Mark Levinson No. 5101 Networking Super Audio CD Player

J

Joemt

Audiophyte
I recently purchased a Sony UBP-X800 and the only DVD-A which I tried to play with it was one that I had burnt. It's message is: "Unable to play this disc"
Following that, I figured that it wouldn't play any DVD-A. The real situation is that it won't play all DVD-A discs.
But my OPPO BDP-95 plays it without a hitch.
Same here, I have a number of store bought DVD-A's the Sony ( UBP-X800) plays fine, but none of the one's I've burned will play in it. They play in all my other universal players ( Onkyo, Marantz, Lexicon, Pioneer), not the Sony. Back to the Levinson thread, I see myself owning this player down the road.

Joemt.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Same here, I have a number of store bought DVD-A's the Sony ( UBP-X800) plays fine, but none of the one's I've burned will play in it. They play in all my other universal players ( Onkyo, Marantz, Lexicon, Pioneer), not the Sony. Back to the Levinson thread, I see myself owning this player down the road.

Joemt.
Never tried to burn a dvd audio disc, do they have a particular disc format needed vs commercially produced DVD-As? (like dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw). Do you burn multi-ch material particularly? @Verdinut too.

J

Joemt

Audiophyte
I burn 2 channel DVD-A only, but can do multi. Burn onto DVD-r. Sourced from HDtracks or my own LP's. LP's are digitized via Tascam da-3000 at 24/96.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I burn 2 channel DVD-A only, but can do multi. Burn onto DVD-r. Sourced from HDtracks or my own LP's. LP's are digitized via Tascam da-3000 at 24/96.
Just looked at my Oppo 203 for disc compatibility, says it can play DVD (+/-/RW) if finalized. I kind of remember finalizing dvd discs from software long ago....but haven't been burning dvd movies for a while either. Might have to try burning some audio discs to see what my various optical disc players do with it!

ps Why not just burn a cd instead of dvd for 2ch?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Love it!
$5K for the actual reason of this thread... is already a stupid amount of money... for something that most computers should be able to do with little fuss.
I ask: What am I missing?
When I was familiarizing myself with Aurender because they were exhibiting at the CAS this year, I said, "OK, cool, streamers, next please." I didn't pursue pricing.
When I learned the pricing after the show... :eek:o_O:(

My first car, a 1992 Ford Festiva L listed at just under $7K. I drove that for 17+yrs, replacing it in 2003 after the transmission failed.

I wonder how long the A30 will last... or, does it come with a lifetime supply of Coca... err... um...
cola? :):p:rolleyes:
Am I missing something but how did you drive a 1992 Ford Festiva for 17+ years if you replaced it in 2003 after the transmission failed?:) Or did you just replace the transmission? Sorry to be so obtuse.

J

Joemt

Audiophyte
CD is 16/44.1 If one has purchased hi-rez audio, then it should be preserved as such. As for the lp's, yes they could be saved at 16/44 but I choose to record them at 24/96.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Am I missing something but how did you drive a 1992 Ford Festiva for 17+ years if you replaced it in 2003 after the transmission failed?:) Or did you just replace the transmission? Sorry to be so obtuse.
:p
Way to call me on a 6 mos old typo! ;)
The 1992 Festiva became a 2008 Honda Fit in mid-'09.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just looked at my Oppo 203 for disc compatibility, says it can play DVD (+/-/RW) if finalized. I kind of remember finalizing dvd discs from software long ago....but haven't been burning dvd movies for a while either. Might have to try burning some audio discs to see what my various optical disc players do with it!

ps Why not just burn a cd instead of dvd for 2ch?
I have the HD-Audio Solo Ultra 4.4 software on one of my computers, but I haven't used it for awhile. I used it several times to burn DVD-As from downloaded HD Master FLAC files which I had purchased. I also transferred operas which took 3 or 4 CDs unto one DVD-A with excellent results.

With it, you can burn DVD-A discs from various stereo files and upsample them to 24-96 and even mix them up from 2ch stereo to 5.1 multichannel.
That software was developed by Cirlinca many years ago. My software is not working as well as it was since I switched from Win XP to Win 8.1. To complicate the situation, Cirlinca closed their business.
But a site is making that discontinued product available and maybe you could give it a try should you be interested. However, I would suggest that before you try it, that you scan it with your anti-malware/antivirus software. Let me know if you decided to try it. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, tho
I have the HD-Audio Solo Ultra 4.4 software on one of my computers, but I haven't used it for awhile. I used it several times to burn DVD-As from downloaded HD Master FLAC files which I had purchased. I also transferred operas which took 3 or 4 CDs unto one DVD-A with excellent results.

With it, you can burn DVD-A discs from various stereo files and upsample them to 24-96 and even mix them up from 2ch stereo to 5.1 multichannel.
That software was developed by Cirlinca many years ago. My software is not working as well as it was since I switched from Win XP to Win 8.1. To complicate the situation, Cirlinca closed their business.
But a site is making that discontinued product available and maybe you could give it a try should you be interested. However, I would suggest that before you try it, that you scan it with your anti-malware/antivirus software. Let me know if you decided to try it. :)

Why would you upsample anything?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Curious, tho

Why would you upsample anything?
I did upsample most transfers from CD to DVD-A. The software allows that possibility but I didn't notice any dynamic range extension or SQ improvement doing it.
By the way, for the burning of DVD-As, you can use either a DVD-R or a DVD+R disc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did upsample most transfers from CD to DVD-A. The software allows that possibility but I didn't notice any dynamic range extension or SQ improvement doing it.
By the way, for the burning of DVD-As, you can use either a DVD-R or a DVD+R disc.
Why, tho? Why not just burn another cd, where's the dvd advantage......more content per disc? (then again why play discs?)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Why, tho? Why not just burn another cd, where's the dvd advantage......more content per disc? (then again why play discs?)
The transfers from CD to DVD-A were only to reduce the number of discs as in the case of classical works mostly operas necessitating several CDs. You can put the contents of up to 6 CDs onto 1 DVD-A.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The transfers from CD to DVD-A were only to reduce the number of discs as in the case of classical works mostly operas necessitating several CDs. You can put the contents of up to 6 CDs onto 1 DVD-A.
No wonder I never encountered that need...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks man I just thought I was reading that wrong.

Still running the fit? Hope you get 17+ years out of it.:)
Nope... that baby rolled after sliding on somebody's gravel debris on the road in front of their driveway. Country living... went over and around 2.5 times... had to carefully drop myself in the upside down car with the emergency belt release. Insurance gave me almost full value for the car. Went with a 2012 CRV. Dunno if I'll go Honda again. But if i'm getting paid well in a few years, I might do the Cyber Truck! :p

*shrugs

Or not. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis