H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
Hello, been reading here for some time and watching the youtube channel so figured I would join and hopefully learn.
My current system is a tad outdated. Def Tech 2002tl right and left and Def Tech clr2000 for the center, powered by a Denon 3803...all about 15 or so years old. Was looking to add the Def Tech sr9080 surrounds when I came across reviews for SVS Ultra surrounds and started checking out their whole Ultra lineup. I like what I see and read about them so thinking is time to relegate the old system to the bedroom or out to the shop and get some new sound. The Ultra surrounds are twice the price of the sr9080s. Are they twice the speaker? Looking at replacing everything a piece or pair at a time. Probably start with the surrounds to go with the current system then get the Ultra towers and center and then add an SVS or Monoprice sub or two after that. The 2002tl towers are still in almost new condition and sound good but am concerned if the amps ever go out I will be dead in the water with them as they are probably too old to get replacement parts. Due to the business lockdowns here in Texas is not feasible right now to go anywhere to listen to the Ultras, but everything I read about them is good. It will be mostly a HT setup with a 58" Panny plasma that is just about as old as the rest of the current setup but we still listen to music as well. So for the price point are the Ultras that good or is there another brand or direction that would give more bang for the buck? Any opinions or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hello, been reading here for some time and watching the youtube channel so figured I would join and hopefully learn.
My current system is a tad outdated. Def Tech 2002tl right and left and Def Tech clr2000 for the center, powered by a Denon 3803...all about 15 or so years old. Was looking to add the Def Tech sr9080 surrounds when I came across reviews for SVS Ultra surrounds and started checking out their whole Ultra lineup. I like what I see and read about them so thinking is time to relegate the old system to the bedroom or out to the shop and get some new sound. The Ultra surrounds are twice the price of the sr9080s. Are they twice the speaker? Looking at replacing everything a piece or pair at a time. Probably start with the surrounds to go with the current system then get the Ultra towers and center and then add an SVS or Monoprice sub or two after that. The 2002tl towers are still in almost new condition and sound good but am concerned if the amps ever go out I will be dead in the water with them as they are probably too old to get replacement parts. Due to the business lockdowns here in Texas is not feasible right now to go anywhere to listen to the Ultras, but everything I read about them is good. It will be mostly a HT setup with a 58" Panny plasma that is just about as old as the rest of the current setup but we still listen to music as well. So for the price point are the Ultras that good or is there another brand or direction that would give more bang for the buck? Any opinions or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
@Pogre is an Ultra man. Love's them.

It could be advantageous to also consider the Prime Pinnacle Towers in the SVS Lineup... they are a little easier to integrate in the room. Review below:

A lot of people here are high on the JBL Studio 5 series speakers... Studio 590, 580, 530... they are often sold at steep discounts through JBL and is worth keeping tabs on them. @Danzilla31 currently has a full JBL 7.x rig set up and loves them.

A lot of options out there!

Frankly, though, I would advise considering replacing the Front 3 first... you will get the most notable impact there. If you invest in the surrounds first, they won't necessarily tell you what the front soundstage will be like, dig? :)

As you mentioned, mostly HT usage...
How big is your room, and how far back do you sit? Distance between front speakers?

Cheers!

Last edited:
H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. :) The current room is approx. 15' x 25' with 8' ceilings. Sit 8' back and speakers are about 6' apart. However will be moving when I retire in a year or so and that room is approx 30' x 30' open concept with living room in one half and kitchen/dining area in the other half with a tall cathedral ceiling....so will be another challenge.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@Pogre!!!!!
Yes. IMO the ultras are an upgrade in every single way. I would start with the towers first since they’ll deliver the biggest change. If budget requires the surrounds first, I would just get the Ultra BS and not the ultra surrounds. I think the dual mode is dubious, and I prefer direct radiators.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Another note, in support of what Bill just added...
SVS voices their entire lineup of speakers to be very similar, so you can mix and match as necessary for your situation.
I definitely would recommend the Ultra Bookshelves over smaller speakers as Surrounds.

It seems like you will not be limited by space in your future set up (hopefully). :)

But that room will require some serious Subwoofage!!! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre is an Ultra man.
I think I just found my new sig... :p

Yes indeed I love my Ultras! I like Ryan's suggestion of starting with the front 3 first and consider the Pinnacles. I have the Ultra towers and I love them, but I have a very large space and plenty of room for them to breathe. Small or even medium rooms might be a little more challenging as far as placement with the UT's. If you have the space tho, I think the UT's are gorgeous!

You're mentioning the Ultra surround speakers. Do you mean the Ultra bipole/dipole surround speakers? I just now see that the price is reduced for those, but I still prefer a regular monopole speaker for surround duty. I'm using Ultra Bookshelf speakers for my surrounds. I started with 3 bookshelf speakers up front then later got the towers and moved 2 of the bookshelves to the rear.

If you have room, I really like using a bookshelf for my center channel. I think it's a closer timbre match and it wasn't as expensive! Another thing to consider, all of SVS' speakers are voice matched so you can mix Prime with Ultra speakers save a few bucks for your subwoofage. Your front 3 speakers are where you want to focus the best you can afford, then you can save a little by getting prime bookshelf or satellites for surrounds.

If I were to start over I probably would have gone with Prime bookshelves for my surround speakers and redirect the savings into something else. I was not planning to get towers at first but then upgraditis took over and I no longer had control of the wheel...

H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
Upgraditis...:D..it gets to me in every hobby Ive ever gotten into, tend to jump in with both feet....then come the upgrades. The surrounds I was considering were the Ultra bipole/dipole but am sure the Ultra Bookshelves would do the trick. Was looking at the Pinnacle towers also. They are comparable to the Ultra towers?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Upgraditis...:D..it gets to me in every hobby Ive ever gotten into, tend to jump in with both feet....then come the upgrades. The surrounds I was considering were the Ultra bipole/dipole but am sure the Ultra Bookshelves would do the trick. Was looking at the Pinnacle towers also. They are comparable to the Ultra towers?
I wish I could say I've heard them, but I haven't. It does sound like you will have plenty of room tho so the UT's might be a good fit for you. I see Ryan linked you to Shady's review of the Pinnacles above. I know they share some trickle down with the Ultras in the midrange driver and I'd imagine design as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
As @ryanosaur mentioned they are voiced? Poor way to put they are built to blend in with other speakers in each series so prime towers can go with ultra bookshelves etc etc

So yeah the 3 pinnacles in your front stage would work with ultra bookshelves as surrounds

And get bookshelves for your surrounds direct radiating monopole speakers are so much better then bipole and or dipole speakers

Unless you are really crammed up close to your surrounds but if your not bookshelves are the way to go

IMO the most important thing you can improve on in upgrading is your subwoofers,front 3 speakers, and then go after your bookshelves

That's just how I would do it

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would recommend the studio 5's but they are a VERY unique looking speaker your either going to love them or hate them

But they sound fantastic

SVS makes very good speakers nice measurements good bang for your buck speakers I do think they will be a nice upgrade and they look slick in the piano black finish

Also like @Pogre said aka the Ultra Man lol if your space allows go with the ultra's if it doesn't go with the pinnacles the ultra's need some room to breath to sound there best

But if you have the space the price is so close to the pinnacles I'd snag the ultra's

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The beauty of SVS is you can order the Ultra towers and try 'em out for 45 days before you fully commit to the purchase. They pay the shipping too.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Go with the Monoprice Monolith subs that 15 incher for 1300 and some change is just a steal they are as good as the SVS PB 4000's for like 600 to 700 less. Or HSU there 15 inchers are the best bargains on the market I plan on getting 2 of the mk3 for the bed room setup I know that's down the road but that's where Id look for subs

Now to answer your question on the ultra's are they worth it I think they are

I've owned the prime towers and they are great performers for there price I do believe the Ultra towers are worth the money I'm not so sure about the pinnacles since there so close to the ultra's in price I'm not convinced

I know everything is shut down but SVS has great 45 day try em out with free returns and free shipping policy

So you can try em in your own home and then if you don't like them ship them back

I don't think you'll ship them back tho they have a lotta happy owners

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The beauty of SVS is you can order the Ultra towers and try 'em out for 45 days before you fully commit to the purchase. They pay the shipping too.
Damnit you beat me to that point I just posted that!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
UltraMan...
that should be a movie. Age of UltraMan? Nah. Something else. Maybe a new avatar at least?
Idk. I need to eat...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't see your future room size get the ultra's in that bigger space you'll want them the pinnacles in that bigger space won't be as good an investment IMO

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
UltraMan...
that should be a movie. Age of UltraMan? Nah. Something else. Maybe a new avatar at least?
Idk. I need to eat...
The Ultra Man strikes back!!! Return of the Ultra Man!!! I've been eating way too much since this lockdown bro

I'm gonna go eat some more right now

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
UltraMan...
Idk. I need to eat...
I s'pose the least I could do is repay the favor and give Ryan a new sig.

I used to think I was a good looking guy, then I met Ryan.
Ryan never wears a watch because time is always on his side.
Ryan had an awkward moment once, just to see how it feels.
When I grow up, I want to be just like Ryan.

:p :p :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Ultra Man strikes back!!! Return of the Ultra Man!!! I've been eating way too much since this lockdown bro

I'm gonna go eat some more right now
Noooo!!!!! Don’t do it bro! Step away from the sammich!!!!!!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You guys are killin me. Thank you!

;)

And, Danzilla... It's OK. You eat that Sammy! A 'Zillas gotta 'Zill, Yo! :p And without, you'll never get to Mecha- yo' 'Zill!

All hail the mighty Mecha-Dan-Zilla!!!

:cool:

Oh yes... and special props to my Home-Steak, Pogre!
I used to think I was a good looking guy, then I met Ryan.
Ryan never wears a watch because time is always on his side.
Ryan had an awkward moment once, just to see how it feels.
Just.
F'n.
Laughin'!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You guys are killin me. Thank you!

;)

And, Danzilla... It's OK. You eat that Sammy! A 'Zillas gotta 'Zill, Yo! :p And without, you'll never get to Mecha- yo' 'Zill!

All hail the mighty Mecha-Dan-Zilla!!!

:cool:

Oh yes... and special props to my Home-Steak, Pogre!

Just.
F'n.
Laughin'!
MechaDanzilla meets UltraMan!!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis