The popular Outlaw M2200 mono block power amp

How likely are you to buy this Monoblock?

• 100%

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • 0% - I have no need for any more amps

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • 0% - I might change amps, but not these amps

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 0% - I want to match my amps with Pre-pro and I don’t own an Outlaw Pre-Pro

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • What is a monoblock???

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Already have one or more

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The more I think about this, the more I realize what a service Amir is providing!
His website doesn't have advertising (which is reassuring from an "independent lab" perspective).
I'm not sure if he gets anything out of web-traffic without ads, so don't know if there is any income to offset his shipping costs!
In any case, I am more than happy to donate the shipping cost and use of the amp to have access to the measurements he provides and would encourage anyone who finds his site useful to donate $5 or $10 (or whatever)!
It is a nice service. Better than reading his arguments on jitter with Arny K :)

I don't worry too much about Amir financially, tho, I'd think his Microsoft days have made for a very comfortable retirement. I think he does ask for contributions to the site, tho (and you've done your share by providing an actual unit to test too).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sincere thanks for your contribution to this review @KEW !
You contributed greatly too. With the pictures you provided, even without the measurements we could give an educated guess of the Outlaw's performance at least in terms of output.

By the way you seem to have a strong electrical background, if I am not mistaken.

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
You contributed greatly too. With the pictures you provided, even without the measurements we could give an educated guess of the Outlaw's performance at least in terms of output.

By the way you seem to have a strong electrical background, if I am not mistaken.
Thank you PENG, that means a lot coming from you. I only took a few years of electronics in a government high school and learned some basics there. I‘ve learned more about amplifiers in the past month than I’ve ever known thanks to people like you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you PENG, that means a lot coming from you. I only took a few years of electronics in a government high school and learned some basics there. I‘ve learned more about amplifiers in the past month than I’ve ever known thanks to people like you.
That explains it. I knew from your first few posts, you are just being humble. Good to see more people with even just basic electrical/electronics principles anyway. I am not a electronic designer, but I read a lot and would usually try my best to understand what I read.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey Rich, wanted to call your attention to the measurements being completed!
Any speculation on why the 2200 sounded harsh?
Do the measurements provide any clues (I know you are more savvy with them than I)?
Do you think you had a defective unit (or two?)?
Do you think that perhaps the F206's are a heavier load than you previously believed (such that you were pushing past this amps capabilities)?
Speculation sure, the rail switching. Evidence, it's not in those measurements.
Thanks for supplying the amps to Amir.

Some possibilities come to mind:
  • This was over 6 years ago, so the design may be been improved
  • The measurements tools power versus distortion at 1kHz are not capturing the issue
  • It was subjective, and I did know they were rail switching, so... :p

- Rich

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Yeah, I've always thought for a long time that this Outlaw Monoblock is great.

$300 per monoblock is very good.

Now if it were $200 per monoblock, it would be awesome. :D
Outlaw have sale now on the mono blocks, 3 for $799. So it is $230 a pop.

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Looks like Outlaw just updated the 2200 to the 2220. I’d love to buy the new front panel if they make it available separately and it’s plug and play on a 2200.

20F5C0C8-0FBB-4A5B-A3C2-E9A364F94C3F.jpeg

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like Outlaw just updated the 2200 to the 2220. I’d love to buy the new front panel if they make it available separately and it’s plug and play on a 2200.

View attachment 36238
I wonder if you could remove the white print without damaging the brushed aluminum front!
It would be kind of neat to have a bare brushed Aluminum panel with just a single pilot light interrupting the panel!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I like it a lot, and is perfect for my need. I think it is also viable for people who need 3 channels for the LCR and let the AVR's internal amp drive the surround and heights.

I don't think It is a good substitute for a 5 or 7 channel amp only because of the higher cost and the number of power cords.
That’s the amps Outlaw two monoblocks that will powering my new Reference speakers by the backend of this year. :) Was thinking of just doing everything Yamaha since Yamaha is the best ever made.;):).

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Any change in the new one other than cosmetic that I may not be catching?

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Any change in the new one other than cosmetic that I may not be catching?
The increased height takes away a lot of the appeal for me, as does the fact that the pics show that it’s now made in China instead of Taiwan.

I like the new front panel, but I’m glad I bought my 2200s earlier this year, and I think that I’m no longer a buyer.

Last edited:
John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
I asked Outlaw if they could tell me the differences between the 2220 and 2200, and here’s their reply:

”There is a physical switch for XLR or RCA input, which the 2200 does not have. The trigger output on the 2220 is powered. Whereas, with the 2200, it is not powered. It is simply an in/out connection. This is capable of powering up to 3 amplifiers before the available current from the source device reaches max capability. With the 2220, the trigger out has a separate powered trigger-out circuit. So, a max current availability will not be reached. Thus, more amps can be triggered.”

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I asked Outlaw if they could tell me the differences between the 2220 and 2200, and here’s their reply:
”There is a physical switch for XLR or RCA input, which the 2200 does not have.”
Can anyone with an electronics background speak to the benefits of having a switch for the XLS vs RCA inputs? Can I assume they are both continuously active without this switch? Is that a disadvantage?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis