2 HSU over 1 Rythmik

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just thought of this. SVS doesn't have speaker level connections, so that would not help me. I am using a Yamaha 2 channel amp. No sub out.
The MartinLogan Dynamo and Paradigm Defiance sub apps have most of the same functionality of the SVS sub app, plus they speaker level inputs and ARC room correction. They don't have PEQ, however.

One thing I will add about PEQ, it's a nice feature but not really all that useful unless you know the room response of the subs. It can be used to trim peaks. But you have to measure the response to see where the peaks are and how much to trim them by.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Rythmik also has extension filters on their amps and fixed slope degrees for their channel.

PEQ controls
For what it is worth, the Rhthmik sub amps are designed in-house too, specifically for the Rythmik drivers.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I think going with the Rythmik will also give me the satisfaction of not having to upgrade. If I purchased the HSU, I might be left with yearning for the Rythmik... Just being honest. I know the HSU will give me what I need.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Keep telling yourself that :p
Everyday!!! Ha. What’s slowing me down is more of my funds go into savings now. No choice in the matter. I’m happy with all my other equipment. Only shopping for a sub since the Outlaw is back in my Den/HT set up.
and after trial and error found myself happier with a sub in the 2 channel set up.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Keep in mind that unless you use the line level inputs (which you won't be doing), the subs from Rythmik do not have a very extended high frequency response. This is some kind of odd consequence of their servo system. Not such a big deal if you intend to crossover at 80 Hz or lower, but the high end roll off starts like at 70 Hz:

That doesn't give you much flexibility for integration, and you will want all the flexibility you can get since you will have no bass management. The Hsu subs are flat out to 200 Hz with any connectivity. And two subs can give you a much better response and a much better sound than one sub. Two subs can also greatly reduce localization that happens with a single sub.

Something else to think about that will help integration is sealing the ports on your main speakers if they are ported models. That will provide a much more predictable low end and make phase matching between speakers and subs much easier. It's a bit like applying a more controlled high-pass filter to your speakers. What speakers are you using?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think going with the Rythmik will also give me the satisfaction of not having to upgrade. If I purchased the HSU, I might be left with yearning for the Rythmik... Just being honest. I know the HSU will give me what I need.
Why do you think you'd yearn for Rythmik..?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Why do you think you'd yearn for Rythmik..?
Not Sure, but I think it has to do with Servo for music and everything I have read over the years from Rythmik. And because this is a music only set up...

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Keep in mind that unless you use the line level inputs (which you won't be doing), the subs from Rythmik do not have a very extended high frequency response. This is some kind of odd consequence of their servo system. Not such a big deal if you intend to crossover at 80 Hz or lower, but the high end roll off starts like at 70 Hz:

That doesn't give you much flexibility for integration, and you will want all the flexibility you can get since you will have no bass management. The Hsu subs are flat out to 200 Hz with any connectivity. And two subs can give you a much better response and a much better sound than one sub. Two subs can also greatly reduce localization that happens with a single sub.

Something else to think about that will help integration is sealing the ports on your main speakers if they are ported models. That will provide a much more predictable low end and make phase matching between speakers and subs much easier. It's a bit like applying a more controlled high-pass filter to your speakers. What speakers are you using?
I will be using my Canton A45 Anniversary towers. At times I switch over to my Focal Aria 926 and Kef LS50.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
everything I have read over the years from Rythmik.
I'd say this is the answer. How about all the stuff you read here about subwoofers? I'll admit I'm intrigued with the servo tech also, but based on comments, measurements and discussions I would assume them to perform virtually the same as any other reputable subwoofers. I think you would be happy with something from them, sure, but the yearning thing is more based on promotional material.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not seeing any complaints from HSU ULS15 from anyone. No complaints on Rythmik F15HP or E15 either. Think flip a coin. :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I’m not seeing any complaints from HSU ULS15 from anyone. No complaints on Rythmik F15HP or E15 either. Think flip a coin. :)
Well Shitttttth.... It's gotta be the ULS then. 2 for one. With all said and done it's a 865 dollar between using two of them.... And I need two in this room to get rid of the Null... Thanks everyone.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I will be using my Canton A45 Anniversary towers. At times I switch over to my Focal Aria 926 and Kef LS50.
The Canton and Focal speakers should be good down to below 70 Hz. The Kef LS50 may benefit from higher crossover points. Whatever sub you get, you should get two of them. Another reason why is connectivity simplicity. With a single sub, speaker level inputs have to go from the amp to the sub and then to both speakers. That can turn into a real spaghetti wire mess with a single sub. With two subs, the wiring doesn't have to be as messy if you place subs near their respective speakers. The reason is you only have to connect right channel speaker outputs into one sub and left channel speaker outputs into the other sub. This will even allow you to play with stereo bass.

Another advantage of dual subs when they are closer to the main speakers is you can raise the crossover frequency as high as you want without fear of localization (not applicable to Rythmik subs using speaker level inputs). If you plug the ports on your speakers, you are probably shifting their F3 to 80 to 90 Hz. You also get a lot more control over the phase of the speakers. I strongly encourage you to plug their ports when you are trying to integrate subs without bass management. Port output in speakers is a cycle behind woofer output. By mixing ported speakers with a sub without using bass management, you are trying to blend in sound over three different phase cycles. It's really messy, and the only way to do it precisely would be to cross the subs over very low in frequency, like around port tuning of your speakers. Your tower speakers are probably tuned from 30 Hz to 40 Hz and the Kef speakers are probably tuned to around 50 to 60 Hz, so you would have to low pass your subs to similar frequencies, and they would barely get used at that point.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'd say this is the answer. How about all the stuff you read here about subwoofers? I'll admit I'm intrigued with the servo tech also, but based on comments, measurements and discussions I would assume them to perform virtually the same as any other reputable subwoofers. I think you would be happy with something from them, sure, but the yearning thing is more based on promotional material.
Rythmik is a local business for me, so my (b-stock) F15HP several years ago was a no-brainer!

Support would be local (never needed), and it keeps my $ in the local economy (suck it other ID brands!).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Rythmik in my back yard would be dangerous.
Mwa-ha-ha-haaaaa!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Rythmik in my back yard would be dangerous.
Mwa-ha-ha-haaaaa!
Or RBH, or SVS... I'd be spending all of my free time picking up cigarette butts from their parking lot and sweeping out the warehouse for free just to get a chance at some good "garbage"...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis