Logic and Alan Dershowitz

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't buy that they take their religion seriously. It is merely a power block with religious veneer. These people pick and choose which scripture matters and which do not, and its always the scripture that buttresses their ego- just like children would do. This is not even an ideology at its core. There is no systemic idea underpinning it. It's just comfort food for their id. You do not have to dig deep into their explanations before they lose any coherence. These people don't hold values, they hold emotional reactions disguised as values.
Not the Republicans I've known, some of whom I'm friends with. Many are very deeply religious, as measured by reading the scriptures every morning, going to Bible studies classes, and volunteering their time in church groups. In some cases, tithing. Trump is considered a convert, and in Christianity converting heathens to Christians is a noble and normal thing. (As in born again.) Trump supports their agenda not just with words but with actions, policies, and appointments. In my opinion his behavior is nothing more than pandering to the base that gives him unwavering support, but in their opinion he just plain delivers for their religious and social agenda. They do have an ideology. Scary, IMO, but I think you are grossly mistaken.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you get called to jury duty and seem to be of above average intelligence, one lawyer or the other will object and make sure you get sent home and never hear the case.
People will be sent home if they're likely to be agreeable to one way or another but in the case where I was a juror, they had a hard time cutting the pool down to 13- one juror definitely lied when he answered the questions, judging by his comments and demeanor during deliberation.

highfigh

highfigh

It's probably more common, but some of the law firms here in Milwaukee include "You're only guilty if you're convicted" in their ads. I have a problem with that. Someone is guilty if they committed the crime- conviction only means they'll be penalized by the criminal justice system and the facts will become public record, with whatever stigma that may come with it. It's this kind of logic that makes it possible for dirtbags to escape punishment and it decreases their fear of the consequences of their actions.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I'm not from Brooklyn, but I took offense too. I don't like to see stereotyping or identity politics.
… to expose Dershowitz as a con-man from Brooklyn, who is also full of that phony Harvard bravado.
I made an effort at broadly smearing both Brooklyn con-artists, and those full of Harvard bravado. That doesn't include all from Brooklyn or Harvard. I felt that, plus my reference to Bugs Bunny as the prototype, should have been enough to transcend the usual accusations of stereotyping. I guess not for everyone.
… The GOP seems dominated by the religious right. Pro-life, prayer in schools, obsession with religious freedom, etc.
You must know different republicans than I do. Those I know are dominated by cynics who worship only money and power. They care little for any other idealogy or religion, but are glad to appeal to the religious right wing, isolationists, racists, or xenophobes, when it comes to keeping political power.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You must know different republicans than I do. Those I know are dominated by cynics who worship only money and power. They care little for any other ideology or religion, but are glad to appeal to the religious right wing, isolationists, racists, or xenophobes, when it comes to keeping political power.
Agreed on many politicians, especially Trump, but I do run into many conservatives who are devout Christians. I don't agree with their faith, or any faith, but I acknowledge that some are sincere in theirs.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I just watched the latest SNL Cold Open. It pretty much got it right. I took Cousin Vinny as their version of Alan Dershowitz. It didn't work as well as most other portrayals in the skit.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I voted for Trump instead of Clinton. I'm glad I did for a multitude of reasons. Based on the line-up of Democrats running for nomination, it appears I will vote again for President Trump.

S

sterling shoote

I voted for Trump instead of Clinton. I'm glad I did for a multitude of reasons. Based on the line-up of Democrats running for nomination, it appears I will vote again for President Trump. BTW, Dershowitz, did something I thought lawyers were not supposed to do, introduce or volunteer information after already winning. I though he blew it but it appears the ball was recovered. We''ll see. At any rate, I like Trump's Trade, Military, Immigration, Border, Veteran, 2nd Amendment, Tax, and Right to Life policies. I also like his appointments to the High Court.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You mean you could vote for the right democrat? Like who?
Speaking for myself obviously, Bloomberg just announced a tax plan that looks more reasonable than anyone else's. Of course, it's too soon to make a determination; I like his public option for healthcare (if it isn't subsidized), but his environmental proposals are hollow (like replacing coal power plants with "green" power (whatever that is) by 2030, and his gun control mania is probably unimplementable with over 300 million guns in public hands. Nonetheless, if Bloomberg got his act together, and if he wins the nomination (unlikely) he's beginning to sound like a reasonable alternative.

S

sterling shoote

You mean you could vote for the right democrat? Like who?
I mean I like to entertain ideas; but, the current pro-abortion line-up of Democrat candidates appalls me. Also, their leftist ideals I believe are distructive.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I voted for Trump instead of Clinton. I'm glad I did for a multitude of reasons. Based on the line-up of Democrats running for nomination, it appears I will vote again for President Trump.
Did it ever occur to you that if Clinton had been elected, you likely wouldn't be facing the possibility of a much more leftist Democrat Presidential candidate in the next election?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Less than 2% of pregnancies (625,000+/yr) are aborted while more than 8% of the population (25+ million people) do not have ANY health coverage. I will never understand why abortion is such a bigger issue for some people considering how infrequently it occurs.

S

sterling shoote

Less than 2% of pregnancies (625,000+/yr) are aborted while more than 8% of the population (25+ million people) do not have ANY health coverage. I will never understand why abortion is such a bigger issue for some people considering how infrequently it occurs.
I'll tell you why, God loves the unborn.

S

sterling shoote

Did it ever occur to you that if Clinton had been elected, you likely wouldn't be facing the possibility of a much more leftist Democrat Presidential candidate in the next election?
Yes, I was so thrilled when hearing Wednesday morning after election that Trump had won the election. I am so glad to see his promises being fulfilled and the results.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't agree with that, and I voted for Clinton. Clinton was a centrist. As has been the case for my entire life, the leftists in the US want to control the economy through the US government, and dislike and distrust capitalism and a market economy because it is a meritocracy. The left has always hated meritocracy, in every country. IMO, the weakness of a meritocracy is that without appropriate guard rails and rules it runs amuck in greed, which builds support for government control of the economy, which always results in lack of competitiveness compared to the remaining meritocracies, and then the cycle begins again. We're just in the phase where the greed needs to be reigned in a bit. Classic example - the healthcare industry.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
did you stop and think how many of those 25+ million without health coverage are at that point because of their own stupidity / neglect ?

highfigh

highfigh

And by the 2016 report, it was 186 abortions per 1000 live births- that's far from 2%. That's a pretty high ratio, even though it's historically low. Regardless, over 46 million abortions have been reported since 1970. That's more than the number of deaths in WWI but about 60% of WWII deaths.

It seems that nobody asked "Who could they become and what good things could they do?"- Those three totals are about half of the current US population and you think health care coverage is the problem?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I don't agree with that, and I voted for Clinton. Clinton was a centrist. As has been the case for my entire life, the leftists in the US want to control the economy through the US government, and dislike and distrust capitalism and a market economy because it is a meritocracy. The left has always hated meritocracy, in every country. IMO, the weakness of a meritocracy is that without appropriate guard rails and rules it runs amuck in greed, which builds support for government control of the economy, which always results in lack of competitiveness compared to the remaining meritocracies, and then the cycle begins again. We're just in the phase where the greed needs to be reigned in a bit. Classic example - the healthcare industry.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I stated? I know Clinton is a centrist. If she had been elected, one could assume that she would run again. Therefore, you probably wouldn't be seeing the nomination race featuring Sanders, Warren, etc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis