H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW I did say I was disappointed drumphy didn't catch it when exposed....just figured that would make the problem real to him/his family and perhaps spark some compassion and action compared to what he's been doing.
Right. Sparking compassion is what you were thinking. We all know it is your default perspective. Like I said, I'm OK if that's the door you choose... but that door swings both ways. Right, moderators?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed.

Really, Mark, you should control your emotions. While I'm not in favor of propping up *any* companies, politicians are probably going to do it as a jobs program. Fortunately it looks like they may be smarter about it than they were in 2008.

There are ten major US domestic airlines, not counting regional airlines. Your notion that we need only one airline sounds foolish. And that's just domestic airlines. Many, many of my friends have family around the world, and while there may be a pause in international air travel, there's no way in the long term that these folks are going to forsake their families. And what are their alternatives? Cruise ships? Get real. Solutions for safe flying will be found; solutions are always found when there's high demand.

Even if COVID19 kills off 10% of the world's population, people are going to go back to flying. Probably within this year.

In case you weren't watching, some airlines are restarting flights just for freight purposes. That trend is probably going in increase for a little while, not decrease. Globalization for manufacturing is not going away anytime soon. Globalization took years to build up, and it'll take many years to replace, even if we attempt it. I doubt it will be attempted at all, except perhaps for drug manufacturing. It won't surprise me if Congress gets nervous about being so dependent on China for drug ingredients. For electronic components? Very doubtful.

Domestically, I intend to go back to flying as soon as this emergency subsides. Most people I know feel this way. We have four children in three cities on two coasts, and I'm not going to give up seeing them for much longer, and driving is dangerous and tiresome for thousands of miles. Trains are worse than planes.

As for Boeing, do you really know anything about Boeing? Just for starters, they're a major defense contractor. Like $26B in annual revenue last year, more this year. Their commercial aviation division is bigger and more screwed up, the 737 MAX situation is one of the great stories of incompetence in US commercial history, but I doubt Boeing is going broke. Some of their suppliers may be in trouble, but that's a more manageable problem.
To add, Boeing was also the single largest exporter in the US, as of 2012- don't know were they stand now, but their closing would cost over 165K jobs, just in the US. A friend who was a Sr Project Architect oversaw the construction of several Boeing service facilities in India and the Middle East- these were 2 million ft² plants, so the shutdown of one corporation would also eliminate the need for future projects and the employment of many thousands of people on those countries, as well as the negative impact on several economies. Then, there's Boeing's involvement in telecommunications, satellites, etc- that was a bad example of a corporation that should close.

Trains are bad, but aircraft account for over 10% of the pollution, although the industry has cleaned their exhaust.

As for politicians being smarter than before, that remains to be seen. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Boeing probably would have gone broke long before this crisis if not for their defense business propping up the commercial side. There's no money to be made in civilian aircraft production.
If you have investments, do you put all of your money in one stock, fund, etc?

highfigh

highfigh

I believe that your country's governments waited a bit too long to act upon the pandemic menace that was suspected of occurring. As you know, the more we wait before acting, there are consequences and increased cost as well as more deaths are some of them.

Here in Quebec, the situation is at present under good control with slight regular increase in affected people reported despite more testing. However, in Ontario and in British Columbia, the results are not as good. One factor which did not help is that our Federal government delayed the interruption of incoming and outgoing commercial flights.
Pretty easy to point fingers from a distance when your country has fewer people than the state of California and far less influx of people from other parts of the planet. Also, your population, with the exception of the large cities, is far less dense, so the transmission of communicable diseases it lower.

If any POTUS had gone full disaster mode in the beginning because of suspicions, people would have panicked. The US has students who went on Spring Break in the face of this (don't know if their parents were in favor, but if there was no attempt to stop them, the parents need to be slapped)- what does that tell you about the stupidity and selfishness of people when they have been told to stay at home?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
As for politicians being smarter than before, that remains to be seen. :)
Agreed. Republican senators are trying to turn the stimulus program into a $500B pork fest for corporations, while the Democrats seem to want to use the opportunity to force the progressive presidential candidate agenda. I'm ashamed of both.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I highly recommend buying Georgia Pacific stock.If you don't know who they are they make toilet paper, our next form of currency.
All of this toilet paper nonsense could easily be solved if we were a country that used a bidet instead.

Having said that, I was able to get a great pick up order at HEB (local grocery) and they had toilet paper. I guess I'm rich now. :)

highfigh

highfigh

I highly recommend buying Georgia Pacific stock.If you don't know who they are they make toilet paper, our next form of currency.
And that's ridiculous because TP isn't as necessary as many think WRT this virus.

What did people do before TP?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If you have investments, do you put all of your money in one stock, fund, etc?
Not sure what that has to do with Boeing, but I wouldn't doubt that Boeing stock is included in one or more of my funds. I was being a bit hyperbolic when I said they would go broke without their defense division. And, I'm certainly not hoping for Boeing's demise. Many jobs in Canada depend on Boeing as a customer.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Uh, Dan, I bet you're an awesome MD, but I'd recommend you get a good financial advisor. Georgia Pacific has been owned by Koch Industries for about 15 years. You can't buy their stock. ;)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Uh, Dan, I bet you're an awesome MD, but I'd recommend you get a good financial advisor. Georgia Pacific has been owned by Koch Industries for about 15 years. You can't buy their stock. ;)
Also, and I assume his comment was tounge-n-cheek to begin with, actual TP sales won't be up for 2020... they just spiked this month.

The rate of consumption is unchanged.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This morning the numbers I heard were about 30,000 cases in the US and around 400 deaths from the CoronaVirus.
What is frustrating me is that I cannot find anywhere that specified how many people have been tested! This is an obvious lapse in the data being provided!
Does anyone know where I can find this information?
I suspect that since the tests are probably largely being used on people with symptoms that the number of cases would be very high as a percentage of the number of tests, but it would be nice to get some idea and be able to know how many tests are administered each day as well as seeing the increased levels of testing grow as availability increases.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So the crisis moves closer to home. We are very much an international family. My eldest son's brother in law is in an ICU in Madrid and close to having to be intubated. He is on 100% O2 rebreather mask. That actually hastens when you need to go on the vent because of nitrogen wash out which collapses the alveoli quicker.

Our Lt. governor's brother has just died of the disease. Our State Senator Amy Klbouchar's husband in in an ICU with the disease.

Our governor Tim Walz is now at home under quarantine.

BOJO will address the nation in a little over an hour as the crisis turns grave in the UK.

Meanwhile our president waffles on necessary measures.

This is what is now required.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This morning the numbers I heard were about 30,000 cases in the US and around 400 deaths from the CoronaVirus.
What is frustrating me is that I cannot find anywhere that specified how many people have been tested! This is an obvious lapse in the data being provided!
Does anyone know where I can find this information?
I suspect that since the tests are probably largely being used on people with symptoms that the number of cases would be very high as a percentage of the number of tests, but it would be nice to get some idea and be able to know how many tests are administered each day as well as seeing the increased levels of testing grow as availability increases.
No idea on the accuracy, but there is this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-people-tested-sick-coronavirus-covid-each-state-america/608413/

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Fortunately, my previously mentioned children who were planning to travel have both grounded themselves.
Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the tests. For example, in New Mexico they're not testing anyone without symptoms and recommended by an MD, yet out of 5386 tests there were only 65 positives as of this morning. That is difficult to believe.

Idaho has tested 1365 people as of last Friday, again only those showing symptoms, and have merely 47 cases in the state as of last Friday.

I realize these are sparsely populated states, but the positive ratios look very low.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So the crisis moves closer to home. We are very much an international family. My eldest son's brother in law is in an ICU in Madrid and close to having to be intubated. He is on 100% O2 rebreather mask. That actually hastens when you need to go on the vent because of nitrogen wash out which collapses the alveoli quicker.

Our Lt. governor's brother has just died of the disease. Our State Senator Amy Klbouchar's husband in in an ICU with the disease.

Our governor Tim Walz is now at home under quarantine.

BOJO will address the nation in a little over an hour as the crisis turns grave in the UK.

Meanwhile our president waffles on necessary measures.

This is what is now required.
Likewise, there is the report from his Sunday Presser of his finding the Coronavirus Test to not be fun... I can only assume he was hoping for a happy ending by a nurse in a French Maid costume.

(For any old-school Animaniacs fans out there, I know you get the joke!)

And then there is Chrissy Teigen's response... Priceless:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Fortunately, my previously mentioned children who were planning to travel have both grounded themselves.

Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the tests. For example, in New Mexico they're not testing anyone without symptoms and recommended by an MD, yet out of 5386 tests there were only 65 positives as of this morning. That is difficult to believe.

Idaho has tested 1365 people as of last Friday, again only those showing symptoms, and have merely 47 cases in the state as of last Friday.

I realize these are sparsely populated states, but the positive ratios look very low.
Agreed. Tested vs. positive results are very low. Maybe things will even out once that 45min test gets approved and testing is a lot more widespread.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis