Polk Audio Legend L200 Bookshelf and L400 Center Speaker Review

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I meant exotic as in aesthetics only. These speakers look nice but a bit reserved compared to a few others in their price range. My guess is that some of the people shopping for speakers in this range will want something more snazzy for the money spent. These look classy without being gaudy.
Thanks for Clarify James appreciate it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant exotic as in aesthetics only. These speakers look nice but a bit reserved compared to a few others in their price range. My guess is that some of the people shopping for speakers in this range will want something more snazzy for the money spent. These look classy without being gaudy.
The grill off appearance isn't appealing....that woofer cone material just bothers me but then I usually leave grills on as I don't find drivers all that much for appearances....

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Everything depends on your preference and personal taste.

I guess some people prefer square box shape speakers and some prefer more curvy shape speakers.

I hated when KEF went from the 207/2 to Reference 5 towers or 201/2 to Reference 1 bookshelf.

KEF 207/2:

KEF Reference 5:

I am glad B&W didn’t change from the 800/802D to some boxy square speakers.
When it comes to Speaker cabinets, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some are Works of art really. high-end can have a Abstract look. Box’ look speakers may not appeal to a lot doesn’t Necessarily mean the performance will get you box sound. There in it self is “Box” look Analogy.

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I wonder how these new Polk bookshelf speakers would fare against their previous LSiM series in controlled listening tests.

The new ones appear to have a more expensive tweeter. But the speaker is now a two-way instead of a three-way (the new one's more expensive tweeter probably allows a lower crossover point which then allows removal of the midrange driver).

The cabinet is now more rectangular, which *may* mean it's less expensive to build.

The new woofer appears to have a stamped steel basket instead of a cast aluminum basket, which *may* mean that it too is less expensive to build.

And finally, with it being a two-way instead of a three-way, it might be that the crossover is now less expensive too.

So what we *might* be looking at is a speaker that lists $300 more than its predecessor but costs less to build. Admittedly, this is based on A LOT of conjecture on my part and may or may not be at all accurate.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder how these new Polk bookshelf speakers would fare against their previous LSiM series in controlled listening tests.

The new ones appear to have a more expensive tweeter. But the speaker is now a two-way instead of a three-way (the new one's more expensive tweeter probably allows a lower crossover point which then allows removal of the midrange driver).

The cabinet is now more rectangular, which *may* mean it's less expensive to build.

The new woofer appears to have a stamped steel basket instead of a cast aluminum basket, which *may* mean that it too is less expensive to build.

And finally, with it being a two-way instead of a three-way, it might be that the crossover is now less expensive too.

So what we *might* be looking at is a speaker that lists $300 more than its predecessor but costs less to build. Admittedly, this is based on A LOT of conjecture on my part and may or may not be at all accurate.
All Valid points, plus Polks LSiM line is Discounted which most Speaker manufacturers do, clear out the discontinued line.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I like the looks of the walnut cabinets, but the power ports on these look awkwardly big and bulky.

The center channel appears to be a very solid performer, albeit a bit pricey (ok, very pricey for my frugal standards).

Thanks for the review & measurements, shadyJ.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
All Valid points, plus Polks LSiM line is Discounted which most Speaker manufacturers do, clear out the discontinued line.
I think the LSiMs are mostly gone now. But at their closeout prices, they were a real bargain compared to the pricing of these new ones.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I think the LSiMs are mostly gone now. But at their closeout prices, they were a real bargain compared to the pricing of these new ones.
I agree, still some out there, after that Ebay for used.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When it comes to Speaker cabinets, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some are Works of art really. high-end can have a Abstract look. Box’ look speakers may not appeal to a lot doesn’t Necessarily mean the performance will get you box sound. There in it self is “Box” look Analogy.
True. It’s 100% personal taste. Can’t please everyone.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
True. It’s 100% personal taste. Can’t please everyone.
ADTG, Taste can also lead to Buyers remorse to without fully Researching . Take Genes video on one of his Threads. About Truth in Audio. One should know or want to know before spending a lot of money on a very Expensive purchase in Audio.
That right there is a Achilles’ heel” That I believe many including Audio enthusiast, Audiophiles and many AudioPhiles have, You, me and a few others here on AH. When you Purchased your Denon pre-pro I’m sure you Researched that unit. Gene no doubt Researched his Emotiva amp. I also did the same thing with my Buyers remorse. Even one’s who have been in the hobby for years knee deep in audio can get Scooped. Guy’s like Gene, James “ ShadyJ, and other’s that Gene employs are here to help lessen and help with learning so even the very best of the in this audio/video hobby to Minimize buyers remorse.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These new speakers do not have the ridiculous impedance load of the LSiM speakers. The LSiM speakers needed an amp that was very comfortable with low impedance loads. For these Legend speakers, you don't want to run them on a super cheap amp, but they should be fine with anything better than entry level amps. The LSIM speakers were good speakers (aside from the electrical load), but these Legend speakers can do in a two-way what it took the LSiMs to do in a three-way. The Legend speakers are better speakers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You really aren't screwing around are you guys Shady? First review in a bit and you come out swinging with the Polk legends?

Nice I really like how you checked out the other speakers in the lineup versus the 800's I'm more curious about the rest of the lineup to he honest

That center speaker sounded very impressive from your review

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Polk Audio wowed the audio world with their massive Legend L800 tower speakers, but those towering speakers have overshadowed the fact that Polk released other speakers in the Legend series also, although those other speakers did not boast Polk’s SDA technology. While the L800’s SDA technology was indeed impressive, we found the L800s to be a good loudspeaker in a multitude of other ways as well, so it stood to reason that the other speakers in the Legend series should have the same high level of engineering. We decided to put that theory to test, so in for review today we have the Polk Audio Legend L200 bookshelf speakers and L400 center channel speaker. Let’s dive in to explore these speakers and then listen to them and measure them to see if they keep the promises they make as a part of Polk’s flagship series…

READ: Polk Legend L200 Bookshelf and L400 Center Speaker Review
Thanks for another great review. And thanks for the music recommendation. Never heard of Kandace Springs. I now have all her albums in my curation.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ryan
Man I'm so with you on this one Ryan Shady is being very mean to us in my opinion. More then usual!
Look Ryan he even agrees with us he's being mean he linked it in the like section!

This is just too much somebody has to reign this guy in!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ryan

Look Ryan he even agrees with us he's being mean he linked it in the like section!

This is just too much somebody has to reign this guy in!
And all I did is ask if he Listened to them, yet. Nothing about his thoughts! ;)

He probably has them boxed up and is using them as a makeshift coffee table while kicking back, drinking a beer, and enjoying those Polks.
:p

:cool:

BTW: Love you, Shady! :)
1589494585429.png

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Stereophile review with measurements of the little brother Polk L100 bookshelf speakers here:

Stereophile Review of Polk L100

Looks like a little bit of a tough impedance, plus a big resonance can be seen on the port output around 700Hz.

I wonder if the bump ShadyJ saw in the response of the L200 speakers around 500-600Hz is also a port resonance showing up for that speaker?

Also, the ring radiator tweeter's dispersion is quite narrow, with it dropping off to the sides (beaming) starting as low as around 5kHz.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Stereophile review with measurements of the little brother Polk L100 bookshelf speakers here:

Stereophile Review of Polk L100

Looks like a little bit of a tough impedance, plus a big resonance can be seen on the port output around 700Hz.

I wonder if the bump ShadyJ saw in the response of the L200 speakers around 500-600Hz is also a port resonance showing up for that speaker?

Also, the ring radiator tweeter's dispersion is quite narrow, with it dropping off to the sides (beaming) starting as low as around 5kHz.
I did do near-field measurements of the L200, and I do see some evidence of a resonance at around 500Hz in a near-field measurement of the port. That may be cause for that off-axis peak in that range. I am guessing it is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis