Echo sound of my tv when my receiver is on

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Oh, wait. I thought optical was from TV to receiver. Do you use the TV apps or tuner at all?
The optical is connected from the PS4 to the receiver and the PS4 is connected to the HDMI 2 on the Samsung tv. I did that so I can get sound from the PS4 on the receiver. I haven't used any tv apps yet and I don't use the tuner.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Because of the signal errors with the Arc hdmi I've just decided to get a 4K hdmi cable on Amazon and I will test it when I get it and give some updates. I don't know if it the main reason why I have these problems, I was using a basic Hdmi cable when I set up my receiver with the tv and it was working at that time so I don't know...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The optical is connected from the PS4 to the receiver and the PS4 is connected to the HDMI 2 on the Samsung tv. I did that so I can get sound from the PS4 on the receiver. I haven't used any tv apps yet and I don't use the tuner.
Curious, why optical from ps4?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hook the PS4 HDMI cable to the receiver in the GAME input. Go into the settings and set the HDMI passthrough feature on and set it to pass the GAME input. Turn HDMI-CEC off on all of the devices. Leave the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV as it is now. Unhook the optical cable. It should pass the audio and video of the PS4 to the TV while the receiver is off. See if it works.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Hook the PS4 HDMI cable to the receiver in the GAME input. Go into the settings and set the HDMI passthrough feature on and set it to pass the GAME input. Turn HDMI-CEC off on all of the devices. Leave the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV as it is now. Unhook the optical cable. It should pass the audio and video of the PS4 to the TV while the receiver is off. See if it works.
Sorry for the little delay to write back and thanks for your reply. I hooked the PS4 HDMI cable to the GAME INPUT on the receiver and unhooked the optical cable. I turned off HDMI-CEC on the tv. When I tuned on the PS4 I couldn't see the screen but I heard the noise of the PS4 in the speakers of the receiver when I selected "GAME" on the receiver. The receiver is connected to the HDMI Arc on the tv but I don't get any signal, I can see HDMI 4 unknown with a blue check mark and a red dot for start, when I click on it I get the messages "no signal 1)check the cable connections and the setting of your source device 2) press source on your remote to select connected source device. So I don't know what to do...

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Pioneer receiver connected to Samsung tv :
HDMI OUT ZONE 2 USB to AR HDMI IN 4 (ARC)
doesn't work when connected to ARC HDMI in receiver (no signal)
ps4 connected to GAME HDMI on the receiver
When I turn on the PS4 the receiver turns on and shift from TV to game, I hear the sound throught the receiver speakers

CONFIGURATION PS4 :
SYSTEM :
AUDIO DEVICES :
Input Device (none)
Output Device (TV or amplifier)
Switch output device automatically (checked)
AUDIO OUTPUT SETTINGS :
Primary output port (HDMI out)
Audio format priority (LINEAR PCM)
SYSTEM :
Enable HDMI device link (checked)

SAMSUNG TV CONFIGURATION :
SOUND :
Sound output (tv speakers)
EXTERNAL DEVICE MANAGER :
Anynet+ HDMI-CEC (unchecked)
Game mode settings :
Game mode (Off)
Input signal plus :
HDMI 1 (unchecked)
HDMI 2 (unchecked)
HDMI 3 (unchecked)
HDMI 4 (checked)

PIONEER RECEIVER VSX-934 CONFIGURATION :
SYSTEM SETUP :
INPUT/OUTPUT ASSIGN :
TV OUT/OSD :
HDMI out (main + sub)
Dolby Vision (main)
1080p 4K upscaling (auto)
Zone 2 HDMI (not use)
HDMI INPUT :
BD/DVD : HDMI 1 (HDCP 2.3)
GAME : HDMI 2 (HDCP 2.3)
CBL/SAT : HDMI 3 (HDCP 2.3)
STRM BOX : HDMI 4 (HDCP 2.3)
DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT :
BD/DVD : (no selection)
GAME : Coaxial
CBL/SAT : (no selection)
STRM BOX : (no selection)
CD : Coaxial
TV : Coaxial
ANALOG AUDIO INPUT :
BD/DVD : Audio 1
GAME : (no selection)
CBL/SAT : Audio 2
STRM BOX : Audio 3
CD : Audio 4
TV : (no selection)
SOURCE :
AUDIO SELECT : HDMI
Fixed PCM : (OFF)
HARDWARE :
HDMI CEC : (ON)
HDMI STANDBY THROUGH : Auto(eco)
AUDIO TV OUT (can't select anything not highlighted)
AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL : (Auto)
AUTO DELAY (ON)

I don't want to the receiver to turn on automatically when I turn on the PS4, I only use the receiver for a few games but most of the time I use a headset. Also I'd like to get sound from the TV on the receiver speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Turn off HDMI device link in PS4. Turn off HDMI CEC on Pioneer. You will need to set passthrough to GAME after turning that off. Hook optical from TV to Pioneer. These settings will keep the receiver from turning on when you turn on the PS4.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Turn off HDMI device link in PS4. Turn off HDMI CEC on Pioneer. You will need to set passthrough to GAME after turning that off. Hook optical from TV to Pioneer. These settings will keep the receiver from turning on when you turn on the PS4.
Thanks a lot that worked! Now I'd like to figure out how to get sound from the tv to the speakers... The Pioneer receiver settings are so confusing and there is so much stuff, I don't know if I have to change anything in the settings of the receiver or the tv...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
In the receiver settings, near the passthrough settings, turn TV Speakers setting to off. So, when receiver is off, sound will go to TV, but when receiver is on, sound will play from receiver and not go to TV.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
In the receiver settings, near the passthrough settings, turn TV Speakers setting to off. So, when receiver is off, sound will go to TV, but when receiver is on, sound will play from receiver and not go to TV.
Where do you find the passthrough settings? I listed before in my previous post some of the various settings on my receiver and I can't find where it is... By the way I also noticed that since I changed the settings in the PS4 now I don't have anymore sound in the center speaker, I only have a 3 speakers system for now (Two bookshelf speakers and one center speaker) I will get the surround speakers soon to add.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You should see the HDMI Standby Through settings when you go to the Hardware>HDMI settings. Set it to GAME. On the Pioneer remote control, press the AUTO/DIRECT button for surround sound instead of STEREO. Check the audio settings on the PS4 and set it to BITSTREAM if it is set to PCM.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
You should see the HDMI Standby Through settings when you go to the Hardware>HDMI settings. Set it to GAME. On the Pioneer remote control, press the AUTO/DIRECT button for surround sound instead of STEREO. Check the audio settings on the PS4 and set it to BITSTREAM if it is set to PCM.
OK I fixed the problems of sound with the PS4 and the center speaker is working now, thanks! As for the HDMI standby through I'm still struggling. When I go to Hardware > HDMI I only have a few options : I can see HDMI CEC "on" , HDMI standby through "Auto(Eco), Audio tv "auto" but it's not highlighted, Audio return channel "auto" and Auto delay "on" but I don't the GAME option in the list...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Turn HDMI-CEC to OFF, then you can switch the standby through to GAME.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Turn HDMI-CEC to OFF, then you can switch the standby through to GAME.
[/QUOTE

OK now I have HDMI-CEC "off", HDMI stand through "GAME", Audio TV out "on" and Audio delay "on" but I still don't get any sound from the tv on the receiver...

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
And by the way now I don't get anymore sound from the PS4 to the receiver speakers...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Set Audio TV out to OFF. This sounds wrong, but it outputs sound from the receiver when the receiver is on and passes it to the TV when the receiver is off. Now, are you going to be using the TV's tuner or apps at all?

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Set Audio TV out to OFF. This sounds wrong, but it outputs sound from the receiver when the receiver is on and passes it to the TV when the receiver is off. Now, are you going to be using the TV's tuner or apps at all?
Well I know I don't know what is going on... I will work on that some time tomorrow I won't have time tonight, however I really appreciate your help and advices. My wife doesn't want the stereo on when she watches tv and I don't use any apps at all. I'm not familiar at all with Samsung HD tv and this new receiver settings. I had a Sony Bravia and a Sony STRDH550 receiver before and I didn't have any issues to set it up. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis