Why no love for Yamaha speakers ?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Wow. The Yamaha NS-6490 speaker was ranked #1. And both were ranked above Infinity Primus. :D

Yamaha is just a good company all around, right @Gmoney ? ;)
The NS-F901 (which can be picked up for 3k) does things my 20k speakers didn't do. I have yet to run into something that is a notch above these. It is one serious speaker! Maybe the best kept secret in hifi

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The NS-F901 (which can be picked up for 3k) does things my 20k speakers didn't do. I have yet to run into something that is a notch above these. It is one serious speaker! Maybe the best kept secret in hifi

The Yamaha 901 towers do look very sweet in piano black. I can actually get a brand new pair for a lot less than $3K. But as I was telling @Gmoney, I will pass on them.

Now If I could get these SOAVO GRAND PIANO towers, they would be sitting in my living room. :D

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I used to own one of these!

I was really into camping, dirt toys and riding in the sand dunes in California (among other places). It's an amazing experience. Miles and miles of wavy sand dunes without a rock, tree or bush in sight. Driving in sand requires good power and good tires if you really wanna rip it up and the Yamaha YFZ 450 was hands down my favorite. They're built almost race ready right off the assembly line. All I had to do was swap the stock exhaust pipe with their GYTR high performance racing pipe and I was killing everyone at comp hill.

This is the identical model I had. Color, graphics and all.
View attachment 35733View attachment 35734

I loved that bike. It was fast, powerful and agile. I've always weighed on the light side too. That almost always gave me an advantage racing uphill. I was beating modded Banshees and Raptors!

Yamaha makes excellent dirt toys. too.
Beasley Iooking I say!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just found a pair of these on Craigslist for $70!

The one thing about them that I don't like is it seems like they should be mirror image because having the tweeter on the outside vs the inside should give a slightly different presentation. However, if they did well in the AH blind test, I guess it is not that big of a concern!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The one thing about them that I don't like is it seems like they should be mirror image because having the tweeter on the outside vs the inside should give a slightly different presentation. However, if they did well in the AH blind test, I guess it is not that big of a concern!
yep just looks Stupid that would bug me

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Low rent but still...Yah ma Hah!!!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the 1st Generation Yamaha Soavo tower’s LW response is +0.85/-2.89dB 200Hz-10kHz. So average tolerance is about +/-1.87dB.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic

The Yamaha 901 towers do look very sweet in piano black. I can actually get a brand new pair for a lot less than $3K. But as I was telling @Gmoney, I will pass on them.

Now If I could get these SOAVO GRAND PIANO towers, they would be sitting in my living room. :D

It may be very tough for you to find a used pair of the grand piano speakers. They didn't make many of these and any dude who bought them will be hanging onto it for dear life (won't be selling it).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like the 1st Generation Yamaha Soavo tower’s LW response is +0.85/-2.89dB 200Hz-10kHz. So average tolerance is about +/-1.87dB.

I don't understand why Sound & Vision talk about a response from 200 Hz. Somewhere, they may have been referring to a set up with a crossover at 200Hz, but the response is as good down to 100 Hz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't understand why Sound & Vision talk about a response from 200 Hz. Somewhere, they may have been referring to a set up with a crossover at 200Hz, but the response is as good down to 100 Hz.
Oh yeah it's good down to 60Hz (87dB, -3dB from 90dB sensitivity).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It may be very tough for you to find a used pair of the grand piano speakers. They didn't make many of these and any dude who bought them will be hanging onto it for dear life (won't be selling it).
I know I would not be selling those Yamaha Grand Piano speakers if I had them. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m wondering if they were just measuring it’s on/off axis dispersion. They talk about the window’d response. Since bass can be considered from 200 and lower, that’s my guess, as it wouldn’t matter to measure the window below that point.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, it's good down to 60 Hz at -10 dB according to the published curve. I guess the curve results from the interaction with the sub crossover.
The NS-F901 had cab modifications, all drivers/crossovers etc updated and extend lower than these.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis