moving up to better speakers

K

kevink

Enthusiast
i have been watching online as well as driving by some of the local audio shops waiting for doors to open so i can listen to some of the recommendations...being out of touch with this equipment for many years makes it hard to get back into it...new names, differect specs etc...
buying was easier in 1975

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
i have been watching online as well as driving by some of the local audio shops waiting for doors to open so i can listen to some of the recommendations...being out of touch with this equipment for many years makes it hard to get back into it...new names, differect specs etc...
I felt like I was swimming against the tide when I got back into this after a 15 year absence. A DAC was a toy for rich people, or somebody who had headphones and a tiny amp. Streaming? What's that? Now I have a DAC and a streaming device w/Tidal, when in January I knew nothing.

Yeah, it was much easier to demo stuff back in the 70's-90's. I loved walking into shops or making appointments and sitting for hours trying to find the nuance between 2 speakers. But what I can say is there's not anywhere near as much junk out there in 2020. You literally cannot buy bad speakers without trying. If you do, they're probably wrong for the space, or need different component matching.

Same with amplifiers. They've really got that down, and some of the AV receivers out today are every bit as good as a $10k integrated was 20 years ago (performance wise, not build). D class amps have changed the landscape.

I just bought some speakers without hearing them (only big and little brothers), which I never would have dreamed of a few years back. But, the nearest dealer that may or may not have that specific model is a 3 hour round trip (on a good day) and $50 parking for the first hour. So, I paid 2x my allotted budget, online, when I ran across a deal. SMH. Yet, couldn't be happier. And I think any of the speakers I was considering would have been a delight.

You've gotten this far, so take your time. Study, talk to people on this forum. You'll get honest answers (biased of course, but honest) and you really can't go wrong. There's a lot of system that can be bought for a grand or under. Once the doors open, you'll know what you're looking and listening for.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Different specs?

K

kevink

Enthusiast
I shouldnt say different spec's more like a lot more things to consider than what i considered years ago..all the info above like speaker impedance, crossover specifics versus tube amps/out put xformers is something I would not have educated myself on..all good stuff..I appreciate all your inputs (no pun here) and now have a little of homework to do...

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Personally, I think you stand just as good a chance of selecting a great set of speakers by mail as you do by going into a shop and listening to them. No matter what speakers you listen to, they will most certainly sound very different after you bring them home and install them in your living space. Very few speakers with any kind of decent reputation are going to sound bad. I most recently took a leap of faith and purchased a set of Tekton Double Impact speakers without ever having heard them and . . . . . it turns out they are wonderful. Just about any speaker manufacturer will offer return privileges, if you are unhappy with their speakers.

K

kevink

Enthusiast
I have noticed the return policys on most mfgs...just gonna look for some pandemic deals:eek:

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
As an example of what's going on with amplifiers, I see Guttenberg just "reviewed" the $400 Emotiva TA-100. Certainly not alone in that price category, but it does seem to have a lot of bells and whistles for somebody wanting an all-in-one 2 channel solution. The fact it's rated nearly double into 4 ohms is icing on the cake. (it seems every small speaker I love is a 4 ohm beast). This is exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for if I was starting from scratch in a small space on a budget. Well, I'm always on a budget. I just blow it really badly every now and then! Emotiva TA-100.

Personally, I think you stand just as good a chance of selecting a great set of speakers by mail as you do by going into a shop and listening to them. No matter what speakers you listen to, they will most certainly sound very different after you bring them home and install them in your living space. Very few speakers with any kind of decent reputation are going to sound bad. I most recently took a leap of faith and purchased a set of Tekton Double Impact speakers without ever having heard them and . . . . . it turns out they are wonderful. Just about any speaker manufacturer will offer return privileges, if you are unhappy with their speakers.
I think once he's sorted out the front end, exploring speakers will be the fun part. Of course, the biggest advent (pun intended) in audio has been the development of direct to consumer speakers. Tekton, Zu, Ascend, RSL, Buchardt, Salk and more have made their mark on audio without having to rely on outside resellers, effectively cutting out the middleman. They offer listening trials and often cover freight both ways. The advantage is the cost is lower than the large production speaker companies that have far more overhead and have to establish a support infrastructure to be successful.

The direct 1:1 experience is more personal, and often that alone will make up for any deficiencies (real or imaginary) the speaker may have. You're going to be more inclined to reject a speaker sold by a huge faceless corporation than Dave, with whom you discussed tweeters and cabinet colors and Pink Floyd with for days before you bit the bullet! I'll admit, one of the reasons Salk was on my short list was for just that experience. I just couldn't wait 6-8 months for a speaker.

Other resellers such as Crutchfield (I don't hate them as I once did) offer very liberal trial periods and cover freight both ways for bookshelf speakers, and a huge discount for floor-standers. In this day and age, something like that is almost a necessity if we can't demo a speaker in store.

In a way, this is even a better solution, because I sure can't think of many brick and mortar stores back in the day that would let me throw some Apogee's in the car and bring them back in a couple of weeks! I'm a heck of a lot more inclined to try out some speakers if I can hear them with my equipment where they're going to be knowing all I have to do is put them in the box and out on the front porch should I hate them.

I also think it's telling the quality of speakers is such that they can offer these sorts of policies. Chances are really good you're going to like anything they send. If they were getting loads of returns we'd be seeing more open box sales than we do. Instead what we have is rabidly loyal base. I honestly can't think of more than a handful of people who weren't absolutely crazy about their Tekton Pendragons, or Zu Dirty Weekends, and told everybody that would listen about them! Again, 1:1 experience and speakers tailor made for your environment and listening habits. Besides, your wife likes the blue burlwood because it matches her drapes, there's zero chance you're sending those back!

Last edited:
K

kevink

Enthusiast
hench your discussion validates a point i made earlier and that is I dont recognize a lot of names that are out there now..zu audio for example..I think i could fit a pair of dirty weekends into my budget...never heard of tekton either but thinking these bad boys are bit to rich for me...I appreciate every ones input..been a learning experiencw from the audiophile stand point...happy mothers day to everyones mother and the wives who allow us all to continue being children...

K

kevink

Enthusiast
I was just looking at the tektron site and realiz if i scrolled down futher there are some pair deals that are affordable

K

kevink

Enthusiast
ok guys been doing some serious looking around and have a question for you all...been looking at the Zu Audio omen dw and the klipch rp-8000/6000...any feedback from you folks on these two selections

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know a lot about Zu Audio outside of what I've read. Their approach to speaker design is not typical. From what I gather they focus more on trying to dial in for a more subjective taste with the way they do their voicing. They have their fans, but they are not necessarily very accurate speakers. I would really want to give a good listen to any of their stuff before I would consider buying.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis