What is "pure direct"?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thing you will learn about me very quickly is that I walk to a different beat. I could give a rat's ass what the consensus is out there. When I auditioned my current speakers, they were setup with an integrated amp without room correction because I wanted to know what they sounded like. That is how and why I purchased them. The bass response of my towers is very good for the music I listen too with the exception of pipe organ music. For that genre, I will deploy the sub but still turn off room correction.
When you simply state it, that would enable quicker learning....

I don't see that your method is all that original, many 2ch folk feel the same way. Been there done that, didn't work for me. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am 100% for larger-than-life bass, but there's no wrong way about it, just preference.

Some people prefer the extra bass, some people hate it.

That's why manufacturers give consumers a few options (Pure, Direct, Straight, Stereo, etc).

Everyone needs to try the different settings and decide what sounds best to him/her.

There's no point trying to convince anyone that what you have is somehow the most "pure" or best.

What's really important is that people are 100% happy with the sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am 100% for larger-than-life bass, but there's no wrong way about, just preference.

Some people prefer the extra bass, some people hate it.

What's really important is that you are 100% happy with the sound.
It also has something to do with the music you listen to....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
When you simply state it, that would enable quicker learning....

I don't see that your method is all that original, many 2ch folk feel the same way. Been there done that, didn't work for me. :)
Curious, where did I simply state that would enable quicker learning? And where did I ever imply that my method is original? You are reading far too much into one I said.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, where did I simply state that would enable quicker learning? And where did I ever imply that my method is original? You are reading far too much into one I said.
I just meant it would be simpler to simply state something rather than expecting some sort of monitoring your various posts to learn your preference/position.....

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Everyone needs to try the different settings and decide what sounds best to him/her.
Boy, if I had a nickel for every time that advice has been given in this forum...

There's no point trying to convince anyone that what you have is somehow the most "pure" or best.
Unless you're talking politics or religion. Then it's easy.

lovinthehd said:
it would be simpler to simply state something
Can you explain?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Boy, if I had a nickel for every time that advice has been given in this forum...
Well, I think it's good if we said something like "This is exactly how I do it and what I recommend based on my theory. You can try the same, but just keep in mind that YMMV." :D

Q: What is Pure Direct?
A: Pure Direct attempts to minimize additional processing (DSP, EQ).

Q: Which surround mode is best?
A: It is subjective and you must try each mode to see what sounds best to you.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I think it's good if we said something like "This is exactly how I do it and what I recommend based on my theory. You can try the same, but just keep in mind that YMMV." :D
Agree. I was not poking at the words. Merely pointing out that, "whatever sounds best to you", is not only acceptable, is the "right" answer to many audio questions.

It seems a lot of folks have the belief that something is always "right" or "best" in audio. It can be difficult to convince them there is no universal "right" or "best" in many cases. (Except for my Phil3s, Denon, Emotiva, Oppo, Rythmik and SVS. They're the best.)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agree. I was not poking at the words. Merely pointing out that, "whatever sounds best to you", is not only acceptable, is the "right" answer to many audio questions.

It seems a lot of folks have the belief that something is always "right" or "best" in audio. It can be difficult to convince them there is no universal "right" or "best" in many cases. (Except for my Phil3s, Denon, Emotiva, Oppo, Rythmik and SVS. They're the best.)
Oh, no, no. Everyone knows that RBH, Linkwitz Lab, Denon, and ATI are unequivocally the best.

Now if someone were to buy my Linkwitz Orion, then I would have to remove them from The Best List. :D

B

Bennett83

Audiophyte
Pure Direct is whatever the manufacturer implements.
This is documented and passed to marketing for messaging.
It is then translated into English :D

- Rich
Apologies if it's a bit late (2018) but that's just nonsense and proves that some people are more bothered about bright lights and fancy leds showing Dolby Atmos etc than actual real life sound. Moral of the story listen with your ears not your eyes

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Apologies if it's a bit late (2018) but that's just nonsense and proves that some people are more bothered about bright lights and fancy leds showing Dolby Atmos etc than actual real life sound. Moral of the story listen with your ears not your eyes
You quoted the wrong person. Pure direct in Yamaha speak turns off the room correction facility which may or may not drastically alter the sound coming from your speakers depending on the rooms acoustics. Its deeper than turning off indicator lights and status flags like you want to believe.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am not following you.
Oppo Pure Direct turns off the front panel and video output.

Marantz Pure Direct turns off PEQ/REQ but may or may not digitize the incoming signal based upon input and other settings that include bi-amp, double-bass, delay, etc.

So what is Pure Direct? It depends. ;)

- Rich

forart.it

forart.it

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, sorry to revive this old 3ad but we need help from owners of Yamaha receivers: does the "pure direct" mode works on ALL channels simultaneously ?

We're planning to use a surround receiver as a stereo multichannel DAC+amplifier (check out these interesting projects).

Thanks in advice for anyone that will help.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Pure Direct typically shuts of all video and most audio processing.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
On my Yamaha RX-A1020 , pure direct shuts off the front panel display, and directs audio to the front L-R speakers only.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis