Power rating for "multichannel stereo" mode in receivers

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Audioholics-
Has anyone researched the following? If a receiver is rated for 150 Watts/channel into 8 ohms, 2 channel driven, how many Watts is it per channel for 4 channels or 5 channels when driven in "multistereo" mode (i.e., the source is down mixed to 2 channels and output from all speakers).

Thank you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Audioholics-
Has anyone researched the following? If a receiver is rated for 150 Watts/channel into 8 ohms, 2 channel driven, how many Watts is it per channel for 4 channels or 5 channels when driven in "multistereo" mode (i.e., the source is down mixed to 2 channels and output from all speakers).

Thank you.
Probably about 40 watts per channel at the most, if the speakers are 4 ohm, which most are no matter what they are rated, then 20 watts. Using it that way is also a very good way to destroy modern receivers. There should be no multi stereo mode. That needs to go, so don't use it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I doubt many even care about that since it's not a realistic scenario. Music is 2 channel and I don't know of any multi channel content that blasts all speakers, full range simultaneously. Surround speakers are just there for effect and don't really play continuously.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Marantz publishes a guarantee of 70% of the 2 channel power rating for an all channel driven situation on most of their AVRs.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
Probably about 40 watts per channel at the most, if the speakers are 4 ohm, which most are no matter what they are rated, then 20 watts. Using it that way is also a very good way to destroy modern receivers. There should be no multi stereo mode. That needs to go, so don't use it.
I agree on the 4 ohm speakers part. Definitely a good way to fry your receiver or at the least making it go into auto protect all the time. But that generally only comes into play at high listening levels or maybe playing "Bass Mechanix" at medium levels with everything set to large.
Also those that have high efficiency speakers can get more volume before the receiver runs out of steam as well.

The (that needs to go/don't use it) really is not helpful as I and many others like that mode for background music and I am sure a lot of people use it without problems.

I have read some in depth reviews on receivers that tested for exactly what the OP was asking about. Off the top of my head I would say you can expect to get between 20% to 30% of the rated power into 7 channels. If you throw in more channels then IMO all bets are off.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Marantz publishes a guarantee of 70% of the 2 channel power rating for an all channel driven situation on most of their AVRs.
That does not pass the sniff test. That would require at least a 700 watt power supply and that would be assuming above average efficiency.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I doubt many even care about that since it's not a realistic scenario. Music is 2 channel and I don't know of any multi channel content that blasts all speakers, full range simultaneously. Surround speakers are just there for effect and don't really play continuously.
I don't think you understand the multistereo mode too well. I have a carefully tweaked multistereo 4.2 setup that sounds uuuuggeee...it's a cheaper way to mimic that uuggee sound from several hundred thousand dollar 2 channel systems if you got it right IMO. I had a power amp plugged into the receiver pre-outs for the front 2 channels until now to guarantee power. Speakers are 87 db sensitive , 6 ohms with a 100 hz dip down to 5 ohms. Last night's storm took out my power amp (forgot to unplug it). Hence, i've been contemplating getting another power amp or sticking with the receiver as is for now (the reason i posted this question).

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't think you understand the multistereo mode too well. I have a carefully tweaked multistereo 4.2 setup that sounds uuuuggeee...it's a cheaper way to mimic that uuggee sound from several hundred thousand dollar systems if you got it right IMO. I had a power amp plugged into the receiver pre-outs for the front 2 channels until now to guarantee power. Speakers are 87 db sensitive , 6 ohms with a 100 hz dip down to 5 ohms. Last night's storm took out my power amp (forgot to unplug it). Hence, i've been contemplating getting another power amp or sticking with the receiver as is for now (the reason i posted this question).
Oh I understand it. It destroys any soundstage or imaging that you'd get from stereo. In fact, there is no stereo image when you use 5 or all channel stereo and that completely ruins it for me. What I don't understand is what "uuggee" sound is. If it describes 5 speakers blaring all the same info at the same time with no stereo image and that's what you're after then I guess you did well...

*Edit: If I were you instead of buying an amp I would look for a pair of speakers that sound "uuggee" without destroying the soundstage and imaging.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Oh I understand it. It destroys any soundstage or imaging that you'd get from stereo. In fact, there is no stereo image when you use 5 or all channel stereo and that completely ruins it for me. What I don't understand is what "uuggee" sound is. If it describes 5 speakers blaring all the same info at the same time with no stereo image and that's what you're after then I guess you did well...
A center channel can mess things up. But, when with 4 channels set up right, you can trick your senses. No soundstage?? completely false...do some tinkering for yourself and come back. Hearsay will not be accepted.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic

*Edit: If I were you instead of buying an amp I would look for a pair of speakers that sound "uuggee" without destroying the soundstage and imaging.
If your room's not a closet and fairly large, do as follows on multistereo mode. Report back on the soundstage and all encompassing immersive ecstasy. Uuuggeee Uuggeeee....Uuuuugeeee mmhmm.

Attachments

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Multi-Channel Stereo is how I run my music most of the time. It provides 360 degree sound while also maintaining stereo left and right imaging. I'm using the Denon 4500 with a separate amp for the front L/R speakers and the rest of the 11.1 setup on the Denon amp. Denon stays cool and sound is awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A center channel can mess things up. But, when with 4 channels set up right, you can trick your senses. No soundstage?? completely false...do some tinkering for yourself and come back. Hearsay will not be accepted.
You're funny.

207_copy_640x480.jpeg
206_copy_640x480.jpeg

4.2 sounds like a mess to me. I'll admit that there was some imaging going on but it's a mess. Switching back to stereo sounds so much better. If I want bigger sound then I turn my volume up. But then I have some pretty decent speakers and don't need to rely on multi channel setups to "mimic" good sound. I got speakers that just plain sound good. If I didn't have good speakers then I would put my money and focus there long before buying additional amplification and destroying the soundstage and imaging.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Multi-Channel Stereo is how I run my music most of the time. It provides 360 degree sound while also maintaining stereo left and right imaging. I'm using the Denon 4500 with a separate amp for the front L/R speakers and the rest of the 11.1 setup on the Denon amp. Denon stays cool and sound is awesome.
There's left and right panning but the image is all over the place. I'm listening to it right now...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a separate amp also for my front 3, but it's not because I run all channel stereo or think it's going to offer any sonic improvements. I just wanted a nice amp, and I'm glad I have it now because the speakers I just ordered are 4 ohm speakers and my Marantz runs hot enough with 8 ohm speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Audioholics-

Thank you.
Apparently for D+M, you can expect approx.70 %. Keep in mind MCH stereo will sound much louder than channel, so you will likely turn the volume down anyway.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Apparently for D+M, you can expect approx.70 %. Keep in mind MCH stereo will sound much louder than channel, so you will likely turn the volume down anyway.
So, are there significant variations between what the different manufacturers offer for this multistereo spec? (even when they spec a certain power for 2 channels driven). Let's stick with the flagship receivers of any brand for this discussion.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmmm I have nothing relevant to post to this thread I just really want to know

WHAT the heck is uugeee? Am I spelling that right?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmmm I have nothing relevant to post to this thread I just really want to know

WHAT the heck is uugeee? Am I spelling that right?
I took it to possibly mean "huge" but I think the spelling is pretty close to "ugly" also, and based on my experience that's the more accurate descriptor so that's what I'm going with. ;)

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
There's left and right panning but the image is all over the place. I'm listening to it right now...
??!! Did you look at my attached schematic for placement on the previous comment??!! I assume you have the typical placement for surrounds (meant for simpletons)!!! I'm trying to make you ecstatic while contributing significant savings to your wallet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
??!! Did you look at my attached schematic for placement on the previous comment??!! I assume you have the typical placement for surrounds (meant for simpletons)!!! I'm trying to make you ecstatic while contributing significant savings to your wallet.
Well, I'm already pretty ecstatic with the sound I have now so you're a bit late. Savings? What savings??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis