Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers RAAL Tweeters

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you’re like me, and this isn’t a trivial purchase considering the lack of a zero cost shipping return policy, I understand your apprehension when pulling the trigger. That said, I’m very happy with my towers and they continue to reveal details in my music that I’ve never heard before.
Yeah, it's not a trivial purchase. I mulled over the decision for a couple of weeks while I switched back and forth between the Sierra 2s and my Ultra towers.

I've had the 2s for a couple of weeks now so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the towers. They were a Craigslist find and I only paid $650 for them! I already knew of them and what they sell for new so I couldn't resist. Heh, Craigslist sold a pair of towers for Dave!

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, it's not a trivial purchase. I mulled over the decision for a couple of weeks while I switched back and forth between the Sierra 2s and my Ultra towers.

I've had the 2s for a couple of weeks now so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the towers. They were a Craigslist find and I only paid $650 for them! I already knew of them and what they sell for new so I couldn't resist. Heh, Craigslist sold a pair of towers for Dave!
The Sierra Towers convinced me to upgrade to Amazon Music HD (auditioned Tidal and Qobuz), and unfortunately reinforced my disdain for poorly recorded music. I can’t blame the poorly recorded music on any part of my audio chain though.

The 2s and you Ultra Towers are completely different beasts. What differences did you notice?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What will you do for your center channel?
I haven't decided yet. Kicked around using one of the S2s for a while, but then the other one would sit unused and that doesn't sit right with me. Might just go phantom for a while til I squirrel enough away for a center.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Sierra Towers convinced me to upgrade to Amazon Music HD (auditioned Tidal and Qobuz), and unfortunately reinforced my disdain for poorly recorded music. I can’t blame the poorly recorded music on any part of my audio chain though.

The 2s and you Ultra Towers are completely different beasts. What differences did you notice?
It's tough for me to describe. Like I lack the vocabulary for it and I don't relate to a lot of the flowery buzz terms. Clarity and detail is what I keep coming back to. The Ultras are more laid back. I prefer them with a little eq to wake them up. The S2s might be the first speaker I've had in my setup that I think sounds as good in pure direct as it does with a little bit of eq. I can see me limiting Audyssey so it only eq's bass frequencies from say, about 300 Hz and down when I dial the towers in. We'll see.

I definitely prefer the sound of the RAALs, but I will say I'm not as disappointed as I expect to be when I hook the towers back up. The thought of seeing them replaced kinda breaks my heart, lol.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It's tough for me to describe. Like I lack the vocabulary for it and I don't relate to a lot of the flowery buzz terms. Clarity and detail is what I keep coming back to. The Ultras are more laid back. I prefer them with a little eq to wake them up. The S2s might be the first speaker I've had in my setup that I think sounds as good in pure direct as it does with a little bit of eq. I can see me limiting Audyssey so it only eq's bass frequencies from say, about 300 Hz and down when I dial the towers in. We'll see.

I definitely prefer the sound of the RAALs, but I will say I'm not as disappointed as I expect to be when I hook the towers back up. The thought of seeing them replaced kinda breaks my heart, lol.
Isn't it amazing the attachment you can get to a set of speakers? I know it will be bittersweet when I replace my BA's, they've been with me for so long. The good thing is that they'll be going to a friend, so I know that I can at least still visit them. LOL

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I posted this thread early this morning and judging from the tumbleweeds blowing through here over the last 7 hours I was beginning to think maybe I made a big mistake...
No... most of us were thinking there's no way to ask if you want to trade without it coming out wrong. :D :D

K

kyzer soze

Enthusiast

What center speaker are you thinking of using with your raal towers? I went from svs ultra towers to a pair of Sierra 2's to then five Sierra 2's with Rythmik sub. If you're ever interested in selling those Sierra 2's please let me know i'd be willing to pay alittle extra :).

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What center speaker are you thinking of using with your raal towers? I went from svs ultra towers to a pair of Sierra 2's to then five Sierra 2's with Rythmik sub. If you're ever interested in selling those Sierra 2's please let me know i'd be willing to pay alittle extra :).
I haven't decided yet. Kicked around using one of the S2s for a while, but then the other one would sit unused and that doesn't sit right with me. Might just go phantom for a while til I squirrel enough away for a center.
I asked the same question not too long ago. ;)

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
I went with the Duo LCR due to size constraints. If size wasn’t an issue for me I would have probably went with the Horizon. HT means little to me, as 2.2 channel is where I’m focused. When music sounds great then HT is just icing on the cake and has always been good enough for me.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
I was going to go with the Luna to go along with my new Sierra towers (w/raal)....but there was down time (3 months) between when I ordered and when they finally shipped and in that time I talked myself into the Horizon. It meant buying a new stand (couple hundred on Wayfair) and wall mounting my TV so it fit on top. I do not regret the decision; the Horizon is basically like having a third tower pulling center duty, and movies sound excellent.
Definitely worth saving up for!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was going to go with the Luna to go along with my new Sierra towers (w/raal)....but there was down time (3 months) between when I ordered and when they finally shipped and in that time I talked myself into the Horizon. It meant buying a new stand (couple hundred on Wayfair) and wall mounting my TV so it fit on top. I do not regret the decision; the Horizon is basically like having a third tower pulling center duty, and movies sound excellent.
Definitely worth saving up for!
This is probably where I'll end up as well. If I got the Luna or something smaller I'd always be asking myself why I didn't just get the Horizon. I have the space, sit pretty far from the front stage and I have lots of good, clean power. If there's one thing I've learned with this hobby it's to make sure you get it right the first time. Upgrading through tiers of speakers until you get to the top is a whole lot more expensive than just getting the top from the start. I know me and I wouldn't be able to "settle".
A little extra what? More than retail? Maybe... :p

5 minutes into listening the the S2s I knew they weren't going anywhere. For what I paid for them I don't think I could part with them. Most likely they'll end up pulling surround duty once I get the towers set up. Or I might even blow the dust off my spare receiver and set them up in a small spare room and do a nice little 2.1 music only setup. As impressed as I am hearing them in our huge great room I'll bet they'll perform even better in a small room. I think a guy might could even get away without a sub for a music only system.

Nice try tho! I'll keep you in mind should I change mine. ;)

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Congrats on the towers. The RAAL tweeter was the reason that the Sierra Towers (black bamboo) were on my short list. Until I went nuts and tripled my budget. (keep saying - I like ramen). In fact, the Song 3's were also on the list, but only because I was interested in a stupid-fancy cabinet. But, having zero speakers was a deciding factor in the end. Especially mixed in with a lockdown and my already tenuous mental condition.

I'm also a fan of larger midranges, which the Ascend have. Even if the Salk had faster availability, I had issues with their choice of midrange drivers (and the 3-A's Accuton had its own list of potential issues). Maybe it's just my bias from older speakers, but my past experiences always seemed a smaller midrange sounded congested. I'd only had an opportunity to listen to Ascends a couple of times, both times with RAAL and both times I was really impressed. TBH, I thought they ate the Dynaudios they were compared with alive (not to mention being a fraction of the cost). Same sort of dynamics and speed, but a-i-r.

Thanks for posting that info on the tweeter(s), if that's in their marketing text I missed it. One of the major complaints I've heard in the past is the tweeter completely falling apart on "proper rock played at proper volumes" by some reviewers. I wasn't aware of the power handling differences between the two, or which is used in what product.

TBH, I'd keep those beauties as far away from a nasty old TV set as possible, but I'm a 2-channel curmudgeon anyway. I'd hook 'em up to a sweet little tube amp and turntable, lock the door and settle into my comfy chair with a Scotch.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I have to agree with you about those RAALs. The Sierra 2s I found haven them also and listening to them over the last couple of weeks is what sold me. They're a little bit more transparent and detailed than my Ultras, but I've hit their limits a couple times and after talking with Dave I haven't turned them up past 75-80 dB at my seat.

When I said "reference" and "sit 15' from my speakers" he replied with "tear ribbon" and "void warranty"... lol. No thanks! I'll take a pair of towers pls!

The towers use a beefier ribbon that can handle more power and they have a higher sensitivity than the books or my Ultras, for that matter. They should be able to satisfy my occasional desire to crank up a favorite song or something without melting so that's a big plus!

I'm all excited and can't wait, but they won't be getting their next shipment of the 70-20 xram RAALs until the end of the month so I have a bit of a wait... sigh. Dina, who I spoke with at Ascend said I'm in first position on the waiting list. They'll get the assembly started a few days before they expect the tweets to arrive so as soon as they're in they can finish assembly pretty quick and get 'em shipped.
Can confirm the Towers exceptional power handling.

Ask Dave who has the record for playing the speakers the loudest in his demo room ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Being a "Sierra man" offers a lot of nice avatar images (Sierra Li is pretty nice), but they probably would not play well with his wife!

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Being a "Sierra man" offers a lot of nice avatar images (Sierra Li is pretty nice), but they probably would not play well with his wife!
And here I thought the Sierra Club was something entirely different.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I live in Arizona so there are plenty of "Sierra"s out here I can use for inspiration. I just recently changed that AV too. Might just go back to the old one.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I live in Arizona so there are plenty of "Sierra"s out here I can use for inspiration. I just recently changed that AV too. Might just go back to the old one.
;)
It was fun being quoted in your Sig while it lasted!
:p

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You're the first person I thought about when she said that! Ha ha! How long is your wait? I know it's been a while. It takes time to get those beautiful finishes to come out right!
Salk reopened for business last week! My towers are at the 29% done stage with the veneer applied. My center is now at 23% with the cabinets glued up. You'll probably still get yours before mine, but I'm excited!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis