Looking for some guidance - Troubleshooting REW/Umik-1

K

KhorneWizzard

Audiophyte
Hey there,

Long time viewer/reader, first time poster...

So, I finally got around to buying a Umik-1 from MiniDSP, to see what my system is actually doing. It arrived earlier today. I hooked it up to my pc, read some of the manuals, watched a couple of Matthew's tutorials, and gave it a crack. Made a few rookie mistakes, such as using the wrong calibration profile, then applied it to the soundcard instead of the mic... but managed to get most of it straightened out eventually. Just had a bit of a play with it really.

That brings me to the issues I couldn't solve.

After taking a couple of measurements that looked alright, right around 70db, I set the mic up in a new position further away, and took another reading. The shape of the line looked about right... but it was supposedly 20db louder. Didn't seem likely. My house is no anacholic chamber, but there's definitely not 60db background noise, which the SPL calibration tried to tell me.

Messed aroud some more, found the bit in the REW manual about setting the mic to input, rather than leaving it default. Got some alright sweeps, unplugged it and moved it, and next time I plugged it in nothing. The Mic is not picking up at all.

And that's pretty much where I'm stuck at. Unfortunately, I had to leave it to go to work, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of where to go, what to read, or how to troubleshoot it, so when I get back to it tomorrow, I have somewhere to start.

Thanks,

Ps: Not really useful, but attached a screenshot of the first couple of readings for anyone interested, as they're the only ones I have on my phone so far. Had the wrong calibration file loaded for these. Should have been the 90° offset one instead. Speaker is a Svs Ultra Tower(just the right, I think), Sub is a single PB16. Yes, I know I should have two subs. But I am 27, not made of money, and doing a slow buy as I can afford components. :)

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
Hello to you out there.

Some members suggested I should check other threads for possible help.

If there is a better place to go for this information, let me know.

I have a connection problem.

I have a Denon 3808ci, Oppo DVD/CD player, Denefrinps DAC, Primaluna preamp all connected to a Parasound a21 amp.

Here is the problem. I cannot get the DAC in the mix! When I try, I get NO SOUND.

Does anybody know what the best connection route is?

I tried: Oppo into the Denon receiver, CD/DVD>>>out to DAC>>>DAC analog out to preamp>>>to Parasound.

Does anybody have a DAC along with a tube preamp?

Help...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why on earth would you connect a dac to the Denon? Why use the Denon at all? What kind of connections are you making? HDMI? Optical? Analog?

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
Only On Earth... LOL, lol!!

I need the Denon to provide (steer) for the rest of the home theater stuff.

I got the DAC (and now the tube preamp) because I felt my "system" just didn't sound the way I knew music could. So-----I revamped most all of it.

New speakers--Focal
added a DAC--Denafrips Ares II
and now a new preamp--Primaluna EVO300
I already had a Oppo DVD/CD
and the Denon.

When I went to stores in the area I was consistently told the weak link in the system was the dacs in the Denon.

So. That's where I'm at.

I just need a way to connect it and get the benefits of the DAC (smooth out the digital of the CD's) and then get the bloom of the Primaluna.

Thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 3808, the dac seems to be perfectly fine in my use (with a variety of digital sources but I suppose YMMV. Sales people's opinions I don't find any use for at all, nor tubes for that matter.....all that aside, how are you connecting things? If you want a separate 2ch system, why not just share the speakers between the two with a switch?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Only On Earth... LOL, lol!!

I need the Denon to provide (steer) for the rest of the home theater stuff.

I got the DAC (and now the tube preamp) because I felt my "system" just didn't sound the way I knew music could. So-----I revamped most all of it.

New speakers--Focal
added a DAC--Denafrips Ares II
and now a new preamp--Primaluna EVO300
I already had a Oppo DVD/CD
and the Denon.

When I went to stores in the area I was consistently told the weak link in the system was the dacs in the Denon.

So. That's where I'm at.

I just need a way to connect it and get the benefits of the DAC (smooth out the digital of the CD's) and then get the bloom of the Primaluna.

Thoughts?
Why are you highjacking ANOTHER non-related thread? :p

Start a thread of your own. It s OK. And you will get more help from people seeing your problem described in the title of your very own thread than you will highjacking other threads. :)

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
If I cannot get it to work, I MAY have to do the switch thing.

But I guess some stuborness is within me 'cause I KNOW I should be able to route signals. isn't that all I'm doing in the end? From DVD to Reciever to DAC to preamp to amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you highjacking ANOTHER non-related thread? :p

Start a thread of your own. It s OK. And you will get more help from people seeing your problem described in the title of your very own thread than you will highjacking other threads. :)
LOL thought it was his thread, but he did start another, so back to you @KhorneWizzard

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis