end percussion punch I would expect from this system. As an example (that may not be valid...)when I listen to the same music in my car on a Harmon Kardon sound system it sounds fuller with more punch especially in the drums and mid range. What speaker combination measurements would I need to take to isolate this perceived thinness in the music?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am going to stick with your choice of 2nd graph and massage it.
Next question...I notice on 2 channel music with the subs that I am lacking the fullness and low end percussion punch I would expect from this system. As an example (that may not be valid...)when I listen to the same music in my car on a Harmon Kardon sound system it sounds fuller with more punch especially in the drums and mid range. What speaker combination measurements would I need to take to isolate this perceived thinness in the music?
It looks like potentially you can in fact level things off to 3 dB peak to peak variation assuming the posted graphs has no smoothing more than 1/12, but it depends on the mid and high FR. If from 100-15,000 Hz does average at around 90 dB then all would be good, if higher than that, it might be tough.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
I used 1/6 smoothing? when measuring 100-15,000 Hz do I measure front mains separately? With or without subs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used 1/6 smoothing? when measuring 100-15,000 Hz do I measure front mains separately? With or without subs?
I prefer 1/12. 1/6 hides too much, imo. When I first start out I don't use any smoothing at all.

This is what I managed over the weekend. This first chart is right after running room correction.

06-22-20 multeq only.jpg

To me that's surprisingly good for only running room correction! I used that sweep and my mini, along with the editor app to end up with this.

06-22-20 final fr.jpg

Once I get it nice and flat, I'll remove the port plug from my subs, flip to eq 2 and turn DEQ on with RLO 10.

06-22-20 house curve.jpg

That's where I have it set mostly for music.

*Edit: That response is with my main speakers plus subs, not just subs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would measure, left with sub, XO 80 Hz, same for the right, and then left+right+sub.
1/6 smoothing is not very useful, 1/12 would be as smooth as I would go. For the bass range, even no smoothing is appropriate.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
I want to get my subs in position before I move onto my mains.

Here are the charts for both subs again with 1/12 smooth

Green=front and rear mid wall 1/12th smoothing
Red=both front mid wall spaced 12 inches apart 1/12 smooth

They seem to have nulls at different frequencies. Which is best to massage?

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those look the same as the ones you posted earlier. My opinion hasn't changed on those charts.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I want to get my subs in position before I move onto my mains.

Here are the charts for both subs again with 1/12 smooth

Green=front and rear mid wall 1/12th smoothing
Red=both front mid wall spaced 12 inches apart 1/12 smooth

They seem to have nulls at different frequencies. Which is best to massage?
Have you run any room correction or anything yet?

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
I prefer 1/12. 1/6 hides too much, imo. When I first start out I don't use any smoothing at all.

This is what I managed over the weekend. This first chart is right after running room correction.

View attachment 37421

To me that's surprisingly good for only running room correction! I used that sweep and my mini, along with the editor app to end up with this.

View attachment 37422

Once I get it nice and flat, I'll remove the port plug from my subs, flip to eq 2 and turn DEQ on with RLO 10.

View attachment 37423

That's where I have it set mostly for music.

*Edit: That response is with my main speakers plus subs, not just subs.
That is an amazingly flat frequency! How many subs and where are they placed in your room? Do you have any room acoustical work done?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is an amazingly flat frequency! How many subs and where are they placed in your room? Do you have any room acoustical work done?
No treatments or acoustical work. Just experimentation, moving stuff arround and a lot of perserverence, lol. I have a tendency to get a little ocd sometimes and that's a plus for this stuff, lol.

I think you should run Audyssey with your subs in the 2nd chart and see where you're at. You might be surprised. My "before" measurements look WAY worse than yours and look what running Audyssey did in my room!

06-22-20 multeq only.jpg

That's just Audyssey! No tweaking with the app or the mini. I've always said I prefer Audyssey for room correction and this is why. To me that's pretty amazing considering what I started with!

You've already done most of the heavy lifting (literally, lol) finding the best spots for your subs and eq'ing them to where they are now. Now it's Audyssey time!

Yes, it's time. Time for you to take that first leap out of the nest and spread your wings. You can do it. You were born for this. Spread your wings and FLY!

:p :p :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis