Echo sound of my tv when my receiver is on

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Hi,

I have a Samsung UHD tv series 8 and a Pioneer receiver VSX-934. when I turn on the receiver I get the echo of the sound of the speakers from the tv. I'd like to get the sound of the tv when the receiver is off and switch to the sound from the receiver when I turn it on. Thanks for your help.

Serge

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why use your tv speakers at all? If you do want to, some avrs are more helpful than others IIRC in helping you do that automatically (maybe depending on tv, too). Look in your manuals for tv/avr to see what options you have....

ps How are tv and avr connected?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like optical is connected, which would allow for tv speakers and receiver speakers working at the same time when using TV apps or tuner. If you use ARC connection, you will be able to toggle between TV and receiver speakers from the Smart Home by going to settings and then to speakers setting.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Why use your tv speakers at all? If you do want to, some avrs are more helpful than others IIRC in helping you do that automatically (maybe depending on tv, too). Look in your manuals for tv/avr to see what options you have....

ps How are tv and avr connected?
Tv speakers are useless unless it’s too late to use an avr but most Have night modes .

I’ve only had a few older stereo amps that you could run both tv and stereo surround volume . But all surround amps seem to echo so I just shut off tv volume .

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Thanks for all your replies. I've checked and the optical was connected to the tv. I removed it but now I don't get anymore sound from the receiver when the tv is on. I don't want to use the receiver all the time and when I'm just watching the news only for some specific shows. some other information, the receiver is connected to the ARC hdmi, sound output on tv to tv speakers and I unchecked hdmi-cec in external device manager because all the devices turned on at the same time. Before I had a Sony Bravia tv and a Sony receiver and each time I turned it switched automatically to the external speakers

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You can turn off HDMI-CEC in the other devices and leave it on in the receiver. It will probably still turn on when you turn the TV on. Look in the Pioneer controls to see if the power on /off feature can be disabled while using HDMI-CEC.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Thanks for you help. Well, I wish I could... I turned on my Pioneer receiver earlier and before I could see it on my Samsung tv and now I only see HDMI 4 device unknown and when I click on it two message appear "check the cable and press source", I did all that but nothing happened...

You can turn off HDMI-CEC in the other devices and leave it on in the receiver. It will probably still turn on when you turn the TV on. Look in the Pioneer controls to see if the power on /off feature can be disabled while using HDMI-CEC.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is the receiver the only thing hooked up to the TV's HDMI connectors?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You may need to refresh HDMI-CEC list of components in the TV settings.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Thanks for your replies, it seems each tIme I try to fix something I make it worse.. The Samsung tv is connected to the receiver in the Arc hdmi port on the Pioneer receiver. PS4 is connected to the receiver in the game hdmi port. The digital optical cable is connected from the receiver to the tv. I was able to see the PS4 earlier this morning but now I can't even see it anymore when it's turned on...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I use HDMI-CEC on a Samsung TV and I can tell you it works properly as often as it does not work at all. The least amount of headaches will be had if you hook the optical back up and turn HDMI-CEC off. Hit the home button on the TV remote and bring up the settings. Slide left to see the quick settings and go into the speaker setting. Click it from TV speakers to Audio Out/Optical when you want sound just from the Pioneer. Click over to TV speakers when the Pioneer is off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think Trebdp83 has the best suggestion if you don't want to use the avr/speakers for audio full time. I glanced at your avr manual, don't see a particular choice. I never use my tv speakers....they suck.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think Trebdp83 has the best suggestion if you don't want to use the avr/speakers for audio full time. I glanced at your avr manual, don't see a particular choice. I never use my tv speakers....they suck.
Mine do too. Every single time my tv is on, so is my system. Everything from wheel of fortune to judge Judy...surround. Oh yeah, movies too.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
I use HDMI-CEC on a Samsung TV and I can tell you it works properly as often as it does not work at all. The least amount of headaches will be had if you hook the optical back up and turn HDMI-CEC off. Hit the home button on the TV remote and bring up the settings. Slide left to see the quick settings and go into the speaker setting. Click it from TV speakers to Audio Out/Optical when you want sound just from the Pioneer. Click over to TV speakers when the Pioneer is off.
Thanks for your message. I guess it's the best option. I just wish it would poop to external speakers like it did with my Sony tv and receiver... Unfortunately now I have a bigger problem as I can't even see my receiver listed in the various sources when I turn on my tv... I see source HDMI4 device unknown with a red dot "start", HDMI-CEC is even on in external device manager, what the hell!...

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Mine do too. Every single time my tv is on, so is my system. Everything from wheel of fortune to judge Judy...surround. Oh yeah, movies too.
Well I also agree with him but now I can't even see the receiver in the sources listing...

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
It seems that now I can't get anymore signal from the ARC hdmi on the tv to the one of the receiver and it worked before. I can unplug it and plug it again but nothing!...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, wait. I thought optical was from TV to receiver. Do you use the TV apps or tuner at all?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis