Logic and Alan Dershowitz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The republicans have become the audiophools of politics?
no more sad than the pathetic Democrats .........

can you imagine if the left losses the election again this time around, OMG, they'll all jump off a bridge, perhaps not a bad thing after all .................

extreme left / right, all certified a-holes ........

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Been there, done that, at least two times, maybe three. Everytime, one of the defense lawyers asked prospective jurors to stand up 1) if they had been to college but did not graduate, 2) if they graduated college, or 3) if they had gone to school beyond a bachelor's degree. After counting noses, all those standing were excused from serving on the jury. I left before they could change their minds. So did roughly 50 others. They were not interested in jurors who were educated beyond high school.
I have been there as well several times.

I have also given evidence as an expert witness several times. You have to use very simple language and really simplify complex issues and use no long words. You have to keep sentences short and simple.

I was lucky, as when I was a student at Guys Hospital Professor Sir Keith Simpson was chair of forensic pathology. He had many famous cases and put away some notorious criminals. He was also a lawyer. His autobiography, "Fifty Years of Murder" is a great read. Anyhow he used to have a course on giving evidence in court.

His post mortems usually, in the noon hour, were well attended. He did cut an eccentric figure. He always turned up in a dark three piece suit with two gold watches and chains in his waist coat and black Bowler hat. He would arrive, take off his suit coat, don his while lab coat, but keep on his bowler hat through out the proceedings!

He had an excruciatingly funny dry and wry sense of humor. I guess the word droll best described his demeanor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
no more sad than the pathetic Democrats .........

can you imagine if the left losses the election again this time around, OMG, they'll all jump off a bridge, perhaps not a bad thing after all .................

extreme left / right, all certified a-holes ........
Not a fan of either party particularly, altho these days the democrats are more aligned with my views than the repubs by a fair bit and the repubs have dropped back to the days of McCarthyism. The two party system is f*cked up., tho.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not a fan of either party particularly, altho these days the democrats are more aligned with my views than the repubs by a fair bit and the repubs have dropped back to the days of McCarthyism. The two party system is f*cked up., tho.
McCarthyism would be an upgrade over modern Republicans. Modern Republicans are more nihilists than anything else. They don't have any kind of ideological framework whatsoever anymore. They only have infantilist emotional reaction; that is why all of their justifications are ultimately nonsensical, since it's all a post hoc rationalization of a child's emotional response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
McCarthyism would be an upgrade over modern Republicans. Modern Republicans are more nihilists than anything else. They don't have any kind of ideological framework whatsoever anymore. They only have infantilist emotional reaction; that is why all of their justifications are ultimately nonsensical, since it's all a post hoc rationalization of a child's emotional response.
Well, with the rate they're cozying up to what supposedly McCarthyism was instilling fear about (dictators/communism), it's not a direct comparison. The tactics of bullying and fear and stupidity are what remind me.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If you get called to jury duty and seem to be of above average intelligence, one lawyer or the other will object and make sure you get sent home and never hear the case.
And the geniuses that made lawyers our arbiters on intelligence all get Dunning-Kruger participation trophies. :rolleyes:

I have also given evidence as an expert witness several times. You have to use very simple language and really simplify complex issues and use no long words. You have to keep sentences short and simple.
Well yeah ... out in Minnesota ... :p

I take some offense on the implication of "brooklinism".
I'd like to convince you that no offense should be taken.

Queens was my first home in America to begin with but aside from that, lots of places in the US have reputations that are the butt of jokes. New Jersey is a classic. Remember the movie Cadillac Man where Tim Robbins claims to have explosives and nobody believes him? Upon being asked where he got them, he says New Jersey and then he suddenly has to be taken seriously? California has the surfer culture pot head stereo type, Texans get saddled with the cowboy themed image, people in Arizona don't know enough to move off the face of the sun, Appalachians gettin' snake bit in church etc.

There's enough going on in the states that most everybody has to bear a little bit of the burden of keeping me amused. In this thread high school graduates are taking some heat for being dumb-dumbs. I mean it's not my favorite thing but being from Queens, my skin's pretty thick and those shots fired will be answered in turn. I like to think that I give as good as I get.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Modern Republicans are more nihilists than anything else. They don't have any kind of ideological framework whatsoever anymore.
How do you figure this, James? The GOP seems dominated by the religious right. Pro-life, prayer in schools, obsession with religious freedom, etc.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
And the geniuses that made lawyers our arbiters on intelligence all get Dunning-Kruger participation trophies. :rolleyes:
Good one! I had to look up Dunning-Kruger, as I admit that I've never suffered from anything like that :rolleyes:.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I'm not from Brooklyn, but I took offense too. I don't like to see stereotyping or identity politics.
A stereotype isn't an eternal judgement straight out of the old testament. Many regional stereotypes are earned and quite often points of pride. My current location puts me in contact with people from South Boston frequently. Not everybody from there fits the mold but they all certainly know the type. If you don't like seeing it, you're gonna have to turn a blind eye because not liking it isn't gonna make it any less real.

I admit to having to look up identity politics. There just might be something to that whole high school graduate stereo type. Even there we disagree in a matter of degrees. I believe in pressing every advantage. Once you attain a certain degree of success in your particular ambitions you can stop identifying with a group but if that group is going to help you achieve a goal, go group! The elimination of identity politics sounds pretty similar to Sun Tzu's Art of War divide-and-conquer strategy. Mind you I haven't read all of Sun Tzu and these are basically the first thoughts I've ever had on the matter.

I know you and BSA both to be good guys and I don't like seeing either of you offended at all.

Here's a little fun proof of my position on the regional stereotypes being a given:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

If you get called to jury duty and seem to be of above average intelligence, one lawyer or the other will object and make sure you get sent home and never hear the case.
I was a juror in a civil trial a number of years ago. After the trial he told me he should have gone with his instinct and dismiss me.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... Trump, apparently, has avoided raping underage children, and might feel superior to his lawyers.
At least we have yet to hear from those girls if there are any. ;)
He also know more than the generals, and everyone else. Oh, wait but he has very smart people on his team, just not as smart as he is.

However, from someone who poses on national media as a Harvard Constitutional lawyer, ...
He did pose that? He is a criminal layer. I read he is not a constitutional layer though. But wait, he researched the subject.

Thanks for the logic boxes from all.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
How do you figure this, James? The GOP seems dominated by the religious right. Pro-life, prayer in schools, obsession with religious freedom, etc.
They're only obsessed with their particular religious freedom, no one elses...

As for the nihilism, I can see what James is getting at...

Many of those in power are followers of Dominion theology and can't wait for the Apocalypse to occur...

For those who don't adhere to their view, it's a pretty scary thing...

(and yes, I know I linked to "iffy" sources for my links, but they are accurate)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't buy that they take their religion seriously. It is merely a power block with religious veneer. These people pick and choose which scripture matters and which do not, and its always the scripture that buttresses their ego- just like children would do. This is not even an ideology at its core. There is no systemic idea underpinning it. It's just comfort food for their id. You do not have to dig deep into their explanations before they lose any coherence. These people don't hold values, they hold emotional reactions disguised as values.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Logic and Dershowitz should NEVER be used in the same sentence unless the word "NOT" is between them. I sat dumbfounded at his statements that the President did what he did bc it was in the nations best interest. I actually had to watch it twice thinking I may have misunderstood or that my ears were deceiving me.

Mark my words IF Trump loses, he's NOT going to leave office. Bill Maher has been saying this for over 2 years and I fully agree with his logic based on what we've been seeing with this administration. A true banana republic.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As a middle aged geezer living in EU I used to have a much higher opinion of Republicans (G.O.P) in general, though I certainly disagreed strongly with some of their views and actions. So when Trump was elected President I thought that the Republicans in Congress would curb his excesses, but how wrong I was. Their talk of moral character, law and order and patriotism are just that, talk.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Their talk of moral character, law and order and patriotism are just that, talk.
That's true of both sides at that level. If they weren't ruthless in the pursuit of their goals, they would have been beat out of those positions by people who are ruthless.

I don't buy that they take their religion seriously. It is merely a power block with religious veneer.
True for politicians but not so much for the voting public. I think politicians are smarter but unscrupled.

Cherry picking bible verses is just another form of confirmation bias but in defense of cherry picking bible verses I'll say that I believe 'though shalt not kill' is more important than not cross dressing (Duet. 22:5).

Politicians from the bible belt have to stand with their constituents on social norms but put them under oath to ask them about their personal lives to kick off a record number of perjury allegations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis