Has Dolby Home Atmos Been a Step Forward for Home Audio?

Do you think Dolby's Home Atmos hasbeen a positive move on the whole for home audio?

• Yes, Home Atmos has been a move in the right direction.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Dolby's Home Atmos has overall been good for home audio but has some flaws.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Home Atmos has become a misbegotten mess for home audio.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • I don't know what a Dolby Home Atmos is. Help, I am lost and scared!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
Dolby Atmos requirement for ceiling speakers is the reason why we have Dolby Enabled speakers, which no one seems to truly like.
First of all, we don't have many Dolby enabled speakers at all, we are seeing more up-firing modules. Secondly, "no one" "truly" likes them? Audioholics don't, but that's a very small minority of an already small minority of AV enthusiasts. I've heard arguments against up-firing speakers for example, but my ears are in love :)

For non enthusiasts, Atmos is a difficult technology to fully appreciate never mind implement. Cutting holes in your ceiling is a non starter for most. Then if you read up a little you "might" work out that you can have down firing speakers* which now need to be positioned correctly. Or you may find out about up-firing speaker modules which require the "right kind" of ceiling.

That's where Atmos sound bars might help. Worse case Atmos "almost" always improves 5.1 audio. The sound bubble it creates helps fills the gaps between the speakers allowing for a smoother pan between speakers and more cohesive sound stage.

.... Atmos is pretty forgiving.
Exactly this ^^^. If the enthusiast has gone beyond the issues I mention above then even a partially set up Atmos system can bring benefits. I speak from experience on this. I was very happy with my .2 speaker system, then ecstatic with my .4 system. But with right up until recently I learn, make changes and it improved again. So even my 5.1 decent "budget" 5.1 system was/is set up sub-optimally but was still an improvement on the 5.1.

-----------
* This is what some enthusiasts started doing by the way which is why you will struggle to find the old Sony HT satellite speakers on eBay any more. They were cheap and good enough to do the job.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's the problem with Dolby Atmos, if you can't implement per their strict guidelines, i.e, ceiling speakers, it doesn't work, which makes Dolby Atmos an overall failure.
Actually that’s not true. Atmos is pretty forgiving.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
First of all, we don't have many Dolby enabled speakers at all, we are seeing more up-firing modules. Secondly, "no one" "truly" likes them? Audioholics don't, but that's a very small minority of an already small minority of AV enthusiasts. I've heard arguments against up-firing speakers for example, but my ears are in love :)

For non enthusiasts, Atmos is a difficult technology to fully appreciate never mind implement. Cutting holes in your ceiling is a non starter for most. Then if you read up a little you "might" work out that you can have down firing speakers* which now need to be positioned correctly. Or you may find out about up-firing speaker modules which require the "right kind" of ceiling.
-----------
* This is what some enthusiasts started doing by the way which is why you will struggle to find the old Sony HT satellite speakers on eBay any more. They were cheap and good enough to do the job.
To your point, most people wouldn't know good sound quality if it hit them in the head with a shovel. Having said that, they don't care. As long as the system they have sounds good to them, then they're happy. Whether it be up firing modules, or ceiling speakers they don't care as long as they think it sounds good.

Would that be good enough for us on this site? Probably not. I have a complete 7.1.4 setup in the theater and it's set up properly..probably.

I personally think it sounds "better" than my old 7.1 system I had in my old theater, but my speakers are MUCH higher end than the old system so that improvement alone may be the difference. My ceiling speakers are all matched to my bed speakers so they are totally seamless. It sounds great, but I don't think most tracks take enough advantage of the overhead speakers. I've heard good tracks that do and it is an improvement, but I think most people would be perfectly happy with "regular" 5.1.

My 5.1 system in my office sounds excellent as well. The theater sounds better. Is that because of Atmos or the improved speakers? Dunno, don't care.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's the problem with Dolby Atmos, if you can't implement per their strict guidelines, i.e, ceiling speakers, it doesn't work, which makes Dolby Atmos an overall failure.
True that the Atmos speakers need to be ABOVE your head and not sitting on a speaker shooting up in the air. :D

Not everyone can or will implement Atmos speakers just like not everyone will implement separates systems.

Are separates systems (Preamps, Amps, Integrated Amps) overall failure since most people don't "Implement" them?

It's a niche market just like Atmos/DTSX and 4K UHD Blu-Ray, which most people don't and won't "implement".

Last edited:
C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
To your point, most people wouldn't know good sound quality if it hit them in the head with a shovel. Having said that, they don't care. As long as the system they have sounds good to them, then they're happy. Whether it be up firing modules, or ceiling speakers they don't care as long as they think it sounds good.
That's interesting because I sound like I am from this camp but I "hope" I'm not. Poor audio is the reason I only go to certain cinema screens.
Would that be good enough for us on this site? Probably not. I have a complete 7.1.4 setup in the theater and it's set up properly..probably.
This is where "I hope" I am :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Actually that’s not true. Atmos is pretty forgiving.
Agree with this.

I was able to pretty much follow the guidelines, but my space is a little weird and not symmetrical...my front heights and rear heights are not the same distance apart. I was told, no worry it will sound fine.

Ceiling height I think is a bigger deal.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I personally think it sounds "better" than my old 7.1 system I had in my old theater, but my speakers are MUCH higher end than the old system so that improvement alone may be the difference. My ceiling speakers are all matched to my bed speakers so they are totally seamless. It sounds great, but I don't think most tracks take enough advantage of the overhead speakers. I've heard good tracks that do and it is an improvement, but I think most people would be perfectly happy with "regular" 5.1.

My 5.1 system in my office sounds excellent as well. The theater sounds better. Is that because of Atmos or the improved speakers? Dunno, don't care.
“Most people would be happy with 5.1”
I think that’s true. Until they’re not! Lol
IMO it depends on the person. Some people just naturally want to know what is the next level, the next step, what can I do to make it better. Some people are like, yeah, whatever, it’s great how it is and don’t upgrade etc, until equipment failure or something. Some people like A55 would somehow be mad if someone came and installed a SOTA Atmos theater for free.

V

VTGOLFER

Audiophyte
I joined just so that I could send in my thoughts. I currently have a nice 5.1 system in my multi purpose room. The room is 26' x 16' but I have my set up on the long wall which makes my space around 16' deep x 13' wide. I think Atmos would work great in my room with 4 ceiling speakers. I can only do 5.2.4 but not sure if it would be worth the funds to upgrade since I listen to two channel music 50%+ and the other times I am streaming shows like Ozark, Breaking Bad, etc.

The only reason I would be interested in upgrading is that my current avr is the Anthem MRX 510 which I can not get it to pass 4k so therefore I am watching everything in 1080p on my Samsung QLED 85" TV. I am still not sure if I want to upgrade to Atmos or just keep everything the same and purchase a really nice two channel system which I would probably get more use out of.

So in my opinion I think Atmos was designed to sell more speakers, avr's, movies, etc. Heck, my wife thinks the TV speakers are just fine and I bet she is in the majority that think that as well.

Thoughts?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
True that the Atmos speakers need to be ABOVE your head and not sitting on a speaker shooting up in the air. :D

Not everyone can or will implement Atmos speakers just like not everyone will implement separates systems.

Are separates systems (Preamps, Amps, Integrated Amps) overall failure since most people don't "Implement" them?

Its a niche market just like Atmos/DTSX and 4K UHD Blu-Ray, which most people don't and won't "implement".
Because of the infrastructure needed to set it up, I think Dolby probably realized early on Atmos would be a niche market.

C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
... I listen to two channel music 50%+ and the other times I am streaming shows like Ozark, Breaking Bad, etc.

The only reason I would be interested in upgrading is that my current avr is the Anthem MRX 510 which I can not get it to pass 4k so therefore I am watching everything in 1080p on my Samsung QLED 85" TV. I am still not sure if I want to upgrade to Atmos or just keep everything the same and purchase a really nice two channel system which I would probably get more use out of.

Thoughts?
If you put the 4k issue to one side then as much as I highly recommend up-mixing, it sounds like you are happy with your current set-up. If your Anthem could pass 4k, would you be even considering changing your setup?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I joined just so that I could send in my thoughts. I currently have a nice 5.1 system in my multi purpose room. The room is 26' x 16' but I have my set up on the long wall which makes my space around 16' deep x 13' wide. I think Atmos would work great in my room with 4 ceiling speakers. I can only do 5.2.4 but not sure if it would be worth the funds to upgrade since I listen to two channel music 50%+ and the other times I am streaming shows like Ozark, Breaking Bad, etc.

So in my opinion I think Atmos was designed to sell more speakers, avr's, movies, etc. Heck, my wife thinks the TV speakers are just fine and I bet she is in the majority that think that as well.

Thoughts?
I only wanted to reply to this one to say I love Ozark. Love it.
And I disagree that Atmos was designed to sell
more speakers. I don’t think that would benefit Dolby or dts in any significant way.
And I love Ozark.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. As long as you have speakers ABOVE your head somewhere, it works.

It's not like the speakers HAVE to be exactly at a certain angle or distance.
Agree with this.

I was able to pretty much follow the guidelines, but my space is a little weird and not symmetrical...my front heights and rear heights are not the same distance apart. I was told, no worry it will sound fine.

Ceiling height I think is a bigger deal.
Exactly. The installation guidelines are just that. GUIDELINES. Will it work better if you can install to tighter guidelines? Most likely. But if you’re even close, the experience IMO will be better for it. Sometimes you just can’t put speakers where you want. I think speaker types with “different” dispersion could be taken into account too where they might need to be closer together or farther apart, and like 2ch said, ceiling height plays there too. There are no absolutes in this. Some people live by the golden triangle rule” I personally have found it depends on the speakers, seating distance and room etc.
I still say any Atmos is better than no Atmos.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
“Most people would be happy with 5.1”
I think that’s true. Until they’re not! Lol
IMO it depends on the person. Some people just naturally want to know what is the next level, the next step, what can I do to make it better. Some people are like, yeah, whatever, it’s great how it is and don’t upgrade etc, until equipment failure or something. Some people like A55 would somehow be mad if someone came and installed a SOTA Atmos theater for free.
That's pretty much my point. Some will be happy with a basic setup and never wonder what's next, others will always want the new toys.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
more speakers. I don’t think that would benefit Dolby or dts in any significant way.
And I love Ozark.
Let's be real. It wasn't NOT designed to sell more speakers. I'm sure that's just a natural side effect of having more channels available. I seriously doubt (which you'll agree with) that Dolby told their engineers "our speaker partners need to sell more. You guys need to create something new that will make that happen". Now, if you replace speaker partners with theaters need something to attract audiences, then that is probably more true.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Let's be real. It wasn't NOT designed to sell more speakers. I'm sure that's just a natural side effect of having more channels available. I seriously doubt (which you'll agree with) that Dolby told their engineers "our speaker partners need to sell more. You guys need to create something new that will make that happen". Now, if you replace speaker partners with theaters need something to attract audiences, then that is probably more true.
Exactly. I don’t see how they’d benefit

V

VTGOLFER

Audiophyte
If you put the 4k issue to one side then as much as I highly recommend up-mixing, it sounds like you are happy with your current set-up. If your Anthem could pass 4k, would you be even considering changing your setup?
[/QUOTE

Probably not. I would probably just stick with my 5.2 system and add in a really nice 2 channel. I am just torn between the two. The older I get (55) the more I like to fix a nice bourbon and go listen to music for an hour or two. It is hard to find the time to watch a 2+ hour movie but I can always find the time to chill for an hour to listen to tunes.

V

VTGOLFER

Audiophyte
And I love Ozark.
But it will help out the manufacturers sell new products. There is always individuals that will update to the latest and greatest.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But it will help out the manufacturers sell new products. There is always individuals that will update to the latest and greatest.
Sure it will help. But I doubt it was a collaborative.

C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
Probably not. I would probably just stick with my 5.2 system and add in a really nice 2 channel. I am just torn between the two. The older I get (55) the more I like to fix a nice bourbon and go listen to music for an hour or two. It is hard to find the time to watch a 2+ hour movie but I can always find the time to chill for an hour to listen to tunes.
Then what do you need Atmos for? :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis