moving up to better speakers

K

kevink

Enthusiast
morning all..currently using vintage advent speakers that i have had for many years but i am interested in stepping up my game to better speakers and I have been out of the game for a while..I have been looking at various forums and would be interested in your thoughts for moving to that next level without bankrupting me...I hear about thiel a lot..would like to hear your thoughts on both upgraded vintage speakers as well as modern speakers

thanks

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How much are you looking to spend? We can't really tell you what to check out without a budget.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
lets say 1000
Will these speakers be for HT or 2-channel music? $1000 for HT will not get you a significant upgrade. If you can bump that up to $2000 or so that would be a good start. Plenty of decent speaker manufactures out there to choose from in that price category.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
strictly for 2 channel music..vinyl and cds
So about $500/speaker. Klipsch, JBL, KEF, SVS, Def Tech, potentially Martin Logan, or Bowers and Wilkins if you can find a used pair. I suppose if you have vintage speakers, most all of these, in my opinion, be a big upgrade.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Are you looking for towers or bookshelves?

Checkout the following towers at around the $1k/pair mark:

Klipsch RP-8000F if you're sitting at least 8-9 feet from them.

Kef Q550

Canton series can be found at accessoriesforless

Bookshelves:

SVS Ultra's

Canton Vento 836.2

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to say what might be available on the used market for you. You might note Thiel is out of business now.

Maybe add some Ascend Acoustics to your list of potential new speakers (tough to find used, altho @Pogre got lucky recently)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wait for JBL Studio 580's or 590's to go on sale (a little less than half price!) like they have been 4 or 5 times a year!
Assuming the sales are the same time each year (which I don't know is the rule), the next one off these sales will be around June 10th!

K

kevink

Enthusiast
trying to find a descent audio store that has a good variety of these speakers is always the problem...hard to compare if they are not next to each other..i need to pick some of my favorite cds and bring them with me

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In the case of the JBL's, they have a great return policy so it is no-risk to return and you get to try them out in your own room which is much better than in a showroom. From the JBL online store:

Return Policy
The following Return Policy applies to purchases made directly from our online store.

Free Returns Restrictions:

If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase then please contact us. We will gladly exchange your product or give you a full refund, even after the holidays. We will even pay to have the product shipped back. There is absolutely no risk to you. Gift wrap and shipping charges are not refundable. Personalized product exclusion: Once personalized orders have been processed, they cannot be cancelled or returned.
But, unless you just don't like the look, I don't think you would return them! These are competitive at MSRP, but with these sales, I can't think of anything that can begin to compete in the $700/pr to $1000/pr price range. Be sure to check the size of the 580 vs 590! If you read the thread I linked above you will understand that the 590 is BIG!

Which Advent do you have? I used to have AR 3a's and KLH 6's (both designed by Henry Kloss, who went on to start Advent and then Cambridge SoundWorks) and my brother had Advent Legacy's!
In 2009, I decided to update. The new speakers are definitely better resolved, especially in the upper half of the frequency range!

K

kevink

Enthusiast
I hate to sound stupid here but based on the crossover design they were called the "the new advents" with walnut cabinet..i don't recall a model number but that was in 1975..I will look into the jbls thank for the feedback..

what site were you ;monitoring for the sale you referred to..

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Harmon Audio

JBL

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hard to say what might be available on the used market for you. You might note Thiel is out of business now.

Maybe add some Ascend Acoustics to your list of potential new speakers (tough to find used, altho @Pogre got lucky recently)
Very lucky. I found a pair of Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2s for $650 on Craigslist. They retail for $1500! It takes a little time and patience but you can find some gems in the classifieds.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Are you looking for towers or bookshelves?

Checkout the following towers at around the $1k/pair mark:

Klipsch RP-8000F if you're sitting at least 8-9 feet from them.

Kef Q550

Canton series can be found at accessoriesforless

Bookshelves:

SVS Ultra's

Canton Vento 836.2
Nice list !!
Have you ever got a lemon or bad product from a4 less do they just refurbish gear ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

kevink

Enthusiast
thanks for info..went into site to check out the selection..anybody got opinions on canton speakers...
I am running a tube amplifier that is only putting out 60/channel so i have to consider the minimum wattage of some of these speakers...

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Nice list !!
Have you ever got a lemon or bad product from a4 less do they just refurbish gear ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A4L sells new current, new old stock and factory refurbs.

I’ve personally never gotten a lemon luckily, but I only buy new units from them.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
morning all..currently using vintage advent speakers that i have had for many years but i am interested in stepping up my game to better speakers and I have been out of the game for a while..I have been looking at various forums and would be interested in your thoughts for moving to that next level without bankrupting me...I hear about thiel a lot..would like to hear your thoughts on both upgraded vintage speakers as well as modern speakers

thanks
What forum have you been hearing a lot about “thiel” I’ve been on AH and I can’t remember anyone bring up that brand at least not recently. Thoughts on vintage and modern is a very Large area of speakers to cover. I’d start by Googling Tower speaker’s or bookselfs if that’s your thing. Just to get a round about idea whats out there. Than Google “Tower speaker’s” in the price range of 300 to 600 range and work up from there. Be a lot easier than a bunch of post coming from all over the map. Your asking something that you won’t have to take a Second mortgage on your house or bankrupt you. So I’m thinking your asking about middle to upper end speakers? Not low end or bottom feeders?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thanks for info..went into site to check out the selection..anybody got opinions on canton speakers...
I am running a tube amplifier that is only putting out 60/channel so i have to consider the minimum wattage of some of these speakers...
Why would the minimum wattage spec mean anything? A minimum spec is kinda silly IMO, as most speakers will work just fine with a watt or less. Max wattage is more a guideline as to when damage can occur. You should concentrate on the sensitivity spec to make your amp go furthest with a given speaker.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis